Dec 13, 2019, 06:28 PM
Just do a half turn , or no turn at all ..
Just swing that arm .. If you can swing your arm in a launch motion you can launch a DLG .
Well , a small DLG !
UMx Whipit is very easy to launch , Frisbee style or just a arm swing .

DLG Launch Setting ( Rudder / Elevator ) (2 min 49 sec)

UMx Whipit - Trim flights (8 min 27 sec)

ELF DLG @ the sink hole (22 min 20 sec)

UMX Whipit at the park (7 min 59 sec)

My back is like an ironing board ( stiff ) , so I launch with no spinning ..

Not sure how I am going to go with 1.5 meter ...
But certainly the Whip and the ELF are easy enough to get in the air with arm alone ..
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2019, 08:00 PM
turn, turn, turn.
I've been doing a lot of non-spin hand launching recently... With the Flitz.

It ends up being at least 1/2 rotation if I let it go in front of me, and 3/4 of a rotation if I let it go to my left side for a cross wind/downwind launch.
Dec 13, 2019, 11:50 PM
I think flying my "Deviant 1m is harder on my body then the 1.5m on launch. Certainly can't use the same 'power'.
Cary
Dec 14, 2019, 06:47 PM
Kenny probably has a stronger arm than most of us. As I recall, he throws a lot higher than I do with 1.5 meter models.
Dec 14, 2019, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
Just came back from Cookie Toss.
Didn’t get to fly because I couldn’t find a receiver last night. Coooookies were goooood! And people are good.
One thing I realize with today outing was that not only I cannot expect me to launch high (obviously), my tree climbing stamina was cut to a third of the height I could climb before! This worries me a lot :-)

Tai
Last edited by tai626; Dec 14, 2019 at 07:50 PM.
Dec 14, 2019, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai626
Just came back from Cookie Toss.
Didnít get to fly because I couldnít find a receiver last night. Coooookies were goooood! And people are good.
One thing I realize with today outing was that not only I cannot expect me to launch high (obviously), my tree climbing stamina was cut to a third of the height I could climb before! This worries me a lot :-)

Tai
But did you learn and have fun, thats the important question!
Dec 15, 2019, 01:22 AM
Thread OP
I sure had fun!
Tai
Dec 15, 2019, 09:14 AM
Great!!
Dec 16, 2019, 10:09 PM
I’m an old guy (68 years old) that has many historic abuse injuries (left foot plantar fasciitis, bruised fractured right first metarsal) from long time involvement in endurance running and biking. Recently, it appears that I torn (severely weaken and or minor dislocation) my left knee minicus and right shoulder bursitis from possibly recent interest in DLG. I suspect it was caused by my natural tendency to ‘brute force muscle whip’. Since I don’t have an altimeter, I don’t know how high I am launching, but every great once in a while I get an extended flight of 1-5 minutes, so I’m happy with that.
For now, to heal, I get Physical Theraphy (lots of left knee strengthening and core flexibility Theraphy) twice a week. I showed all the PT doctors a YouTube video of a DLG launch and they were amazed, but didn’t have any criticism and or suggestions for specific rehabilitation specific to DLG. Later I’ll ask advice again after they have time to think about it.
Anyway in the meantime, Im working on launch technique of my micro UMX Radian DLG. I can go though the launch motion with minimum effort and work on technique rather than ‘ brute force muscle whip’ it into flight as I had been doing with my 1.5M kludged together (DTFB, misc castaway parts) DLGs. I can also work on finding and flying low altitude thermals.
Has anyone else had injuries that were most probably caused by DLG? Any suggestions for ‘warm up preparations’ so I don’t repeat tearing my left knees minicus and or right shoulder burcitis?
Dec 16, 2019, 11:54 PM
DLG's make fro really nice slope soaring gliders .
I was out this morning with my Whipit , so much sink !
Some times it came down @ 50% of the speed it went up ( Thats a lot of sink )
But I did see some thermal action . Whilst I got no real lift , I was able to maintain altitude for over a minute . Not what I would call rewarding , but certainly some exercise .

Suggestions ? Slope it , Frisbee launching ( if its small enough ) , or simply use minimal energy .
Personally , I use about as much energy launching a whip as I put into swatting away a fly .
If there is lift , there is lift .. If it's all sink ? , why wear yourself out or injure yourself .

Finding a nice slope would probably be the go ..
Plenty of video from Japan where they fly from the tops of canals ( rice paddy )

So far , around where I live ! We have a over abundance of SINK !
Dec 17, 2019, 12:54 AM
Thread OP
Took me a while to find this gentleman:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=402484

He knew what he was talking, in my opinion.

Tai
Dec 17, 2019, 12:59 AM
Thread OP
Here is Pete comments about stretching for DLG:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s#post24130797

Tai
Dec 17, 2019, 01:26 AM
Thread OP
Here is most of Pete’s posts:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-DLG-Exercises

Tai
Dec 17, 2019, 01:39 AM
Thread OP
Pete’s comments about warm up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensioner Pete
Of course you will all need 'em when your 64
-- if you warm up properly first.
Try this. Jog round the field looking for booby traps, potential sources of lift, unclimbable trees etc. On the way add in some short bursts of running sideways, running backwards, skipping, and accelerating over half-a-dozen strides or so. Shake your arms about loosely, then swing them around, but not too vigorously. Then try a few spins, keeping on the balls of the feet. Around ten minutes of this will get you ready for anything. If that's too tiring, make it five. Do a few half power launches concentrating on smoothness (if allowed by the circumstances, event rules or whatever). In between rounds loosen up and get the blood flowing again, although you should not need to do as much unless you have been totally inert.
I am informed that the self proclaimed expert on stealth, lying and treachery is developing an intimidating swagger as well. It works in some sports.
Bring back fair play.
Pete

Quick Reply