Dec 09, 2019, 01:54 AM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Taranis+DLG V5.0: Quick setup, feature rich, predictable DLG program for the Taranis

Hello RCGroups people!

Today, I went over AD.DLG.4.1 and brought it into the modern era for OpenTX 2.3. I am proud to offer AD.DLG.5.1.

WARNING. This is not flight tested. It includes all functionality of the 4.1 version with some changes:
1) It will now allow you to load it onto OpenTX 2.3 (there was an error uploading the AD.DLG.4.1 version with a fresh install of OpenTX 2.3)
2) Space has been made at the top of the Logical switches and Special function screen to allow you to add your own at the top of the list.
3) Timers were given names.
4) Small delay added to cruise mode so it does not readout when switching quickly through cruise mode.
5) Snap Flaps was implemented permanently (instead of on switch SH)
6) Snap flaps is now in a curve (CV4) so you can modify it.
7) Zoom mode was renamed "Fast" mode to avoid needing a special sound file.
8) A GVAR (previously snpflp) was re-tasked to be a LVA (Low Voltage Alarm) setting for the receiver voltage.
9) Three "Calculated" sensors added to telemetry so it is easy to hookup telemetry to the LVA, Vario and Altimeter functions.
10) Special Functions and Logical switches added to support the LVA
11) Telemetry screen1 setup to reference the "Calculated" sensors so you don't need to do that.
12) Switch SH re-tasked to be a trainer switch since I anticipate needing that.
13) Re-order GVARS to better reflect the order in which you set them up.
14) SD Logs turned on
V5.1:
Added a V>0 check for LVA readout so it does not repeat "zero volts" with no receiver connected.

How to setup this version:

- Follow the original instructions as before EXACTLY.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...or-the-Taranis

- Setup Telemetry
This is an important (and new) step since without it, the low voltage alarm will not work on the plane.
1) On the radio, enter the telemetry screen
2) Choose "Discover new sensors"
3) In the first three "Calculated" sensors included in this setup, modify each one as follows:
a) rxV (rx voltage) -> Source1 -> Set to: RxBt
b) vrio (vario) -> Source1 -> Set to: VSpd (IF you have an altimeter)
c) alti (altimeter) -> Source1 -> Set to: Alt (IF you have an altimeter)
Then, set your Low Voltage Alarm trigger (GVAR1 or LVA) to a suitable voltage. When this voltage is reached, the transmitter will read out the voltage every 10 seconds. Be sure to set a value to give you plenty of time to get on the ground!

A list of GVARS and what they stand for:
Since the new version of OpenTX has much shortened GVAR names, they are harder to understand. This is what they mean:

LVA: Low Voltage Alarm (for RX voltage)
FZE: Flap Zero
ATH: Aileron Throw
AMN: Aileron Minimum
AMX: Aileron Max
DIF: Aileron Differential
A-R: Aileron to Rudder mix
SLR: Amount of Slider to Flaps
F-E: Amount of Flap to Elevator
Please remember to follow the instruction in the original thread EXACTLY to setup the GVARS:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...or-the-Taranis

AGAIN, WARNING. This is not flight tested, but should work the same as 4.1. Please test it thoroughly before flying and post feedback here.
** The trainer function will not interfere with your controls without a trainer radio connected. **

If the setup shows to be good, I will remove the warnings and add more info in this post.
Last edited by extremewing; Dec 09, 2019 at 03:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2019, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
Today, 5.1 is an update that adds a logical switch to stop the program from reading out "zero volts" with telemetry not setup or no receiver connected.
Feb 14, 2020, 03:21 PM
I'm looking forward to trying this. May I suggest that you update the first post on the AD.DLG 4.1 thread to point users of OTX 2.3+ to this thread? Otherwise OTX 2.3 users may miss this post.
Mar 12, 2020, 05:11 PM
Team Crunch Brothers
Hey Adrian! is an update of the Launch Master (LM133.lua) script to work under OTX 2.3.x in the works? The popupInput function was declared OBE, so the call to it needs to be replaced.

-l
Mar 13, 2020, 12:20 AM
Thread OP
At some point, I will. There are also other things that would be good to do, like using a new data storage mechanism that is available now.
Apr 10, 2020, 08:48 PM
Wayne Wimbish
I am used to being able to set different Ail>Rud mix values for each flight mode. Same for snap flap values, and of course independent trims for all flight modes.

