Jan 29, 2020, 11:37 PM
Thread OP
Yes using an Eflite 800 mAH Lipo running off one of the esc's BEC circuit. A small weight penalty for such insurance.. Thanks for Your inquiry
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2020, 08:00 PM
It looks like your ESC provides 3A continuous at 5V. Do you have an estimate of your max power draw for the receiver?

Could you clarify how you are setting up the 800 mAh battery with your ESC's BEC? Thanks
Jan 31, 2020, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyther3
It looks like your ESC provides 3A continuous at 5V. Do you have an estimate of your max power draw for the receiver?

Could you clarify how you are setting up the 800 mAh battery with your ESC's BEC? Thanks
hesitant to attempt explanation . I have been getting good advisement in setting up four brushless motors from this very informative thread that I started. Suggest you pose question to the (Aircraft-Electric-General Power Systems post that I'm participating in) Discussion " wiring multiple electric brushless motors," and post questions there. Again TKS for your interest and participation!
Jan 31, 2020, 03:36 PM
Thread OP
Time to sheet the horizontal stabilizer, presently figuring between the use of 1/16; sheet balsa OR 1/32" next step is triming fuselage to accept the sheeted horizontal stabilizer. Remembering my 60" Tritle DC-6B build and just how much trimming was required to install that stab to the fuselage ,hoping this one goes smoothly. . and then its sheeting the vertical stab/rudder this will be interesting.
Jan 31, 2020, 10:56 PM
Thread OP
Decieded to use 1/32" balsa sheeting as opposed to 1/16" because of thickness issue when fitting the horizontal stabilizer to the rear empanage ,as its already very close tolerances where the stab mates with the fuselage rear. Due to the thinness of 1/32"balsa sheeting, I thought butt gluing would of been very difficult to achieve a good bond with the stabilizers leading edge,so I took the time to glue 1/16" square stock all along the inside stab leading edges,thus yielding some material to adhere the 1/32; stabilizer sheeting to the top and bottom surfaces. Sheeting the elevator assemblies was straight forward with the exception of balsa shims (wedged in) to cause the sheeting to bond at the stab tips..
Feb 02, 2020, 08:20 AM
Thread OP
Finishing the 1/32" sheeting on the horizontal stabilizer and next up deciphering wether to mount this stab to the fuselage first or sheeting the vertical fin /rudder, and then mounting the stab and elevator assembly.
Feb 03, 2020, 04:03 PM
Thread OP
Completed the 1/32; sheeting and carefully sanded. There were a few low spots and since I'm sure a water based latex filler would warp the thin balsa venere stab sheeting I used a thin skim of Z-Poxy and brown micro ballons,after first giving the area to be filled in using Z-Poxy thinned with acetone. I've used this technique before and it works well,the trick is a skim coat anything more would be difficult if not impossible to sand and ruin your sheeting job.
Last edited by fastruchard; Feb 04, 2020 at 12:30 AM.
Feb 03, 2020, 05:05 PM

Envy

I am jealous and want such an aircraft. How did you get plans for the 80" version and where did you get the "short kit" parts? Thanks
Feb 03, 2020, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
Hyther3. Thanks you know the basic deal: make the chips and balsa dust fly AND you are on your way. Regarding the plans a guy on e bay who sells the 60" version did the enlargements for me,and it took some 'reminders' as he seems very busy I think printing a large selections of model aircraft plans. Now regarding the 'Short kitI,' He has the facilities to do that , however , in my case,I ordered two sets of the parts templates and did ALL the cutting and sawing my self, as I prefere to select my own balsa stock; however, I have the 9 plan sheets for Phillip Noels terrific 88" Lockheed L1049 Super Constellation and I bought the laser cut wood pack for that bad girl!
Last edited by fastruchard; Feb 03, 2020 at 10:17 PM.
Feb 03, 2020, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
A fair amount of progress today,getting the horizontal stabilizer nearly finish sanded and fitted to the rear empanage. I'm happy with todays progress,if I did not mention it already in a previous post,the vertical stabilizer and rudder are getting sheeted,and despite weight concerns , the assembly is going to be sheeted with 1/16" stock as opposed to 1/32" such as used on the horizontal stab.
Feb 04, 2020, 06:16 AM
Thread OP
Couldn't resist putting the the Douglas Mainliner together to check progress after trial fitting the stab.Next up sheeting the vertical fin and rudder assembly.
Last edited by fastruchard; Feb 04, 2020 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling as is usral..
Feb 04, 2020, 05:25 PM
OK, I think I found the source: Sarik Hobbies--correct? You got the plans and short kit if I understand right.

Can you comment about the plan and kit quality? Thanks
Last edited by Hyther3; Feb 04, 2020 at 05:41 PM.
Feb 04, 2020, 06:13 PM
Thread OP

Misunderstanding this thread is for the Pst Tritle designed DC-6B

The project thread that youbare viewing iscan enlarged to an 80" WS version. The ENLARGED plans for this build zI custom ordered from an e bay seller! Suggest you do a search,sorry I can not shot you a link, andbcontact THAT seller of the _60" Pat Tritle Douglas DC-6B plans and inquire as to wetherhe will rnlarge the plans to 80" WS ,which is the dubject of this thread. Truly hope this helps and good luck.
Last edited by fastruchard; Feb 04, 2020 at 06:36 PM.
Feb 04, 2020, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyther3
OK, I think I found the source: Sarik Hobbies--correct? You got the plans and short kit if I understand right.

Can you comment about the plan and kit quality? Thanks
No I can not my friend because I have not started that kit offered by Sarik Hobbies yet, as that is a Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation. that I bought the 9 sheets of plans and the laser cut wood pack for. Here is a picture of it as received from Sarik Hobbies.. That is to be my NEXT project.
Feb 05, 2020, 12:29 AM
Thread OP
Started on the sheeting of the rudder and vertical fin assembly. I'm using SIG-MENT as an adhesive for the SHEETING process for the first time, with this 80" Douglas Mainliner build and I am increasingly happy with ALL its benefits ,like butt joining thin balsa sheet and its non moisture qualities which PREVENT warps when working with delicate structures. Another great big plus is just how well it sands down to a feather edge when working with balsa products-try that with Ca ,white glue or laminating epoxy resin..
Last edited by fastruchard; Feb 05, 2020 at 12:36 AM.

Quick Reply