Dec 19, 2019, 06:55 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Might be a dumb question but early in the thread you said a 2 panel wing with maybe the option in future to upgrade to a 4.

What do you mean by a 2 and 4 panel wing?

So after reading the posts now, am I right to assume what well have is a home build-able NXT but with a bagged wing and a pod and round boom fuse and your choice of tails? With the pod part being able to be bought from you and the rest built at home by ourselves?
Methinks it is the count of foam blocks in each wing half. The more panels, the more it mimics an elliptical wing shape.
BP
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2019, 07:57 PM
Thank you, my knowledge of building a composite plane is absolutely zero, I have a lot to learn and fast if I take on having a go at one of these.

Although to be honest, I'd cheat as much as I can get most parts made for me where possible. I'm already thinking of milled cores and getting a carbon bagged wing instead of glass. I'm pretty sure that would still be more than good enough for me.
Dec 19, 2019, 10:10 PM
Build and Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004
Barry,

I have a 3D printed jig (four pieces) that you put next to a straight edge on a flat table that perfectly key the fuselage and boom together. I'll just share the .stl files for those that have a printer. For those who don't, they can be included for a couple bucks or shared between friends since you only need them for the alignment and gluing of the boom.

@ others... just moved this past weekend (hopefully my last for a long while) so I'll get more posted in the next day or three.
This is good info, but I think Barry was referring to the joint where the 2-piece wing comes together. I'm interested to see how you accomplish that as well.
Dec 20, 2019, 09:01 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Might be a dumb question but early in the thread you said a 2 panel wing with maybe the option in future to upgrade to a 4.

What do you mean by a 2 and 4 panel wing?

So after reading the posts now, am I right to assume what well have is a home build-able NXT but with a bagged wing and a pod and round boom fuse and your choice of tails? With the pod part being able to be bought from you and the rest built at home by ourselves?
Correct sir.

What I'm trying to do is basically give that level of performance with shared construction. I will source pods and tails but you eventually will be able to get them elsewhere too. I'll be sharing the CAD files and even the G-Code for the molds. No secrets. Anybody with a little scrap corian and access to a CNC for a few hours will be able to make a mold and produce (even for sale if they want) fuselage parts. If you get good at it and want to produce them for your friends or for sale, you can.

@Sam, this is the wing that I prototyped for NXT back in the winter of 2013 / 2014. The wing was originally built as a one piece wing, 2P. I did this similarly to when I created Jingo (bagged) and it became SuperFr3aK (molded.) The molded NXT performed better than the 2P bagged prototype, but only slightly and honestly only in turbulence. In smoother, calmer air it's very hard to tell the difference.

As for tails, I have drawn a set and cut new molds, but bagged tails are fine, sheet balsa tails work, and any of the available NXT sized tails from third party builders would be great. Again, as with the fuselage molds I'll be sharing the files and methodology for construction, so I would imagine parts will be available from other sources shortly.

I will also be sharing the files for the original NXT wing so that if someone would want to produce molded wings they could do so. For me, doing wing production is okay for a couple here and there for myself, but I have no desire to do the level of paint work that the "production" shops do, and honestly most modelers expect nowadays. I just don't have the facilities to spray 2k every day.

I'm building these as a two piece wing with a simple joiner assembly. I'll make the parts available for the joiner, but I suspect most people after seeing how I make them could do their own. It's really very simple and only requires some waxed paper, mold release, epoxy, and carbon tow.

So... start with sheet tails and a bagged (or even taped) wing, then upgrade part by part until you have a molded wing and tails sitting on a molded fuselage. At that point, yes you essentially have a NXT as I was originally making them. If you're more of a competition flier, maybe you want to start with a 4p or molded wing and tails from the get-go. The key is releasing all of the drawings so that parts can be produced by different folks that all fit together and are designed as a system to work well together. I'm close to finishing up the composite, only needing to add the tail mount and wing bolts etc. Once that's done, I'll start putting files online for people to share... and of course letting out some more shop and flying pics / videos.

