Dec 09, 2019, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Help: Need Bud Nosen Wing Rib Templates

Hey guys,

I picked up a nice Bud Nosen P-47 kit recently as part of an estate sale I believe. It seems to be missing a lot of the wing parts. I have a nice Fiberglass Cowl, the Clear Canopy, stacks of what appears to be the sheeting, loads of sticks labeled for leading and trailing edge, ribs for rudder parts, etc. I don't want to abandon what will be an awesome plane but I'm in need if help to build it.

Regards,

Ben
Last edited by WileCyot; Dec 09, 2019 at 05:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2019, 12:06 PM
Pro Hoarder
HI Ben
I dont think that the ribs are on the plans so you will need someone to copy ribs from an unbuilt kit. Or you could just draw up your own and make a wing from scratch..Also could do a foam core wing. I have a part built kit that I will some day finish..
Latest blog entry: In flight
Dec 09, 2019, 01:55 PM
Which Bud Nosen kit are we talking about here? They made several.

carl
Dec 09, 2019, 02:48 PM
Pro Hoarder
Ha ha good point
Latest blog entry: In flight
Dec 09, 2019, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
How did I miss this? It's the P-47 kit. I could have sworn I put it in the title.
Dec 12, 2019, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
So I went through the parts last night and I was able to determine which parts I'm missing.

W1
W2
W3
W4
W5
W6
WA6
W7
W8
W8A
W9
W10
WA10
W11
W12
W13
W14
W15
W16
W17

I think there is a W3A as well, I can't remember. If there is, I'm missing it as well.
Dec 13, 2019, 10:38 AM
You could find a kit on Ebay or maybe at a swap meet. I saw the P51 years ago NIB at a swap meet. I friend of mine started working on rekitting some of the Nosen big warbirds years ago. He was making fiberglass fuselages for them and cutting foam wings. I built a foam wing for the P51 for him. I also built him the Corsair from a partially built, partially destroyed swap meet find. Some cat had used the fuse as a scratching post! Sadly, he passed away before he could finish the kitting process.

There are a few threads here and elsewhere on this plane. You could try contacting some of the guys who have built one or have a kit.

One last little tidbit of advice: I don't know what your experience level is but the Bud Nosen kits are expert level type builds. On the Corsair I did, all the plans showed was an outline of the plane. You basically filled in most everything else yourself. I really beat my head against the wall on it and actually used the Ziroli plans as a reference, especially for the flap arrangement.

There's an idea. You could use the big Ziroli P47 plans and morph the Nosen into them. It might work but if I were in your shoes I would sell that thing and find a better project.

Carl
Dec 18, 2019, 11:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrover
There's an idea. You could use the big Ziroli P47 plans and morph the Nosen into them. It might work but if I were in your shoes I would sell that thing and find a better project.

Carl
I'd be better off just buying the Ziroli plans, short kit, etc and going that route. I got this kit as a part of a big lot. I also got a Bud Nosen P51 that's all there. I've only seen one P47 kit for sale on eBay and it was listed for $1800. Not gonna buy that crap.

Carl, thanks for reaching out with the advice. I'm a stubborn engineer who's never completed a kit. I've got a Goldberg cub sitting on my workbench that's in progress (only a couple of hours in).

I like to bite off more than I can chew.

Quick Reply