Dec 07, 2019, 08:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best for a beginner? betaFPV or emax?

So im thinking of getting a whoop style ish fpv drone and im in between the Beta FPV brushed 65 or 85 and someone recommended me the emax tiny hawk. I already have a Taranis so i dont need the beginner package, just the drone and goggles. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2019, 09:11 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
I would get the Tinyhawk S which will fly very well right out of the box it's both 1s & 2s but I only fly mine inside on 1s. Googles I would get the best ones I could afford. Personally I have Fatshark Attidude V5's and am very happy with them they run $299 I think, another good choice would be Fatshark Scouts which are box googles but I have heard good things about them, $199 I think. If money isn't on object you could go with Fatshark HDO2 plus a Rapidfire module $499 & $149. I also have FXT Viper's which is a box google, also great if you wear glasses.
Dec 07, 2019, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps50
I would get the Tinyhawk S which will fly very well right out of the box it's both 1s & 2s but I only fly mine inside on 1s. Googles I would get the best ones I could afford. Personally I have Fatshark Attidude V5's and am very happy with them they run $299 I think, another good choice would be Fatshark Scouts which are box googles but I have heard good things about them, $199 I think. If money isn't on object you could go with Fatshark HDO2 plus a Rapidfire module $499 & $149. I also have FXT Viper's which is a box google, also great if you wear glasses.
Im on a tight budget, but maybe ill get the Emax box goggle or beta ones? but ill see if i can go with a better brand, Thanks!
Dec 07, 2019, 10:32 PM
Enjoying every minute of it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbean_fox
Im on a tight budget, but maybe ill get the Emax box goggle or beta ones? but ill see if i can go with a better brand, Thanks!
Saw the review on Kababs youtube page for Eachine EV800DM recently:

Eachine EV800DM - Spectacular budget goggle (13 min 15 sec)

Eachine EV800DM Varifocal 5.8G 40CH Diversity FPV Goggles with HD DVR 3 Inch 900*600 Video Headset Build in 2000mAh Battery - US$78.90
Promotion Sale From December 2 to December 9

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-EV8...r_warehouse=CN

then BGJPEV11 $14.19 off from Kabab's youtube page above, so ~$65 with discount code if it still works.

Also, +1 for the Tinyhawk, lots of fun to be had with it, just got one recently myself because of Gramps50's recommendation when I asked.
Dec 10, 2019, 02:28 AM
Just an earth-bound misfit
Agree 100%, the Attitude 5s are great, Whole different world flying with those. Just broke down and got them a couple months ago . . . should have done it in Spring, not late fall. I have read good reviews about both of the FS box style goggles too. I wear glasses . . . just to see . . . but didn't like my box goggles at all. Uncomfortable, heavy, awkward, and with or w/o my glasses, never in focus all that good. I used my 7" diversity screen instead (about $50 w/o the DVR) a good 90% of the time. Now I fly with an attitude . . . ₿ↄ}

I thought Eachine had two different box goggles with diversity in the $75 - $80 range, probably older models, and both had decent reviews and were a good value for the money. Make sure what you look at actually says "diversity" and not just has two antennas. Diversity has two receiver modules, one for each antenna, dual antennas is just two antennas and one receiver module. Better than just having one, but not a whole lot.

To me, the Mobula 75 is the best over all brushless Whoop in that size, and easily the best value for your money. Flies great Whoopin through the house on 1S, and I get consistent 5+ minute flights on 450/550 1S batteries. I can go outside, double up the batteries for 2S, and it really moves along great, and I still get the same flight times racing around outside on the doubled up batteries. I've beat the krap outta mine for over a year, stick a battery or two in, arm the critter, and up, up and away just like new . . .
Dec 10, 2019, 12:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_OH
Agree 100%, the Attitude 5s are great, Whole different world flying with those. Just broke down and got them a couple months ago . . . should have done it in Spring, not late fall. I have read good reviews about both of the FS box style goggles too. I wear glasses . . . just to see . . . but didn't like my box goggles at all. Uncomfortable, heavy, awkward, and with or w/o my glasses, never in focus all that good. I used my 7" diversity screen instead (about $50 w/o the DVR) a good 90% of the time. Now I fly with an attitude . . . ₿ↄ}

I thought Eachine had two different box goggles with diversity in the $75 - $80 range, probably older models, and both had decent reviews and were a good value for the money. Make sure what you look at actually says "diversity" and not just has two antennas. Diversity has two receiver modules, one for each antenna, dual antennas is just two antennas and one receiver module. Better than just having one, but not a whole lot.

To me, the Mobula 75 is the best over all brushless Whoop in that size, and easily the best value for your money. Flies great Whoopin through the house on 1S, and I get consistent 5+ minute flights on 450/550 1S batteries. I can go outside, double up the batteries for 2S, and it really moves along great, and I still get the same flight times racing around outside on the doubled up batteries. I've beat the krap outta mine for over a year, stick a battery or two in, arm the critter, and up, up and away just like new . . .
Oh dang ! the mobula 75 is the best deal with 4 batteries and so on ! but im not sure if they send it over here and im really set on getting a Beta fpv
Dec 10, 2019, 12:36 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Quote:
Oh dang ! the mobula 75 is the best deal with 4 batteries and so on ! but im not sure if they send it over here and im really set on getting a Beta fpv
brain and i may not agree on a lot of things, but the mob7 is pure win.
racdayquads.com under $100 shipped to san juan.
Dec 10, 2019, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
brain and i may not agree on a lot of things, but the mob7 is pure win.
racdayquads.com under $100 shipped to san juan.
Now you got me interested !!! im missing the goggles thou :C i wanted to get the quad + goggles + extra batteries around 120-140$ but dang thats a great option,i love that it comes with extra batteries.

