Dec 11, 2019, 07:26 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Flair SE5A converted

Here's my most recent project, the conversion of my 25year old SE5A from Flair. Its has never flown on gas, so no issuses with oily stuff
I've replaced the Saito by a Prop Drive 42 on 4S, 2x2200mAh. Thanks to others who have reported their conversion here on RCG the electric setup was easy. It weights roughly the same as described in the manual, so I expect no problems here. CoG was also no problem with the chosen layout.

At the same time I've added a few more details: guns (Willimas Brothers plastic kits), Aldis-sight, rigging. And I've decided to go for a Runcam Split to make it FPV-ready The pilot had to go though...

Now I only need the weather to become more friendly for a maiden!
Salute RB
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2019, 04:12 PM
Nice build

I converted mine from OS48 4-stroke many years ago, using a Graupner Compact 390 motor with an APC E 12x6 prop powered by a 5S A123 pack giving 440 watts. My battery lies flat on the 'floor' of the engine bay, reaching beneath the motor a little but, even so, I needed lead in the nose until I replaced it with two transducers for a sound system.
Dec 13, 2019, 11:24 AM
Thread OP
Thank you! How did it fly? From what I read it’s a fairly good flier with predictable characteristics due to it’s rater low wing loading. My only concern is the stiff undercarriage with no flexibility at all. Any issues there?
Dec 13, 2019, 01:00 PM
A steady and predictable flyer, so long as you've got the c of g as per the plan. I have bent the u/c slightly a few times, but nothing that straightening the wire can't cure -- no damage to the floor of the model. My Flair Magnatilla has the same kind of u/c and it gets bent much more often, perhaps due to the lighter wing loading of the SE5A making my landings smoother and slower.
Dec 14, 2019, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for your answers, much appreciated! I now only need some decent weather...

Quick Reply