The drawback of moving again is that I have my shop all torn down for transport. The good part is that I now live in a place where I can walk out of my house and throw a DLG. I have one and a half of these produced so far, expecting to bring at least two plus a NXT Stream to San Felasco in about 60 days. I'm waiting on delivery of some wider FG strapping tape to do testing on a fully budget wing, no bagging.
Dec 20, 2019, 09:38 AM
That’s sounds awesome !

While I’m not or ever will be a top 5-10 pilot here in the uk, what really attracts me to this idea is taking the time initially to get molds made and basically have a plane for life, can make new parts as and when I need them. A plain carbon wing and some glass tails will see me fine. No more worrying that a current plane is past its hype and no longer supported.

Brilliant idea Tom.
Dec 21, 2019, 05:39 PM
Tarzanstyle English Sorry
Hi Tom
Just a question.
Do you think starting from your original design, maybe with only few changes (My idea is:less dyhedral,only upper vertical and little more weight..circa 300-350g)is it possible to build it for medium to light slope condition?
I think :2P Wings and tail feathers all bagged glass..maybe a glass fuse made with moulds.(I own two cnc router and a 3 d printer and Im not new with composites materials).
Worth a try?
Any different suggestions?
I take this opportunity to thank you for sharing all the time interesting projects.
Ago
Dec 22, 2019, 11:35 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
I like the idea of the pod and boom fuse. I wonder if there would be a way to make the boom removable? With a 2-piece wing it would make for a super portable glider. Great for taking on vacation and keeping in the trunk.
Latest blog entry: Canola Huckin'
Dec 23, 2019, 08:00 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgoMago
Hi Tom
Just a question.
Do you think starting from your original design, maybe with only few changes (My idea is:less dyhedral,only upper vertical and little more weight..circa 300-350g)is it possible to build it for medium to light slope condition?
I think :2P Wings and tail feathers all bagged glass..maybe a glass fuse made with moulds.(I own two cnc router and a 3 d printer and Im not new with composites materials).
Worth a try?
Any different suggestions?
I take this opportunity to thank you for sharing all the time interesting projects.
Ago
I think that would be a great idea for a light sloper. I always add a layer of 1.7 kevlar cloth in the fuselage forward section for guys who want to fly on the slope. It only adds 4-6g but increases durability a lot.
Dec 23, 2019, 10:23 AM
Tarzanstyle English Sorry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004
I think that would be a great idea for a light sloper. I always add a layer of 1.7 kevlar cloth in the fuselage forward section for guys who want to fly on the slope. It only adds 4-6g but increases durability a lot.
Thanks for the answer and for the condivision of your projects Tom
Happy Christmas
Ago
Dec 24, 2019, 12:06 PM
Adam
I love my bagged Solar DLG and feel it flies very well... the limitation is my lack of flying practice and skill. I wouldn't hesitate to get a bagged DLG.
Jan 02, 2020, 09:20 PM
Build and Fly
Jan 03, 2020, 08:51 PM
Sounds very interesting, Ive been looking for something exactly like this. Looking forward to updates.
Jan 05, 2020, 04:29 PM
Aurora Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnjmn
I'll warn you on the green foam..not as stiff as the pink or blue for the same weight and less bond strength...
Jan 05, 2020, 07:44 PM
Build and Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us
I'll warn you on the green foam..not as stiff as the pink or blue for the same weight and less bond strength...
Thanks, I'll try to remember that when I'm shopping for foam. Unfortunately, this is the best I have found in a regular store around here. The blue stuff doesn't exist, and the pink stuff only goes to 15psi. This is still only 25psi, but I kind of made up for it on the last build by putting on a thicker skin. 25psi foam with 90gsm carbon yielded a 1m wing at ~72g, and I haven't dinged it or fingerprinted it yet. I admit I need to call around and find some better foam at some point. I need to make a Corian connection, too.
Jan 07, 2020, 08:03 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us
Two years ago I would agree. I did some testing on it again this year (after hearing they changed the manufacturing process) and it is very similar.

I'm using it on mine.

Updates are coming soon. I've been trying to get all of the CAD work done up front so I can release it all at once.

Tom

Quick Reply