Does your program meet these needs?

Thanks,
Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Apr 10, 2020, 09:33 PM
Thread OP
I cannot cater to every combination and also personally prefer less individual settings per flight mode or it becomes difficult to manage. I do not think it is necessary. Try it out and see for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised by it out the box - Or add those in if you decide you need them.
Apr 10, 2020, 09:59 PM
Wayne Wimbish
I assume that means no. Thanks for the quick response.

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Apr 11, 2020, 02:40 AM
Wayne, you can do what you are asking for with this program.

In companion in the flight mode tab set trims to own for each flight mode. I personally like my elevator trim set to FM0 with own trim as offset for all other modes. This means my first trim toss of the session I only have to trim my cruise mode and all others will be done too. But in flight my other modes get their own trim as an offset.

For different mix values just go into GV and change the mix from FM0 to its own value for each FM.

The only mix that is currently fixed is the snapflap as all the GV have been used up. I don't use flap zero or the min/max GV, instead I set the values in the Outputs page, that free's up 3 GV to use for something else.

To do this set up a GV named SNP or whatever reminds you what it is, again set the value to own for each FM. Then in mixer go to ch10 and see the first line named snapflap. Edit that and change the weight to GV:Snp (or whatever you named it)
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Apr 11, 2020 at 05:42 AM.
Apr 11, 2020, 03:40 PM
Thread OP
Thank you i_am_mark_evans for chiming in.

Just to be clear on the elevator trim since I think it is critical. If you use FM0 + own trim, you risk trashing the plane on launch since some unexpected trim can be introduced in launch preset that you did not intend to add.

This is why each mode has it's own trim with no influence from each other.

You should rather use servo subtrim to set the elevator trim to a good starting point before adjusting the trim tabs in each flight mode.

This is usually done in cruise mode. Adjust elevator sub trim while flying in cruise mode. You may find the rest only need small adjustments after that.
Apr 11, 2020, 03:53 PM
My bad, I should have been a bit more clear,

Just my speed/cruise/thermal are set to FM0 with own offset. Launch and Zoom have their own trim.

And after a set up for the first time, I change elevator trim for level flight to subtrim.
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Apr 11, 2020 at 04:06 PM.
Apr 11, 2020, 04:38 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for clarifying. I still think it can be confusing when you have elevator trim shared at all.

For example, tweaking trim in cruise (FM0) would change the trim you just set in thermal mode.

That is like whack a mole. You will never have a good elevator trim in any flight mode.

This is particularly true since you may change the amount of reflex from time to time in different flight modes.

It is also true since trim needs to be changed based on humidity (George Morris taught me that). Humidity makes the tail set ever so slightly heavier so if you tweak cruise, now you have changed all others and then have to set them again.

Anyway, that is just my take on this.
Apr 12, 2020, 03:59 AM
True, although I was thinking if I had slight trim change (I’m talking just a couple clicks here or there from heat, higher wind or whatever) then surely all my 3 modes will need trimmed/adjusted and not just cruise? With speed and thermal elevator set to FM0 with own trim as offset then they will always have their own trim on top of whatever cruise is that gets my plane flying nice and level in the first trim toss of the session?

Either way it probably makes sense just to change everything back to own trim.
Apr 12, 2020, 06:01 AM
Well, after months of doubts I decided to try this program out.

Loaded it up to my X-Lite Pro and started with reassigning the Launch switch from right (SF) to left (SE) switch.

Changed the L06 switch settings to the SE and it did work. But the "Flaps Up" announcement isn't working properly. I've noticed that if the throttle stick isn't all up, and press SE, to relaunch, there is no announcement.

But if I don't touch the throttle stick and press the SF button, the announcement fires. And fades out when I push the Thtottle up.

I've searched the logical switches menu, but haven't found any other place where the SF button is in use. Can you help here?

And another question, how can I switch the temetetry screens? Can't get to the configuration (Page #3)...
Apr 12, 2020, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
When changing switch assignments, you should never use the logical switches - or any other pages other than "inputs" page. Rather, you should, without exception, change switch assignments on the "inputs" page.

PS, to fix it, start with a clean copy of the program.

Quick Reply