Dec 12, 2019, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Shuttle zx top start

I have a Shuttle zx with belt start which I am restoring, but would like to change to top start. What do I need?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2019, 07:33 PM
Still gassin' it.
Almost 20 years since I had a shuttle, but I seem to remember that for that change you needed a different frame as the construction of the clutch was entirely different and would not fit in the bearing seats of a beltstarted shuttle.

Not sure though, it was a long time ago.
Dec 13, 2019, 03:11 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helijoe58
I have a Shuttle zx with belt start which I am restoring, but would like to change to top start. What do I need?
It will take some engineering, machining and diligent search on the internet. You need a different clutch setup that has a start shaft to stick up over the clutch housing and pinion gear. Then you need a bearing block and bearing to support the extended start shaft. Then you need a start adapter like a hex. Then you need a starter with a starting wand that has a hex end to engage.

Quite a lot of work but if you are willing and able, anything is possible. Is it worth all the trouble? Only you can decide.
Dec 17, 2019, 06:02 PM

Hirobo Shuttle

I agree with the previous post. A LOT of rework to upgrade. Have you checked the Classifieds on Helicopters for sale? There're a couple Shuttles for sale...not a bad price either...especially considering they have the engine and exhaust systems. Shuttles were a fun copter.. I still fly the Hirobo's and Kyosho helis....with flybars..
Dave Clark
Wichita, Ks
Dec 17, 2019, 06:09 PM

Shuttle Parts

Oh...and RCJapan carries tons of Hirobo replacement / repair parts. Chihiro is 1st class in helping find parts..even if they show 'Discontinued'.. They've found several parts from their supplier for my Caliber 60...and you can't find any parts in the US for the Caliber...unless it's on ebay...and they're usually not the parts needed. (I know, we're talking about Hirobo stuff....just wanted to say that RCJapan is very helpful ... on all the vintage helicopter parts.)
Dave Clark
Dec 17, 2019, 06:31 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave clark 5
I agree with the previous post. A LOT of rework to upgrade. Have you checked the Classifieds on Helicopters for sale? There're a couple Shuttles for sale...not a bad price either...especially considering they have the engine and exhaust systems. Shuttles were a fun copter.. I still fly the Hirobo's and Kyosho helis....with flybars..
Dave Clark
Wichita, Ks
If the OP needs a start belt to keep it original, I think I may even have a belt. Mine is converted to electric.
Dec 19, 2019, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
When I started flying in the 90s, I flew with a group who had mostly shuttles. Many of them changed the clutch bells and some other parts to make them hex top starts. Unfortunately my memory is not that good. I fly electrics now but the thought of getting my first heli flying is challenging. Or crazy.

Quick Reply