Dec 08, 2019, 05:01 PM
Thread OP

80" Douglas DC-6B 80" Douglas DC-6B

80" Douglas DC-6B

Started a thread on Giant Scale, but I think the R/C Airliners forum is much more appropriate so here it goes. My reasoning behind an 80"'Pat Tritle Douglas DC-6B was for one reason,I wanted to have a fully planked and sheeted Douglas DC-6B for a more scale-like look, and wanted the realism of retracts and flaps , without increasing the wing loading sacrificing the great flying characteristics of a Turtle multi-motor electric design. I have done an extensive search of the net for suitable retracts and still searching. It's beginning to look like the E flite 60-120 retracts are going to be choice. The motors and controllers are other searches still underway. I'm looking at the 10-15 size motors. I'm hoping by putting this build thread up.in this forum that I will get a greater technically oriented response. Finally a word on. planking, I'm hoping to use 3/32 " planking sanded down to 1/16, much the same as Phillip Noels.terrific 88" Lockheed Super L1099 Constellation.

Last edited by Jim T.; Dec 19, 2019 at 09:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2019, 05:20 PM
Thread OP
Here are a series if construction photos of my Douglas DC-6B so far..
Dec 08, 2019, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
The stab us framed and sheeting is next. Presently the wing construction parts are being prepared for constructing the wings starting with the right wing panel. This project is certainly larger than my origionsl 60; Douglas DC-6B
Dec 10, 2019, 07:32 AM
Thread OP
Doing a dry run before gluing the wing ribs to the main spar part#s A2 & A2A some measuring and trimming has been required however all is aligning up correctly. I did my origional 60" Pat Tritle DC-6B build using Model Airplane News M.A.N. plans and it was a headache as I had cut the main spar out and cut the rib notches per plan only to discover that the ribs were NOT lining up on the wing plan ,so I'm glad that I knew of this problem and corrected it. Well next I will glue the wing ribs in to place. It is going to be nice to see how she looks all framed up.
Dec 10, 2019, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
Ribs # 1 thru 12 fitted and ready to be permanently glued into place
Dec 10, 2019, 07:49 PM
Thread OP
I glued the wing rib and spar assembly together,next I will add the alignment jig and next the glue the leading edges into place.
Dec 12, 2019, 12:58 AM
Thread OP
The right wing panel now has the leading edge and trailing edges glued into place. Next is establishing the correct positioning of the aileron ribs and gluing the top 1/8" stringers into place,followed by removing panel from the build board and framing the left panel. Looking forward to seeing the fuselage with the 80" ,wing on place.
Dec 12, 2019, 06:41 PM
Thread OP
Aileron ribs in place and now adding the 1/8"stringers.
Dec 14, 2019, 03:38 AM
Thread OP
Right wing panel removed from the building board and some finishing work done to the wing tip. The framing of the left wing panel has begun.
Dec 15, 2019, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
The left wing panel now in process of construction,The basic structure of my 80; Douglas DC-6B will be done the first of the week. I think that I'm going with E flite 25-46 tri gear electric retracts,I just received my Balsa USA order and it includes the plywood sizes that I will likely need for mounting the nose retracts and the main gear retracts.
Last edited by fastruchard; Dec 19, 2019 at 11:59 AM.
Dec 15, 2019, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
I started constructing the left wing panel. This coming week I will be able to see and compare the size difference between the 60-80" DC-6's . I just recieved my BALSA USA order,which includes any aircraft grade plywood I may need. Now I can set up the retractable landing gear installation. I had ordered and recieved Robart 606 Air retracts ,however I have decieded against them in favor of the E flite 25/46 electric retracts,so Horizon is helping me to return the Robart Air operated units for a refund, (they are good people to deal with!)
Dec 17, 2019, 05:44 AM
Thread OP
Starting to build the nacelles,using 1/4" balsa strips for extra strength, needed here I think.
Dec 17, 2019, 06:41 PM
Thread OP
Although I typically use SIG-MENT exclusively these days ,I'm assembling the nacelles with ZAP 30 minute epoxy for rigidity,I could of just went with sheet constructed nacelles,however, I'm doing it Pat Tritles way as this type of structure gives me plenty of access for the motor and ESC witing..
Dec 20, 2019, 12:21 AM
Sub’d !
Dec 20, 2019, 01:05 PM
I'm wondering if these plans can be blown up to 150" ws. I'm thinking no, initially. Original plan is to take the 3-views I have and draw up some plans. But this build is turning out pretty nice. Looking forward to the maiden.
Edwin

Quick Reply