Dec 11, 2019, 07:26 PM
SLCPilot still sucks!
Thread OP
Discussion

REALLY fast planes off water?

I love fast planes. I have fast electrics and fly turbines. I am wondering if there are any crazy fast planes for flying off water. I don’t really want to fly a turning off water though. Anything in the 130-150mph range?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2019, 05:34 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Have a look at what this chap is doing:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...powered-WETJET
Cheers,
PeteM
Dec 13, 2019, 08:22 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Model Aero had a EDF that was pretty quick,, sadly I think they folded up shop

https://www.flyrc.com/model-aero-pol...ane-parkflyer/
Dec 13, 2019, 09:21 AM
SLCPilot still sucks!
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Does look like model Aero closed up.
Dec 13, 2019, 10:00 AM
Hobbyking clone or kinda copy??

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/h-king-s...range-pnf.html

Could be modded to go fast I guess?
Dec 14, 2019, 05:04 PM
Retired US Navy
Float plane check, speedy check...
Dec 15, 2019, 10:10 AM
You can look for plans for old Schneider Cup racing planes that were flown in the 1920s and 1930s....some of them were very fast for the times.
Dec 15, 2019, 01:12 PM
Years ago I envisioned a fast flying float plane with floats that retract tight to the fuse,, never built it but it was awesome in my mind
Dec 15, 2019, 02:24 PM
SLCPilot still sucks!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
Float plane check, speedy check...
I would prefer electric but that has potential.
Dec 17, 2019, 09:36 AM
Becoming grumpy old man
If you are looking for a really crazy challenge the Piaggio P.7 It never flew in full size, but models have flown. Its a hydroplane- seaplane, really wild design built for speed. Used a boat prop to get up out of the water before the air prop started to turn.
Maquette Piaggio Pc7 à Garabit 1988 (3 min 59 sec)

Model airplanes rc-Piaggio Pegna P7 - (1987) historical video (5 min 6 sec)
Dec 17, 2019, 03:07 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Years ago I envisioned a fast flying float plane with floats that retract tight to the fuse,, never built it but it was awesome in my mind
IMHO the design with the best speed potential is Laddie Mikulasko's "Arrow"—a delta, like the yellow one pictured above, but without floats. Instead it has a single float/hull (picture a retracted center float) and the engine in a pod attached to the fin/rudder. If I were going for straight-line speed, that would be my first choice ... I'd probably lower and lengthen the pod & use a fully piped .40 with a 7-1/2" prop. 6 inches pitch, 25,000 rpm, that's about 150 mph, right? Or close to it, anyway.

Arrgh, stop me before I start gluing!

Cheers,
Duane
Dec 17, 2019, 03:30 PM
Retired US Navy
He wants electric...
Dec 17, 2019, 04:33 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
He wants electric...
Only because he hasn't acquired the mature sensibilities needed to properly appreciate gobs of noise and smoke!

Seriously, I was just saying that's what I would do. But there are plenty of good choices of electric power in that size range. Might have to use a glow-engine prop, though, depending on the rpm.

Cheers,
Duane
Dec 17, 2019, 05:38 PM
Retired US Navy
Yeah, seems like for electric he could pick up a pylon racer and add floats, heck a EFXtra would probably easily do 110, and modified probably 140+...
Dec 18, 2019, 11:58 AM
SLCPilot still sucks!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG
Only because he hasn't acquired the mature sensibilities needed to properly appreciate gobs of noise and smoke!

Seriously, I was just saying that's what I would do. But there are plenty of good choices of electric power in that size range. Might have to use a glow-engine prop, though, depending on the rpm.

Cheers,
Duane
Hah! I love noise and smoke. My jets are for that. Mainly I don't want to fuel planes on my boat. Also, 25K RPM is way easier with electric.

Quick Reply