Dec 13, 2019, 05:00 PM
mth
mth
I’m currently working with my boss to see how we can use the g code on our cnc for molds and parts.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2019, 05:22 PM
Build and Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004
Sean,
I didn't make it a full length fuse, but rather a pod / boom using standard allegro booms. That allows the user to build it how they want, either trimmed per plan or maybe leaving it full length if desired. That also simplifies construction for folks who may be new to bladder molding. Shorter fuses are MUCH less prone to mistakes in demolding, etc.
Good call. Can't wait to see drawings!
Dec 13, 2019, 05:59 PM
Would the fuse be similar to your Fr3ak designs?

Top drive?
Dec 14, 2019, 08:18 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Similar yes, slightly different. Here's a preview of the drawings and molds. The composite is shown with a molded NXT wing. I don't have any drawings of the bagged wing but I can share dimensions for the 2P.

This fuse would be a direct fit for NXT wings and should fit SuperFr3aK and Fr3aK wings with just a little saddle adjustment.
Dec 14, 2019, 09:37 AM
Oh cool so pod and boom type fuse?

Since I’m in the uk that would help keep shipping down as I can buy the pod part from you and then source my own boom?
Dec 14, 2019, 09:53 AM
plays with toy planes
This is fantastic.

Two piece is key for me. Is the 2pc joint you envision DIY buildable?
Dec 14, 2019, 03:26 PM
Build and Fly
I suppose it should be asked how open you're planning to make this project. Do you envision opening up the plans to the community at large, or do you plan something more like distributing the work among a few, dedicated builders who would be responsible for making all of the parts?

Edit: Went back and read the first post. Looks pretty open to me! I would love to be able to bring an NXT Sport to San Felasco.
Last edited by ibnjmn; Dec 14, 2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Short memory
Dec 14, 2019, 05:26 PM
Come out swinging
Pod and boom is a good idea too.

For the fat wing, maybe that one becomes an electric version? I'm a little off, but imagining a $200 1.5m electric model. Something that flies better than a Radian. Fat wing (taped), glass pod, Allegro boom, CNC balsa milled tails. Probably would need a carbon tube under the tape on the wing.

Remove the motor and launch it 30m or so.

Sean
Dec 14, 2019, 11:06 PM
Nice project-I would be interested .
I used to bag a lot of sailplane wings in the late 90s. Still have all my equipment!

Thought about doing your F5j project - but with the state of the FAA restrictions - I agree the DLG would be a better way to go.
Thanks, Jack
Dec 15, 2019, 01:02 PM
Aurora Builder
Interesting 2P wing dimensions. I wonder what the delta is between that and a 4P wing? Personally I did t observe much in the early days of the Zone airfoil series, and more delta could be attributed to overall build quality than number of panels.

I know I would be interested in the 2 piece wing variant, bagged, especially if CNC cut cores were available. I’ve thought about that some myself, as I could go full CNC router cut cores, 60 or 100 psi foam top chucks for a cheapish mold, and total build time would be a lot lower than cutting more Corian. The downside for me is I dislike vacuum bagging; relative to compression molding it’s more labor intensive for lower quality parts. For most shops though it is the right answer.

On the tails, I’ve never been a fan of balsa tails. Quality light balsa is just too hard to come by. Bagged foam core tails are simple enough and if built light enough performance is generally on pr with a molded set.

For the fuselage, I think I prefer one piece. Light booms just don’t really exist, and bladder molding a whole fuselage vs. just the pod isn’t a big deal IMO. One advantage of the pod is you could build them in two pieces with conventional bagging techniques which might be simpler for some.

All of that being said I would be curious how a super cheap variant performed, with the Zagi style strapping on wings and tails and the cheap two piece fuselage.
Dec 16, 2019, 02:51 PM
Come out swinging
"All of that being said I would be curious how a super cheap variant performed, with the Zagi style strapping on wings and tails and the cheap two piece fuselage."

Something like that, I would see as entry level, slightly competitive, almost like the Mountain Models DL50, but larger. The DL50 was about $100, I'd think $200 for a tape-wing pod/boom model is fair. I'm not sure what the final outcome of this will be, but it sounds like something in the $400 range. I do believe that with today's aero software and section design skills this group has, a fatter taped wing that flies VERY well is definitely achievable.

For context, when Joe designed the JW, he started with the trailing edge, knowing it would be balsa TE stock, and designed around that. Construction and durability was certainly a part of it.

Sean
Dec 18, 2019, 01:45 AM
Absolutely a great ideal!!!
Dec 19, 2019, 02:37 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry d
This is fantastic.

Two piece is key for me. Is the 2pc joint you envision DIY buildable?
Barry,

I have a 3D printed jig (four pieces) that you put next to a straight edge on a flat table that perfectly key the fuselage and boom together. I'll just share the .stl files for those that have a printer. For those who don't, they can be included for a couple bucks or shared between friends since you only need them for the alignment and gluing of the boom.

@ others... just moved this past weekend (hopefully my last for a long while) so I'll get more posted in the next day or three.
Dec 19, 2019, 02:57 PM
Might be a dumb question but early in the thread you said a 2 panel wing with maybe the option in future to upgrade to a 4.

What do you mean by a 2 and 4 panel wing?

So after reading the posts now, am I right to assume what we’ll have is a home build-able NXT but with a bagged wing and a pod and round boom fuse and your choice of tails? With the pod part being able to be bought from you and the rest built at home by ourselves?
Dec 19, 2019, 05:47 PM
JimN8UAY
Tom, sounds like a perfect project for this winter...Fuse pre-made up and wing templates/layup schedule would be great to have. Suggestions/sources for materials? I'm following this thread!

Quick Reply