Dec 15, 2019, 11:15 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Next step is to get the cabane struts made up. Pat's design calls for some balsa piece that are glued up to the top formers and firewall to form pockets for the cabane wires. As my experience is that it takes me a long time to get the wires set up correctly I wind up wallowing out the slots in the balsa structure a bit which complicates things. So I use some 3/32" OD K&S aluminum tube as an alternate. I glue a base from some scrap 1/8" balsa to the structure where needed, cut a length of the tubing and glue it in place and then add some additional pieces around the tube to form a box to hold it in place When done this gives a rigid structure that I can plug in and remove the cabane wires from many times without worrying about enlarging the holes.

The cabane wires are bent up from 1/16' K&S music wire. The rear struts are easy, just a plain 90 degree bend and cut to length. The two sets of front wires are a bit trickier, they have some complicated bend angles so it takes a good bit of bending, rebending and tweaking to get all the angles and dangles correct. Use the patterns on the plans as a start and bend and tweak as need to get the center section to sit in the correct position. When satisfied the four front wires are silver soldered together at the top and some thin CA is used to lock them into the aluminum receiver tubes in the fuselage. The rear wires will be set in place when the center section is permanently mounted using the foam board alignment jig as some final minor rebending and tweaking will probably be required to get the final alignment exact.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2019, 11:18 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
With the cabane struts in place the top boot cowl pieces are installed. They were made from 1/164" ply (thanks again Ron!!) and some trimming and fiddling is required to get them in the proper position and shape. Once all is fit, they are CA'ed in place and the seams are sanded and filled and resanded as needed.

Also note that the motor mount box has been glued to the firewall and some triangle stock reinforcements have been added.

Next step is to cover the bottom of the center section and make up the alignment jig so the center section can be permanently mounted.

Brian
Dec 15, 2019, 11:23 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Before I installed the cockpit fairing I decided to get the servo mounts and servos installed while I had some more open room. Side rails were made from some scrap 1/8" x 1/4" balsa and were glues to each side. The mounts were made from some 1/8" x 1/4" basswood with some balsa scrap on the underside to give the servo screws a bit more bite. These were glues in place to the side rails and the Hitec HS-55's were installed for the rudder and elevator. Pretty standard stuff here.

Once that is done the cockpit fairing can be made up and glued in place.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Dec 15, 2019, 04:04 PM
Looking good ! This is one of my favorite Pat Tritle designs, have fun building! Mike
Jan 14, 2020, 03:49 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Greetings All

Have been doing some odds and ends on the Pober the last couple of weeks, just haven't had the time or ambition to post any pictures.

Few things done. Rudder and elevator servos are installed on some basswood rails. Used one of the Dubro .047 pushrod kits to run in the elevator pushrod along with a few balsa standoffs to support the plastic tube.

Made up an internal elevator horn using a piece of 1/8" K&S brass tubing. I drilled a 1/16" diameter hole in the center of the tube and used a short piece of 1/16: music wire as a pin and over that a piece of 3/32" brass tube with the end flattened and a 1/16" hole drilled in the flat for the pushrod link. The 1/8" brass tube, music wire and 3/32" tube were silver soldered together and the assembly was epoxied to both elevator halves.

Made up the aileron servo mounts. These are removable hatch covers as I like to be able to access things without having to cut into the model. The hatch opening is framed out with some 3/32" balsa sticks and a piece of 1/8" lite ply that the blind nuts that hold the hatch in place will be located. The hatch itself is a piece of stiff 1/16" balsa with two pieces of 1/4" x 1/2" basswood glued in place for the servo to screw down to. The forward edge gets a lip built up from a piece of 3/32" balsa and a tongue of 1/16" balsa(slips under the hatch framing) and two 2-256 SHCS are used at the other end into blind nuts to hold the hatch cover/servo in place.

Felt the ailerons were a bit whippy so I added some diagonal pieces of 1/16" x 1/8" balsa to stiffen them up a bit.

