Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Mar 26, 2002, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by Acer

What are the Airfoils for the Zagi THL? (or similar)

I had a Zagi THL a couple of years ago and it flew pretty well. I want to cut scaled down version out of white foam but I threw out the THL before tracing the airfoil. Does anyone have the airfoil that was used for the THL, or do you have a good root/tip airfoil for a ~30" w.s. flying wing glider? Thanks.

-- Acer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2002, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by chlee

Zagi airfoil

Acer,

The Zagis have proprietary airfoils, Zagi-8, Zagi-10, etc. These are available with that Italian shareware program Profili.

However, you might do better with an MH-45. This is the airfoil used in the Wedgie and some other flying wings. The coordinates are available at:
http://beadec1.ea.bs.dlr.de/Airfoils/mhfoils.htm
I suspect that the MH-45 will perform better at the lower Reynold numbers of your scaled down wing. Or maybe the MH-44, which is slightly thinner...

Of course, if someone here actually knows something about aerodynamics, please correct me.

Lee
Old Mar 26, 2002, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by Acer
Thanks Lee for the responce. I made a 24" glider using the MH45 airfoils. It worked well. Launched roughly 80 feet with a good throw. But, it only stayed up about 30-40 seconds. It would be a great mini sloper as it flew very well in wind and was extremely aerobatic. The MH 45 was a good FAST airfoil but I am looking for a slower more of a "Floater" airfoil. It probably needs to be a little thicker like the THL airfoil with a built in reflex. Any more ideas?

-- Acer
Old Mar 26, 2002, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by Acer
I forgot to ask, on all my flying wings I made, I always used balsa wood for the elevons. Would it work well to actually cut the elevons from the foam itself and thus have a "true" airfoil without having extended flight surfaces (balsa elevons). I've noticed that most of the F3J Flying wings of Europe use this method. Would it work well with smaller gliders?

-- Acer