Dec 10, 2019, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Nano Not Recognized by XDP

Wondering what I'm doing wrong here...

I bought two brand new Nano's in January of 2018 (direct from XPS). They've been in their sealed bags since then.
I now have use for them in airplanes so I thought I would run them through the XDP program to see what version firmware they had and if they needed to be updated.

With the XDP wireless programmer set up, I then put the Nano in bind mode (bind plug first, then batt to servo port, then unplug bind plug to get steady red light).
But when I open up the XDP program and click on the "Search For Device" button, all I get is an error message that "xps16t.gif not found".
I click the OK on that and the program closes.
It does this with either of the new Nanos.

I've used this same setup to check older Nanos that I have (that are already in planes) so I know it should work with these newer Nanos.

Any help there?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2019, 12:24 AM
I'm not an expert on the XDP, but a gif file is an image file. Is there any chance you moved the XDP program or deleted some files?

You can search your drive for that file, and check your recycle folder in case it got deleted.
Dec 11, 2019, 03:44 AM
Yeah, sounds like you are missing a file. Make sure you install the software in Administrator mode.
Dec 11, 2019, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
I do know that what wasn't being found was an image file, and I assumed that the loading of that file was the first step in recognition for the program to continue with reading the info off the card.
The thing is, the image files are in the DATA directory of the program's installation on my hard drive.
I did take a look at the other .gif files in the DATA directory and noted that they were simply little pictures of the various XPS products that were supposed to come up on screen in the program window when a product was recognized.

Anyway, looking in the DATA program where the "xps16t.gif" was supposed to be with the other gifs, there was no such file.
So I tried a simple workaround (with regard to the gif, anyway) and copied a pic of the Nano off the XPS website, and converted it into a small gif.
I then put that picture (that I named xps16t.gif of course) into the DATA directory along with the other gifs.

Restarting the XDP program and hitting the "Search For Device" button, my homemade xps16t.gif file came up as the picture in the program window, but the "View/Change Settings" button was grayed out and wouldn't let me go any further.

Let me add that I removed the XDP program from my computer through Windows Settings and wiped out the entire installation that was first giving me this difficulty. I thought maybe somehow that it had become corrupted.

After a fresh installation of the XDP program, I looked and still didn't find the xps16t.gif file anywhere in the new DATA directory, and that is when I did my homemade gif file that I described above.

So yes, I am definitely missing a file, but it seems that the file missing isn't being installed during the initial installation of the XDP program.
And as I noted in my OP, I had used this program before without any problem like this.

To add; I did install the program in Administrator mode, and I whitelisted the program in Windows so that it would not be hung up by any anti-virus program.

Since my homemade gif file WAS recognized and showed up in the program window, that suggests to me that even though I got it past the error of the missing gif, it still couldn't recognize either of my Nanos since the View/Change Settings button was grayed out.

Lot of words above, but I wanted to give a clear picture of what's happening.
What I'm wondering now is if there is some additional information within the gif file at the end that is needed to trigger the XDP program to go further with the recognition of the Nano. Just bringing up a gif pic of the product seems kind of simple, so it seems that the xpsxt16.gif file might contain more than just a picture. Just my thoughts on that.
Dec 12, 2019, 02:51 AM
I read your first post about this again and I realized that the file trying to be loaded is for the X16 receiver (which does not exist). It seems that the Nano is ID'ing itself as the wrong product. Try doing a RESET of the Nano.
Dec 12, 2019, 04:25 AM
Found the problem - you have a REALLY old version of the XDP software that was released long before the Nano IV came out. Just update your software by selecting "check for updates" under the HELP pull-down menu.

MAKE SURE that you run the XDP program in Administrator mode!

The latest version of the XDP software is v4.0.
Dec 12, 2019, 08:23 AM
Thread OP
Aha! Will do, and will come back and report how it went.
Dec 12, 2019, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Thank you Jim. That was it.
I was running XDP ver3.9, and when updated to 4.0, it read the Nano just fine.

Next question; my Nano4 shows to be ver1.0 firmware, but according to update59, it's supposed to be ver1.4.
I clicked on the eeprom update within the XDP program, and it seemed to do something, but the Nano still reads as ver1.0.
However, the update59 shows only the Nano I and II and not the 4.
So are there no updates at all for the Nano 4 at this point?
Dec 13, 2019, 11:58 AM
The updater is what updates firmware, not the XDP program. That XDP program is just for changing settings.

v1.0 is the latest version for the Nano 4.
Dec 13, 2019, 12:58 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, that covers all of what I needed to know.

Quick Reply