Dec 11, 2019, 05:20 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Discussion

ST Engine ID

I have two Super Tigre 45's and am getting ready to put one on my new airplane. Can anyone tell me anything about the differences. Which one is the newer design?

The cabs look to be the same and they both came with the same type of swing muffler.

to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2019, 05:23 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Forgot the Photos.
Dec 11, 2019, 08:06 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
This is a complete edit: Solomaster is onto something, and I stand corrected. Apparently I need coffee in the evening to be awake as well! . The .45s with the S inside of a letter G are the earlier version of the GS45. The one with the 45 inside the G is a later iteration. Notice one uses a bolt-on muffler and the other bolt-through? Bolt-on mufflers were the early versions. I have one of each of the early GS45s; they look the same except one is bolt on and the other is bolt through exhaust.
Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; Dec 12, 2019 at 12:22 AM.
Dec 11, 2019, 09:12 PM
I have a ST45 ABC that has a round head and a straight muffler, I think. I'll see if I can get a photo. What's the difference?
Dec 11, 2019, 09:52 PM
I think there both GS 45 ABC, the left one is the earlier one, with the "S" on the emblem. The last version of the S 45, was the "K" which also has a squared, cast head, the first version had the machined round head and fins.
Dec 12, 2019, 12:28 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
I edited my other post since I apparently need to wake up. Sorry. . I explained better of what I know about them in that post. This one I’m adding pics of my two GS45s. One is an early bolt-on muffler version and the other is a newer one using a bolt-through muffler, however they’re both the earlier version with the S inside of the big G. The unrun engine is stupidly tight to turn over. It needs heat to turn through TDC.
Dec 12, 2019, 08:35 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I edited my other post since I apparently need to wake up. Sorry. . I explained better of what I know about them in that post. This one I’m adding pics of my two GS45s. One is an early bolt-on muffler version and the other is a newer one using a bolt-through muffler, however they’re both the earlier version with the S inside of the big G. The unrun engine is stupidly tight to turn over. It needs heat to turn through TDC.
Thanks,

Was there any internal changes? Do they all have the same performance?

Dec 12, 2019, 08:44 AM
I found these in my inventory. Note the different mufflers. The round head was made in Italy, the other in China...

Debating whether to run them, sell them or let them be!
Last edited by Sam Ehab; Dec 12, 2019 at 09:00 AM.
Dec 12, 2019, 08:56 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
That G51 would probably make an excellent sport engine.
Dec 12, 2019, 09:00 AM
Cat Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
I found these in my inventory. Note the different mufflers. The round head was made in Italy, the other in China...

Debating whether to run them, sell them or let then be!
Italy also made the square head versions. That has nothing to do with where they were made only WHEN they were made. The round head versions were much earlier.
Round heads more in the 80's
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...ST%20S.40.html
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...20%281%29.html
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...20%282%29.html

Square heads in the 90's and on.
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...045%20ABC.html
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng.../ST%20G90.html
Dec 12, 2019, 09:40 AM
Quote:

They are great runners. Only drawback is the mufflers are a bit heavy and far forward, so they break the lugs off the motor in a crash. You would not crash them anyway, right? The oldest mufflers are a bit loud too. The carbs are a bit odd to set up but hold the settings well after done right. I never sell motors, you never know when you may need them. Prices are fairly low now, and $50 + or - is nothing overall in the scheme of things. The really old ones before schnuerle might be a a bit different or maybe slower than the newer ones but the newer ones are pretty close to each other in performance in my examples.
Dec 12, 2019, 02:06 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Are there any other brand of mufflers that will fit. I have always thought those ST mufflers were very ugly and heavy. I know that Dub Jett makes mufflers - something other than those.

Dec 12, 2019, 02:15 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:

Keep them… they are "THE engine" to mod to gasoline. From large to small, from baffle piston to modern, as long as they have that movable spraybar insert on the carb, they are fully adjustable for the Dino-juice "as is", no other mods needed. Just hook up, tune LS, HS and midrange, and go fly….

They are brilliant! If I would be flying 2-stroke, ST is all I would buy.
Dec 12, 2019, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus
Keep them… they are "THE engine" to mod to gasoline. From large to small, from baffle piston to modern, as long as they have that movable spraybar insert on the carb, they are fully adjustable for the Dino-juice "as is", no other mods needed. Just hook up, tune LS, HS and midrange, and go fly….

They are brilliant! If I would be flying 2-stroke, ST is all I would buy.
IF I can get them to run with the OS G plug and no CDI, it would be great to experiment with gas on a small engine like those, great idea if it can work!
Dec 12, 2019, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Are there any other brand of mufflers that will fit. I have always thought those ST mufflers were very ugly and heavy. I know that Dub Jett makes mufflers - something other than those.

Ugly and heavy may be, I like how they look , but they are fully adjustable for many applications including helis!

Quick Reply