Thread OP
New Product

Big Electric Beaver

Here's a really big one:
https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/...et-for-dec-11/
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2019, 04:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
Are they going to put a Mr. RC Sound system in it so it sounds like a Beaver?
Latest blog entry: My new AT-6
Dec 09, 2019, 04:58 PM
Aeronautical Research Flyer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Are they going to put a Mr. RC Sound system in it so it sounds like a Beaver?

Love that. .
Dec 09, 2019, 05:04 PM
DFS#000178
Every time I see one of these articles about electric airplanes I want to say they've existed since at least the late 1960s..

I also love how uppity people get about them. Like that company in Washington that was building a "hybrid" airplane by taking a Cessna 337 and replacing one of the engines with an electric motor.

They effectively made the airplane worse.
Dec 10, 2019, 01:02 PM
B for Bruce
I'd love to see the weight figures for the motor, controller and battery pack vs engine, oil, fuel setups. Or turboprop and fuel setups.

We've sure come a long way with the motor and battery technology on this stuff. The only remaining downside is the time and ground service features needed to "refuel" big high power packs.
Dec 10, 2019, 01:14 PM
Electric Coolhunter
For the short 30 min flights this little airline makes, this actually makes some sense. We will have to see if it survives contact with the real world.

Transport Canada will no doubt make them triply redundantly dot all i’s and cross all t’s.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Dec 10, 2019, 02:48 PM
Aeronautical Research Flyer
Thread OP
When I lived in Minnesota a neighbor told me about his son who is an instructor at a college in Tulsa OK where they were going to use electric powered planes for trainers. It makes good sense because the planes generally fly in circles over the airport for short times. I don’t know if it ever happened and the only information I can find now is several years old. One day electric aircraft will be used more but it will still be for short distances. No matter how you slice it fossil fuels have a lot more energy in the size and weight that makes it most convenient. .
Dec 10, 2019, 04:11 PM
HobbyView/RCRoundtable
It apparently just made it's first flight:

Harbour Air First Flight of electric plane with MagniX motor (2 min 12 sec)
Dec 10, 2019, 04:19 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
When I lived in Minnesota a neighbor told me about his son who is an instructor at a college in Tulsa OK where they were going to use electric powered planes for trainers. It makes good sense because the planes generally fly in circles over the airport for short times. I don’t know if it ever happened and the only information I can find now is several years old. One day electric aircraft will be used more but it will still be for short distances. No matter how you slice it fossil fuels have a lot more energy in the size and weight that makes it most convenient. .
There are a number of electric training aircraft in use. I saw a documentary about the arrival and first use of one in Perth, Australia. The training on it is ramping up.

https://particle.scitech.org.au/tech...s-to-wa-skies/
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!

Quick Reply