Dec 11, 2019, 01:31 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darunion
The max recommended amount of current the battery can put out is just a calculation (in a perfect world mind you).

SO you take C (in your case 40C) and you multiply that by the AH of the battery (have to convert mAh to Ah.

So 4200mAh is 4.2Ah ( mAh / 1000 = Ah)

4.2Ah *40C = 168Amps

for your other one

4.6Ah * 35C = 161Amps.

I would go for the 4.6, if weight is exactly the same, that has to be considered as well. Their output is essentially the same though the 4.6 has 10% more capacity. Like i said these are all perfect conditions and real world is always different, and less in most cases.
I'll guarantee you neither of those batteries will remotely do what you just posted. Battery label "C" values are not to be taken seriously. They're marketing hype and many have been found to be more than double what forum member testing has revealed. Please read the MCSGuy thread previously referred to. Math is useless when you can't depend on your input data. And you can't.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2019, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
I'll guarantee you neither of those batteries will remotely do what you just posted. Battery label "C" values are not to be taken seriously. They're marketing hype and many have been found to be more than double what forum member testing has revealed. Please read the MCSGuy thread previously referred to. Math is useless when you can't depend on your input data. And you can't.
I was simply explaining the concept of it. Of course no battery performs to what they print on the label. And no two same batteries perform the same. Really would be nice instead of "true 40c rating' or whatever they are doing now, they actually posted tested discharge charts like the rest of the battery industry does. Why we allow the rc battery companies to not have to do this ill never know.
Dec 11, 2019, 02:53 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
You posted the concept correctly. But the errors are not minor, they're huge. So the entire process is unhelpful in actually choosing between two batteries. Fortunately the OP is interested in Hobbystar brand. And while their C-ratings are as useless as most, the brand has actually tested pretty good against the competition. So either battery is probably an okay choice.

FWIW, while C ratings are mostly useless, mah claims tend to be much more accurate. Better to choose between the batteries based on capacity and weight which are somewhat dependable. But regarding C claims...it's valid to note when one battery claim is quite high and another claim quite low. That may be dependable. And that's about it.
Dec 11, 2019, 03:07 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
FlyingDC, I will not call you a name or such but your first airplane should be anything but a jet.
IMO, park that plane and buy something to help you learn to fly. Otherwise you may be like so many others that pick up and leave this hobby with the first flight.

I suggest a RTF ultra micro such as a champ
https://www.horizonhobby.com/champ-rtf-hbz4900

Then, when you master that move into a 30-40 inch wingspan trainer type and run a 3S or 4S battery and then when you master that one move into the jet.

Have fun in this hobby,
Rick
Dec 11, 2019, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
Does anyone know anything about the Venom Pro Duo? It's currently $109.99 on Amazon.
Dec 11, 2019, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
FlyingDC, I will not call you a name or such but your first airplane should be anything but a jet.
IMO, park that plane and buy something to help you learn to fly. Otherwise you may be like so many others that pick up and leave this hobby with the first flight.

Then, when you master that move into a 30-40 inch wingspan trainer type and run a 3S or 4S battery and then when you master that one move into the jet.

Have fun in this hobby,
Rick
PLEASE read this advice and give it serious consideration. A twin-EDF fighter is a terrible first (or second) plane for someone getting into the hobby. There are plenty of threads on this site regarding good first and second planes. You would be wise to give them a look.
Dec 11, 2019, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman

Have fun in this hobby,
Rick
Thank you for the advice; I had initially planned on getting the RF9 RC simulator before actually trying to fly the plane. While I know actually flying a plane would be more helpful than a simulator, would the difference be huge, in terms of how helpful it is in learning to fly rc planes?

FWIW, I at no point was under the impression that me buying the F-22 was a smart purchase, given my lack of experience flying fixed wing aircraft. It was one of those situations where I saw something that I had wanted for many, many years, and for whatever reason was unable to talk myself out of buying it this time. I think mostly it's because I'm in a different financial position now than I was in past years when I was able to ignore the itch.

Regarding the 2nd step of your advice, how would you feel about me getting one of the 3-channel edf jets that BH has for $139? Would that be tame enough to handle after mastering the champ, while also being close enough to the 12-ch F-22 I currently have to be the last stepping stone before flying the F-22 I have now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.mcclelland
PLEASE read this advice and give it serious consideration. A twin-EDF fighter is a terrible first (or second) plane for someone getting into the hobby. There are plenty of threads on this site regarding good first and second planes. You would be wise to give them a look.
I will do exactly that. When I made my previous post asking about the battery charger, my page had not updated, and so I did not see any posts that were made after what is now the last post on the first page. Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by FlyingDC; Dec 11, 2019 at 06:16 PM.
Dec 11, 2019, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDC
Thank you for the advice; I had initially planned on getting the RF9 RC simulator before actually trying to fly the plane. While I know actually flying a plane would be more helpful than a simulator, would the difference be huge, in terms of how helpful it is in learning to fly rc planes?
I think that a Flight Simulator is the single best tool that exists to build skills without destroying airplanes (and your enjoyment). If you had someone to train you, buddy box with you, a trainer style plane, etc. you could go at it that way. But lacking that flying a simulator off and on over a period of a couple of weeks will give you a very good handle on control inputs, orientation, take-offs, landings, etc. I've had a Real Flight sim since the beginning and I still log more hours on the sim than at the field. I've learned everything from simple flight to aerobatics, to 3-D with planes, and later the same set of skills with helicopters which are an entirely different animal.
Dec 12, 2019, 12:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDC
Does anyone know anything about the Venom Pro Duo? It's currently $109.99 on Amazon.

Does anyone have any experience with this charger, or has anyone heard good/bad things about it? Per another poster's advice, I want to get a quality charger that will last a very long time. I know price doesn't always equal quality, but the reviews on Amazon seem to indicate that it is worth it's $110 price tag.
Dec 12, 2019, 01:08 PM
I have a quad pro, it's okay. It was a good charger for when i was charging 3-4s packs at 850mah -1500mah. But the power on it was a bit low for my tastes when moving to charging my 6s 6000mah packs. Now just collects dust and takes up way too much space IMO. They also use what I feel is a very dated software and UI on them. Never had problems with it though.
Dec 12, 2019, 01:13 PM
That dual is only 80W per channel. So at a 6s battery you are only going to be able to get about 3 amps out of it. So any pack larger than 3000mAh will take longer than an hour to charge.
Dec 14, 2019, 04:47 PM
As you have discovered these planes batteries and chargers are not toys and the risks are extreme

You are very lucky that the consequence of your fire was not more serious. Lipo fires can not be extinguished and it sounds like the battery was mostly discharged. Many have lost home and cars from unsafe operation

EDFs are at the most extreme level of operation not just the flying but safe operation from both a skill level but also the risk of damage to person and property
Think about your personal liability. If you actually get this thing in the air. Unlikely but possible you will in short order be doing well over 100 mph subsequently loose control ,probable, and then crash,likely and hit property or person. What will it cost you

My advice join a local club they have free flight instruction with an appropriate plane and then based on your skill development have the instructor help you with your jet when he thinks you are ready

I do not believe any amount of simulator practice will allow you to learn to fly this plane

You also need to take the time to learn about batteries charging and their safe use

To busy. you may not be as lucky next time

It is a great hobby and worth the effort

Dennis

Quick Reply