Jan 21, 2020, 09:30 PM
Thread OP
Iím doing some searching now to get some ideas. Iíll let you guys know what I come up with!

I flew Rey v1 today with its new motor in 12 mph winds today. Itís vastly improved. The added weight of the motor has helped with everything except flight time apparently lol. However it wasnít a fair comparison since it never had the power to fly in wind like that! Iím tweaking a few things and then Iíll get another video on a calm day!!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2020, 10:11 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher01
Iím doing some searching now to get some ideas. Iíll let you guys know what I come up with!

I flew Rey v1 today with its new motor in 12 mph winds today. Itís vastly improved. The added weight of the motor has helped with everything except flight time apparently lol. However it wasnít a fair comparison since it never had the power to fly in wind like that! Iím tweaking a few things and then Iíll get another video on a calm day!!
Nice ! That motor seems much more appropriate for Rey v1 . Tape that receiver antenna down before the prop chops it off !
Jan 22, 2020, 01:34 AM
Thread OP
Haha yes that was before I did the finishing touches. I also secure the esc battery leads through the fuse with a piece of bamboo and a zip tie. I put some color on it tonight after a quick test flight. I think Iím going to redo the v stabs and winglets once more and then finish it 100%

Iíve been digging up inspiration for the new plane build.. here are some things that caught my eye!
Jan 22, 2020, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Iíve gotta say Iím super intrigued by this....
Jan 22, 2020, 10:49 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Iíve gotta say Iím super intrigued by this....
No torque roll if the two motors are counter rotating ....

There are coaxial counter rotating motors available :
bigger : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3242...47822e7fBXJOJY
smaller : http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...ion_p_224.html
or : https://www.pauzuolis-rc.com/rc-shop...-thrust-system

That last one is used on this plane :

Adam Hrbacek - Supertrino MkII, first competition flight in F3P AA, 1st place (4 min 5 sec)
Jan 22, 2020, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Yes I wasnít as interested by the contra rotating prop as much as the pusher/tractor configuration. I presumed it would eliminate torque roll but short of that there is no notable benefit other than looking cool. It would also suck to hand launch.. actually I realized any twin boom pusher would probably suck to hand toss.. If I do a more traditional twin setup Iíd at least get differential thrust.

Hereís Rey! She had a few Oreos got a little chubby
Jan 22, 2020, 11:38 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Yes I wasnít as interested by the contra rotating prop as much as the pusher/tractor configuration. I presumed it would eliminate torque roll but short of that there is no notable benefit other than looking cool. It would also suck to hand launch.. actually I realized any twin boom pusher would probably suck to hand toss.. If I do a more traditional twin setup Iíd at least get differential thrust.

Hereís Rey! She had a few Oreos got a little chubby
Any hand launched plane can be thrown frisbee style to avoid prop strikes on your hand ..... or add landing gear for ground take-off . For taking off from grass , use big diameter wheels ..... or slide-on-grass skids .

Frisbee style hand launch :

"Literally" just a Flying Sheet of Dollar Tree Foam Board (1 min 13 sec)
Jan 22, 2020, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Haha yes that’s what ended the SSD!!! When I let go, it was banked about 45* and it had the ride of its life!!

I always fly over grass so I stopped dealing with the weight of landing gear but I was curious about how some skis may do...
Jan 22, 2020, 12:47 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Haha yes thatís what ended the SSD!!! When I let go, it was banked about 45* and it had the ride of its life!!

I always fly over grass so I stopped dealing with the weight of landing gear but I was curious about how some skis may do...
You were less experienced with fixed wing when you flew the SSD , you'll probably have better luck now ..... but the frisbee launch does take practice !

Here's an example of a slide-on-grass take off :

Giant Foamie F-15 (Home Depot Special) flown by Otto Dieffenbach, 1st Flight (3 min 17 sec)

For slide-on-grass , you need the rear of the skids angled up so the plane can rotate for take off ( up elevator pushes the rear down , changing the angle of attack of the wing to more positive ) .
Jan 23, 2020, 07:39 AM
Thread OP
Good info! I wouldn’t have thought to put the curve at the rear.

I really want to use a 1050 prop on my big wing I have a few around from my big camera drone that are pretty beast. The 2212 motor I have is a 2200kv so I did some thrust testing yesterday with in on 2 and 3s. It’s pretty damn aggressive. It was pulling about 20a on 3s but the esc got a bit warmer than I was ok with so I found a deal on 4 2212 1400kv motors with prop savers that should work really well. Did I mention that the thrust from the 1050 was INSANE?!