Started covering the elevators using White World Models Lightex. Still figuring out a covering scheme on the fly.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jan 15, 2020, 07:42 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Allen
Still figuring out a covering scheme on the fly.
You could always copy this one.
Jan 28, 2020, 01:45 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Been doing some odds and ends while working my way through winter and my normal winter Seasonal Affective fun. Tis hibernation time until the days start getting longer and we get more than 5 minutes of sun each day.

Elevators were covered previously and hinged to the stab. The horizontal stab was covered and the fin was glued in place. The rudder was covered, hinged and then attached to the fin and the fin covered. The tail fairing blocks were made from some scraps of balsa and carved and sanded to shape and glued in place.

I made up the strut attachment pieces for the fuselage end of the struts. They are made from a piece of .025" x 1/4" K&S brass strip with a 2-56 nut silver soldered to the strip. I then made a pocket in the fuselage for each strap (4 total) using some scrap balsa and epoxied the straps in place. Will be making the struts from K&S streamline aluminum tubing and they will be fastened to the wing and fuselage using 2-56 bolts instead of the tube and pin setup Pat uses. Just my way of doing things as I tend not to disassemble the planes.

The center section alignment jig was cut from a piece of foam core board and tack glued in place. The rear cabane struts were fiddled with and the center section was aligned, tweaked, measured etc to make sure it was in the proper position. Small keychain type levels were used to get everything aligned up. When set some 5 minute epoxy was used to glue the main cabane bundle and the rear cabane struts in place in the center section while some thin CA was used to glue the rear cabane struts in place in the fuselage.

When everything is cured we can remove the alignment jig, add the aileron servo extension to the center section down into the fuselage and cover the top side of the center section.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jan 31, 2020, 12:31 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Installed the aileron servo leads into the center section and fuselage. Used an 18" extension and a female lead that I soldered to the extension. It was run into the fuselage via a slot cut into the inset sheeting around the right rear cabane strut and will be taped to the strut. Fed up into the center section and one lead out each side. I then finished covering the top of the center section using white and blue Lightex film.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Feb 08, 2020, 02:12 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Benn doing some work on the Pober. Made up the lift and jury struts from 1/4' K&S streamline tubing. Ends are flattened and holes are drilled for 2-56 bolts that go into the blind nuts on the strut plates in the wings and the brass straps on the fuselage. The jury struts were also made up the same way, just some eyeballing and measuring to get the lengths correct. The jury spreader strut is made from a length of 3/16" K&S aluminum tube with the ends flattened and drilled for 2-56 bolts. Am debating whether to leave the struts the natural aluminum color or paint them white. We shall see.

With the struts done I have started to cover the wing panels. Moving along.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Feb 15, 2020, 04:29 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Thread OP
Both wing panels are covered with Lightex so that is done. Made up the aileron linkages using a Dubro .047 micro clevis unit and some .047 K&S music wire with a Dubro micro keeper on the servo ends. Their micro control linkage stuff is really handy. Plugged everything in and the ailerons go up and down like they should.

Made up a battery tray from a piece of 1 1/2" wide 1/8" balsa with some Velcro epoxied to it along with a Velcro strap to hold the 2S 2200 pack. Needs to be glued in place still.

Started working on the plastic cowl. If you recall from the beginning of the thread the USPS did a banana job on the box when Tom at Manzano shipped it to me and snapped a whole bunch of the balsa sheets. Well I unwrapped the plastic cowl pieces the other day and one of the side cowl pieces has a large dent and crease in it which renders it unusable. Never checked the plastic when I looked the broken stuff over way back when. Manzano is closed for a couple weeks for vacation so I asked Sparky if he could make me a replacement side piece and he said he could so I am waiting on that. have trimmed up the one good side piece, the top and bottom pieces and the front cowl so all is ready to assemble when the replacement comes in.

Once the battery tray is in I need to noodle out a bottom hatch and then the fuselage can be covered.

Moving along, will post a couple of pictures later on today.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew

Quick Reply