Nov 19, 2020, 09:32 AM
Sounds great Tom! Hope to see you at Villa on Saturday.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2020, 10:02 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Let's play "Guess that 3D printed part" again...
Nov 19, 2020, 10:14 AM
Two piece wing joiner box?
Nov 19, 2020, 10:30 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
That was too easy, wasn't it?

It accommodates a 1/8 aluminum joiner and a 4mm screw for the wing attachment. This will be an option for even bagged wings to do two piece, since it's installed in much the same way our hardpoints would be today. It's hard to tell in the picture, but it is also profiled to match the wing skins, so you can relieve the foam before bagging, tack this in place with 3m77, then just bag it into the layup.

This one is printed in normal resin and will be my destruction test part. I'm printing some in structural resin right now that will go in my next wing (pun intended)

This was a surprisingly complex part to draw. More than one moment led to a head scratch and a few undos... but this part looks excellent at the moment. I'm VERY tempted to revisit RDS now that we have resin printing available and structural resins. They are just flexible enough to be ridiculously strong. Making the yokes and fitting to the servos would be beyond easy, and I'm thinking I could print a splined shaft that would only need metal where it interfaces with the RDS box.
Last edited by tom43004; Nov 19, 2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added screen shot
Nov 19, 2020, 10:35 AM
Even if it was too easy, it's only because someone taught me everything I know....... I miss flying with Phil
Nov 19, 2020, 10:39 AM
F3B and F3K
I miss flying with Phil so badly too. So much entertainment and shenanigans, especially if Gerald was present too. And always competitive, resulting in some of the furthest land-outs during practice..

Nice design Tom. I like that it includes joiner box and "wing lock" mechanism. I would be worried that the box could break if it is made only of Resin. Maybe wrap it with Kevlar thread?

Reto
Latest blog entry: thoughts on contest flying
Nov 19, 2020, 10:47 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
I thought if needed I'll just score it and wrap it with kevlar, but honestly the whole system is so stout I'm not sure we can break it. I know I'll try.

Honestly my first test is to put it in an F5K plane WITHOUT THE JOINER and see if I can break it in the air. I bet I can't. From there I plan to lighten it up gradually by hollowing the assembly more and more. Maybe when fully hollowed it will need the kevlar?

I too miss Phil. I ran across some pictures with him and Gerald in my photo album just this past weekend. Last time I talked with him he was more chatty than normal, just after the whole Covid thing hit. Maybe I'll reach out to him again.
Nov 19, 2020, 11:07 AM
This one is my current work desktop. Flew with him all weekend. One of his flyoff flight in that contest is still the longest return from nowhere I've ever seen. Longer than Gavin leaning against san felasco hay bales with a 16 oz blaster or Seid landing 2 seconds before the end of the landing window after making 100yrds at 3inch AGL.

You just milling joiners out of 1/8in plate or do you have a source for them?
Nov 19, 2020, 11:08 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinhlg
You just milling joiners out of 1/8 plate or do you have a source for them?
Yep (milling)

One of my favorites...
Last edited by tom43004; Nov 19, 2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added Picture

Quick Reply