Thread Tools
Dec 09, 2019, 07:01 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

Antenna Signal Strength


Hi, I just got my new to me 50cc Yak in the air yesterday. All went well and it flew good.

Looking at the data last night, I noticed the antenna signal strength was down to 4 in some places, and down to 5 quite a bit. I have seen some 5’s before on other models, but not a 4.

Is this too low and can it be improved? I have a R7 Plus receiver in it.


Thanks, Bill
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2019, 07:55 AM
Registered User
What was the Q. If the Q was close to 100% the whole time, antenna values don't mean jack.
Dec 09, 2019, 09:25 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455
What was the Q. If the Q was close to 100% the whole time, antenna values don't mean jack.
I did take a quick look at it and it was a straight line at 100%. I kinda assumed it wasn’t working.
I will spread the screen out tonight when I get in and take another look.

Thanks, Bill.
Dec 09, 2019, 08:48 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
I checked the Q value on 2 flights. On one flight, I saw a dip down to 77%. On the other, I found a dip down to 44%.
So is this an antenna issue?
Dec 11, 2019, 07:07 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Did some more checking. Both antenna strengths and quality are low at the same time.

This plane has a tunnel in it for tunes pipe. It has a carbon fiber tuned pipe on it. I had the antennas taped down off of the side of the tunnel. Wonder if this could cause the problem.

Also had both antennas in same plane. Should one be horizontal and one vertical? I guess I misunderstood the 90 degrees thing.
Dec 11, 2019, 09:12 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc1960
Did some more checking. Both antenna strengths and quality are low at the same time.

This plane has a tunnel in it for tunes pipe. It has a carbon fiber tuned pipe on it. I had the antennas taped down off of the side of the tunnel. Wonder if this could cause the problem.

Also had both antennas in same plane. Should one be horizontal and one vertical? I guess I misunderstood the 90 degrees thing.
Ideally if you can easily position 1 horizontal and one vertical and 90 degrees apart, great. Still, if you only have 2 antennas 90 degrees is 90 degrees. Unless the plane never banks or rolls, if the antennas are 90 degrees apart there will always be times when one is horizontal and one is vertical. Pick positions that will work best in the orientation the plane spends most of it's time in. In my planes, there really is no such position as they are constantly rolling, climbing banking, etc.

If you have objects in the plane such as the engine, pipes, etc that can block RF it's almost impossible to position antennas so that they will never be shadowed by those object. Simply keeping your antennas as far away from those items as possible, as far away from each other as possible and oriented 90 degrees to each other is generally more than good enough. You will NEVER have a perfect installation that guarantees you won't have reduced Q values at some points but it really doesn't matter.
Last edited by wfield0455; Dec 11, 2019 at 09:24 AM.
Dec 11, 2019, 09:57 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455
Ideally if you can easily position 1 horizontal and one vertical and 90 degrees apart, great. Still, if you only have 2 antennas 90 degrees is 90 degrees. Unless the plane never banks or rolls, if the antennas are 90 degrees apart there will always be times when one is horizontal and one is vertical. Pick positions that will work best in the orientation the plane spends most of it's time in. In my planes, there really is no such position as they are constantly rolling, climbing banking, etc.

If you have objects in the plane such as the engine, pipes, etc that can block RF it's almost impossible to position antennas so that they will never be shadowed by those object. Simply keeping your antennas as far away from those items as possible, as far away from each other as possible and oriented 90 degrees to each other is generally more than good enough. You will NEVER have a perfect installation that guarantees you won't have reduced Q values at some points but it really doesn't matter.
I guess I have a lot to learn.
How would I have more than 2 antennas anyway?
Dec 11, 2019, 10:04 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc1960
I guess I have a lot to learn.
How would I have more than 2 antennas anyway?
You can add redundant receivers but for the most part, except in very specific situations, it's a useless expense that adds no value.
Dec 11, 2019, 12:24 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455
You can add redundant receivers but for the most part, except in very specific situations, it's a useless expense that adds no value.
Thanks for the info. I guess I’m over worrying!
Just a bigger plane than normal for me and figured I should check on it


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion antenna extensions and signal strength loss Adamtfc FPV Talk 1 May 27, 2016 11:32 PM
Discussion Safe Receiver Signal Strength soundfield Graupner – OPENHOBBY 9 Apr 16, 2016 06:45 PM
Question FPV - signal strength / coverage behind obstacles Pitcher FPV Equipment 3 Mar 21, 2016 09:58 AM
Discussion Question about receiver signal strength Leftyatm Multirotor Drone Talk 4 Nov 22, 2015 01:47 PM
Discussion Do video adapters reduce signal strength? RcPro97 FPV Equipment 3 Nov 02, 2015 07:27 PM