PSA: Since starting with drones about 4 years ago I have always shown spinning props and motors the respect they deserve and never had any issues with handling or flying my models. Well, a prop nearly double the size that are reinforced require and additional level of caution that I did not take into account. So yesterday I paid the price and I’m sharing/publicly shaming myself to help someone else avoid my mistake. I had the motor mounted firmly to a 1/4” piece of wood and had it was clamped to the work surface in pusher configuration.. I was operating safely several feet away. I had performed all the testing I wanted to do with both batteries and shut down the motor. Unfortunately I accidentally reached into the props path as it was decelerating to check the temp on the esc. The prop sliced my middle knuckle 3 times and required 6 stitches. SO I’ll be building a dedicated motor/prop testing rig for myself with a setup that allows me to test the things I want to see more safely.

You are welcome to share this story and pictures in the interest of preventing others from making similar mistakes. I have to say, coming from 5” drones, the SIGNIFICANTLY higher amount of thrust produced by these larger airplane props and motors was not expected at all!!
Last edited by Topher01; Jan 23, 2020 at 10:43 AM.
Jan 23, 2020, 11:45 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Ouch !

Don't you know that us scratch builders just put a little Cyanoacrylate glue on a cut and get right back to work ?
Jan 23, 2020, 12:24 PM
Thread OP
Lmao I’m an auto performance tech by trade so I’ve cut myself about a million times over the years lol.. I’ve wrapped and glued a bunch but the top one went down to the bone. Another 1/4” and the knuckle skin would have been off altogether so this one definitely deserved some stitches. I flopped the skin back down after it happened so my wife didn’t get upset. She knows that if I say I need stitches it must be pretty bad haha
Jan 23, 2020, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
Interesting that the little 2212 2200kv motor was tolerating the 1050 prop on 3s! None of the components were above 90* but I decided to give myself more of a safety ceiling so I ordered two more 9x3.8 sf apc props to use on it instead. I figured I could use that combo on my FT spitfire? With a spinner? It recommends a minimum park400 810kv. Then I was going to use the 2212 1400kv with the 1050 on the big wing I’m building. Thoughts? I still have one extra hextronic 1000kv motor too. I thought I’d use that on something light like the fff/xps build I’m planning.
Jan 23, 2020, 04:22 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Interesting that the little 2212 2200kv motor was tolerating the 1050 prop on 3s! None of the components were above 90* but I decided to give myself more of a safety ceiling so I ordered two more 9x3.8 sf apc props to use on it instead. I figured I could use that combo on my FT spitfire? With a spinner? It recommends a minimum park400 810kv. Then I was going to use the 2212 1400kv with the 1050 on the big wing Iím building. Thoughts? I still have one extra hextronic 1000kv motor too. I thought Iíd use that on something light like the fff/xps build Iím planning.
Yeah , a 1050 prop seems too much for a 2200kv motor ..... I would be worried about toasting the windings . Do you have/use a wattmeter ?
Another thing to consider when using large diameter props is clearance in prop slots , or ground clearance when using landing gear or skids .

Isn't your hexTronik motor 1300kv ? That's a good motor for slow-medium speed parkflyer-sized planes up to about 400 grams total weight ( on 3S ) .
Jan 23, 2020, 08:18 PM
Thread OP
Yes I figured it probably was but I never get to actually test and it seems like Iím always guessing and swapping motors/props etc.. then I go on the net to try to get info on thrust with different motor/prop combos but the data isnít terribly trustworthy.. ugh So the other day I said screw it an just tried it. Actually it seemed to do pretty darn well but itís probably a bit aggressive. The motor specs I could find state hat the windings can handle 12a for 60 seconds max before the motor turns into a fireball apparently interesting that itís supplied with a 30a esc... so I was a bit more interested in seeing what these can ACTUALLY do vs the assumptions. But I wasnít prepared to test safely and accurately. Working on the solution now!!

Yes it is the 1300kv one that I have thx! So just stay below 400g auw as a general rule with that motor?

I have an inductive pickup dc ammeter coming and Iíve been building a safe prop/motor thrust test rig to test in a pusher config and register the result on my scale. So I should be able to accurately test voltage, amp draw, and thrust generated at multiple throttle ranges!! No more guessing!!

Quick Reply