Jan 07, 2020, 01:02 PM
Build and Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004
Two years ago I would agree. I did some testing on it again this year (after hearing they changed the manufacturing process) and it is very similar.

I'm using it on mine.

Updates are coming soon. I've been trying to get all of the CAD work done up front so I can release it all at once.

Tom
Good to know. Thanks, Tom, for all your hard work and generosity!

I've wrapped a couple of booms and practiced CNC cutting tail cores while we wait!

to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2020, 01:33 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
SWEET!

I'm putting all of my files for this (and Brandy) up on a Microsoft Teams site. I should have it all up there in the next few days and I'll share access.
Jan 07, 2020, 10:13 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Some more teasers... Wing and tail planform detail

This overlays within a mm or two of the original NXT wing... using the same offsets, sweeps, and very slight adjustments for bagging. Cores can be slightly sanded / trimmed to match the fabric template at the top of the drawing.

I shortened span by about a cm to make sure it's competition legal for all builders. If you want to stretch it back out to the max, adjust the tip panel slightly.

These tails are adjusted a bit for 3/32 sheet with glass bagged on either side. I'll also be publishing files for molds and foam cuts for folks with CNCs who want to make molded tails.
Jan 08, 2020, 07:44 AM
Just food for thought, I've had success with balsa tails covered with laminating film. 1.5 mil works like regular Monokote and adds almost no weight. The Lamination Depot.com has huge supply for very little.
Jan 08, 2020, 08:14 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
The beauty of this is people can build however they want. I'm just releasing shapes, sizes, drawings, etc. I'll probably try one with laminating film for kicks.
Jan 08, 2020, 10:57 AM
Build and Fly
I'm thinking about milling airfoils into some balsa for kicks, too. Balsa makes for a surprisingly high performance "foam."

I think I've got a couple miles of laminating film, too!
Jan 08, 2020, 11:50 AM
Tarzanstyle English Sorry

Sorry

Sorry Tom
Just to be sure....
Units on wing drawing are cm and on tail drawing are inches?
Ago
Jan 08, 2020, 12:13 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Yes, sorry... it depends on when I took the screen shot. I do all of my drawing in metric, then convert to imperial units because my CAM software forces that. I'll publish all of the drawings later, but I wanted to get a quick preview out.

It's very confusing for me too. I need to get the latest service release on my CAM software so I don't have to convert to inches to machine things

Here's the metric tail drawing preview
Jan 08, 2020, 12:33 PM
Tarzanstyle English Sorry

Thanks

Quote:
Yes, sorry... it depends on when I took the screen shot. I do all of my drawing in metric, then convert to imperial units because my CAM software forces that. I'll publish all of the drawings later, but I wanted to get a quick preview out.

It's very confusing for me too. I need to get the latest service release on my CAM software so I don't have to convert to inches to machine things

Here's the metric tail drawing preview
Thank you Tom
Jan 08, 2020, 01:42 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Preview of pod / boom fuselage drawing with sheet tails and full flying horizontal.

Horizontal can be built also with a conventional fixed tail mount / hinged.
Jan 09, 2020, 09:24 PM
What is the plan for the wing layup?

Guess I need to get off the computer and finish my cutter.
Jan 10, 2020, 08:25 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Bagged two panel wings... Mine will be .060 carbon rod spars with glass skins (maybe disser if I'm feeling fancy) and faced flapperons.
Jan 10, 2020, 09:29 AM
Build and Fly
Quote:
Preview of pod / boom fuselage drawing with sheet tails and full flying horizontal.

Horizontal can be built also with a conventional fixed tail mount / hinged.
I've always liked the idea of full flying horizontals, but haven't built one yet. Are you using a push rod for that, or pull-spring?
Jan 10, 2020, 09:33 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
I do pushrod, specifically .024 stainless wire. I have 3d printed the mechanism and it's pretty nice. I stressed it to failure of the tail but probably should do some more testing to make sure it's beefy enough.

I printed with Siraya Tech "Blu" which is a high impact material. Pics to follow as soon as I get a chance to print a fresh one. I added threaded reinforcements for attachment of the horizontal since taking this screen shot.
Jan 10, 2020, 09:58 AM
Build and Fly
You guys and your fancy SLA printers! Lol That's pretty cool, though.

Since I don't have one, maybe I'll make a G_T-style integrated CF mount if I go that way.

Quick Reply