Dec 10, 2019, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

eflite 60-120 85 degree retact issue

Hi everyone. I purchased brand new set for my hangar 9 p47 20cc. I also put the optional struts on ( the ones recommended by HH)

they worked great till flight 15-20. I was doing a flyby and noticed the left gear coming down, then going back up. I tried inverted flight, pulling positive and negative g maneuvers (nothing crazy, just pulling up and nosing over) and it was intermittent). when i flipped my gear switch the left gear hung up. i cycled the gear switch a couple times and was able to get both to work. I got her on the ground and cycled the gear several times without issues.

there is nothing binding, no crashes or hard landings, wheels are clear.

anyone have anything similar or have any ideas?

thanks

V.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2019, 08:07 AM
Eye of The Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtach688
Hi everyone. I purchased brand new set for my hangar 9 p47 20cc. I also put the optional struts on ( the ones recommended by HH)

they worked great till flight 15-20. I was doing a flyby and noticed the left gear coming down, then going back up. I tried inverted flight, pulling positive and negative g maneuvers (nothing crazy, just pulling up and nosing over) and it was intermittent). when i flipped my gear switch the left gear hung up. i cycled the gear switch a couple times and was able to get both to work. I got her on the ground and cycled the gear several times without issues.

there is nothing binding, no crashes or hard landings, wheels are clear.

anyone have anything similar or have any ideas?

thanks

V.
My brother had one hang up on him at an airshow and he had to belly land his P-51B red tail. I've had the same happen to my P-51B when I took it to the field and was testing things out and one got hung up. Both of these were for the next size down. He has put some of the 60-120 size ones on a couple of his P-38's and said there is a weak spot in the design of them. I'll see if I can get more information.
Dec 27, 2019, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
Thanks. I sent mine back to horizon. Now awaiting to see what they say.
Dec 31, 2019, 11:23 AM
Work schedule meant I missed this one till now. Sorry.

Familiar with these as I have close to 2 dozen units of different degree sweep. All use tiny microswitches on the control board, activated when the brass trunnion lock runs up to them to stop the cycle each end. In fact, I often purposefully grind one face a bit to extend the travel to strengthen the lock positions.

From what I suspect those switches may have worn, or the board may have shifted or broken. Pretty unusual to see this . Often I find the motor fails and takes out one of the drivers.

However, this is more likely: one thing to note is with the alloy frames these do NOT tolerate any twisting from incorrect mounting surfaces. I would recommend checking this before exposing your returned units to service.

I built the frames in the pics to mount a set of these in Rare Bear, as well as in the T/F Texan. Perfect mounting surface and the ribs add side bracing to the units as well as into the wing structure. Not required. Just ensure your mounting surfaces are flat and true.
Dec 31, 2019, 11:45 AM
Thread OP
So Horizon said the "motors" on the retracts were "bad" on both sets, and they have shipped me a new pair. I have a call out to them to see if i can get more detail. I will say their customer service is very good and I'm pleased at how quick and easy it is to have things repaired or fixed.
Dec 31, 2019, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429
Work schedule meant I missed this one till now. Sorry.

Familiar with these as I have close to 2 dozen units of different degree sweep. All use tiny microswitches on the control board, activated when the brass trunnion lock runs up to them to stop the cycle each end. In fact, I often purposefully grind one face a bit to extend the travel to strengthen the lock positions.

From what I suspect those switches may have worn, or the board may have shifted or broken. Pretty unusual to see this . Often I find the motor fails and takes out one of the drivers.

However, this is more likely: one thing to note is with the alloy frames these do NOT tolerate any twisting from incorrect mounting surfaces. I would recommend checking this before exposing your returned units to service.

I built the frames in the pics to mount a set of these in Rare Bear, as well as in the T/F Texan. Perfect mounting surface and the ribs add side bracing to the units as well as into the wing structure. Not required. Just ensure your mounting surfaces are flat and true.

is it possible to see the switches, or do you have to take it apart?
Dec 31, 2019, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
So just off the phone with Horizon and they said the motors were bad. No other info was given but they are being replaced so I’m happy
Dec 31, 2019, 09:14 PM
You would have to take them apart as the switches are on the inside surface of the control board. That board fits into a small slot milled into the inner face of the side frames.

Screws are Loctited so a bit of a pain.

From posts I have seen motors seem to be the weak point on these With my own, when they die I save the bits for spares so have not gone any further than digging out the board to find the burnt drive chips. Since the motor would run one direction and not the other did not suspect they were at fault.

Someone here on RCG had found replacement motors with gear reduction and matched drive thread.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-DC6V-N3...-/182382559914

Quick Reply