Dec 11, 2019, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Idea

New Forum Suggestion: "sUAS Rules and Regulations Discussion"

New Forum Suggestion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Name: sUAS Rules and Regulations Discussion

Category: Aircraft-General

Description: A forum for discussing the rules and regulations affecting R/C aircraft.

Justification:
The regulations affecting the R/C aircraft community are changing quite a bit.
The advent of the 2012 and 2018 FAA Reauthorization bills and their successors impact the recreational flying community in significant way.
A discussion of the current regulations is important to help flyers understand how to apply them in day-to-day situations.
Further, information on upcoming regulations and proposed regulations will be helpful so the community can keep up-to-date and influence (ex. via FAA "Request for Comments" on proposed rules) the rule-making process.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2019, 03:21 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!

Yes please. LONG overdue.

A legal forum/blame game forum section should have been created the very same day the mods put the advocacy forum description up.
Dec 11, 2019, 03:43 PM
Well if this new forum is created, there sure will be lots of ready-made content just waiting to be moved in....

Mostly from the "advocacy" forum, but also a few of the ones that were recently moved from there to the AMA forum, such as this one https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...irspace/page11

PS for anyone who missed it, this same idea was floated about a year ago here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ding-a-new-one . Looks like it gathered about 29 "yes" votes as of now, with most of the votes occuring between the time the suggestion was initiated and the end of January 2019. This is the reason for the do-over rather than just reviving the old proposal: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...is-still-valid .

I'm guessing the lack (so far) of a similar response to the present re-do is that most of those people have been driven away from the Advocacy forum by the endless bickering and thus are not aware of the request. Maybe someone should PM each of them with the url of this do-over!

Steve
Last edited by aeronaut999; Dec 13, 2019 at 07:54 AM.
Dec 11, 2019, 04:43 PM
I find myself going back and forth on this. When someone got banned or at least warned, I felt there was a need for it, but on further reflection the same logic behind the ban / warning may apply to this forum too. I don't think the ban / warning was simply based on the idea that talking about the regulations in a way that doesn't give a positive "spin" for rc aviation in general isn't allowed in the "advocacy" forum. Certainly no one else has been banned or warned for that.

So as of now the "advocacy" forum is also functioning as the de facto "regulation and legislation" forum, for the most part.

And I'm not sure I have any problem with that.
Last edited by aeronaut999; Dec 11, 2019 at 09:51 PM.
Dec 11, 2019, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
I find myself going back and forth on this. When someone got banned or at least warned, I felt there was a need for it, but on further reflection the same logic behind the ban / warning may apply to this forum too. I don't think the ban / warning was simply based on the idea that talking about the regulations in a way that doesn't give a positive "spin" for rc aviation in general isn't allowed in the "advocacy" forum. Certainly no one else has been banned or warned for that.

So as of now the "advocacy" forum is so functioning as a de facto "regulation and legislation" forum.

Like i just said in the "Really?" thread.

Franklin is the very definition of a rules/guidelines guy. All he had to do was read and follow the advocacy forum description. Why is that so hard?

I unsubbed from "advocacy" months ago because it was just bickering and blaming drowning out any actual on topic advocacy discussions.
Dec 11, 2019, 07:37 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Yes please.
Dec 12, 2019, 07:59 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Count me as a yes
Latest blog entry: Test entry
Dec 13, 2019, 01:21 PM
Yes
Dec 13, 2019, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999

So as of now the "advocacy" forum is also functioning as the de facto "regulation and legislation" forum, for the most part.

Having a discussion regarding the current legal/regulatory issues currently facing the hobby was not, nor ever was the issue. The issue was (I believe) the continuous ridicule and degradation of both the AMA and other forum users. One example is the constant reference to the National Aeromodeling Center as 'Taj Muncie' being inflammatory (regardless of whether it is a waste of AMA funds or not), and therefore does not contribute to the debate of the issues. Contrary to how many feel today, language and the accuracy of such IS important.

I agree that the whole idea of the 'advocacy' forum is to discuss, in civil tones, not just positive aspects of the hobby, but potential negative ones as well. But the key word here is 'civil'. And the constant stream of insults and ridicule is not civil.

That being said, maybe it is time for a "Regulation and Legislation" forum. But only if it is kept civil as well.

RStrowe
Dec 13, 2019, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrowe

I agree that the whole idea of the 'advocacy' forum is to discuss, in civil tones, not just positive aspects of the hobby, but potential negative ones as well. But the key word here is 'civil'. And the constant stream of insults and ridicule is not civil.
the relentless gloating/badgering about how MR's (and or the AMA) killed the hobby is the complete opposite of what RCG advocacy is described as.
read the forum description, it really is pretty self explanatory.
Dec 14, 2019, 08:02 AM
........ NO , my vote is a NO.
Dec 17, 2019, 01:21 PM
It's always C A V U
yes
Dec 17, 2019, 06:31 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
only if they also remove any mention of "advocacy" from every forum that remains.
Dec 18, 2019, 09:48 AM
lurking in the HOLE :)
So if the Aviation authority imposes a good reg it will go in advocacy and anything else will go in this new forum? Or do we have 2 new forums. Regs bad for us in one and regs good for us in another. Where does it end.

No thanks. Keep it all in one place as it has been for a few years now. I note RCG moderators as writers already have regulation stories in the Advocacy forum. Kinda debunks the whole "advocacy can only be good and not about regs and the AMA" bit.
Dec 18, 2019, 11:53 PM
Yes please, we all need a place to discuss rules and regs and misconception or ask questions about the same.

Quick Reply