In your opinion,is it beginner ish ? thanks
Dec 10, 2019, 12:54 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
yes its good for beginner on 1s. I know that the RDQ mob7 comes with v4 board and a decent tune out of the box on BF4.0.4.
when ordering from china you never really know what version you'll be getting of anything.
IMO you should spend as much as your budget allows on goggles. skimping there only costs in the long run. (honestly skimping on most things in this hobby just ends up costing more in the long run) I went thru USB phone dongles, FPV screens, then box goggles before finally just buying a pair of fatsharks.
Dec 10, 2019, 01:35 PM
Quote:
The batteries are really the only thing that's a pos in the package. I've never put anything that small in the Mobula . . . I'd rather be flying than changing batteries. Plus the batteries themselves are garbage. 3 of the 4, using them on my 65 B/S & B03s, and being careful, the wires pulled right off the battery. Had a batch of little URUAV that did the same thing. The Mobula handles a 450/550mAh easily, and especially inside flies well over 5 minutes. I'm sure both of Xinte's sites would ship to you. I've also bought from RDQ, and they are excellent to deal with too. GnB & Crazypony 300/350s, in that small size have been the best for me . . . but still don't use them on the Mobula . . .

Any of the brushless Whoops, especially in the same size are going to fly about the same. They're (almost)all running Betaflight and a version + or - from another. I've had no problem flying all of my Crazybee board Whoops and Picks with what ever Betaflight settings came with it. The Mobula can be as tame and mild as you want cruising around FPV in the house, and turns into a completely different critter on 2S outside screaming around . . . and still easily flyable.

I'm barely ahead with working Crazybee boards vs ones that are not . . . but only have one BetaFPV board that works out of five I've bought. The Betas can't compete with the Mobulas in air time either.

If you can throw about $20 at this hobby w/o hurting, you can get a 4.3" FPV screen that is basically what they put in most of the box goggles. That would at least get you airborn FPV, and you could take your time looking at goggles. Can't really hurt yourself with getting an extra screen anyway. For your goggles though, diversity is well worth the extra you pay for it. Range in general is better, and you're going to get the strongest signal from the two antennas, and get a lot less breakup. I have more in my goggles then anything else quad I have . . . and at least by times two . . . or three . . . and again, wish I would have done it months earlier and really enjoyed my Summer and early Fall flying around with them. You don't need to spend that much on goggles to enjoy using them, but you won't be hurt or disappointed spending the max you can honestly afford, especially looking at a lot of reviews on any you're thinking about to make your decision.
Dec 10, 2019, 01:58 PM
I must be the only person on this forum that doesn't like the Mobula7. Had it, thought it was awful. Didn't fill the roles of an indoor whoop or an outdoor toy very well. I think you're better off with a Tinyhawk or Tinyhawk S. The mobula was too touchy inside, and yes I did the indoor throttle cut. It was too light and the camera was too awful to have fun outdoors. Having to plug in two batteries per flight was also pretty annoying and the flights only lasted 3-4m of usable flight time in my experience. I was using new Acrobee lipos at the time.

Personally I learned on a Babyhawk-R 2" and besides being a little outdated (no smart audio, F3 processor, no extra UARTS) it's a great and durable little bird. I much enjoyed that over the Mobula. I convinced four of my friends to fly FPV with a Babyhawk-R and three of them ended up buying one themselves. Has far more authority in the air and much more liberating and powerful feeling outside as long as you have a medium-to-large open area to fly it in.

I've had a Beta75 brushed I much more enjoyed for indoors, did not enjoy my Acrobee, loved the Babyhawk-R, now I fly exclusively 5" until someone comes out with a compelling DJI-HD micro frame or BNF.

I'd recommend the old school EV800 or EV800D goggles. Still excellent to this day.
Dec 10, 2019, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom
I must be the only person on this forum that doesn't like the Mobula7. Had it, thought it was awful. Didn't fill the roles of an indoor whoop or an outdoor toy very well. I think you're better off with a Tinyhawk or Tinyhawk S. The mobula was too touchy inside, and yes I did the indoor throttle cut. It was too light and the camera was too awful to have fun outdoors. Having to plug in two batteries per flight was also pretty annoying and the flights only lasted 3-4m of usable flight time in my experience. I was using new Acrobee lipos at the time.

Personally I learned on a Babyhawk-R 2" and besides being a little outdated (no smart audio, F3 processor, no extra UARTS) it's a great and durable little bird. I much enjoyed that over the Mobula. I convinced four of my friends to fly FPV with a Babyhawk-R and three of them ended up buying one themselves. Has far more authority in the air and much more liberating and powerful feeling outside as long as you have a medium-to-large open area to fly it in.

I've had a Beta75 brushed I much more enjoyed for indoors, did not enjoy my Acrobee, loved the Babyhawk-R, now I fly exclusively 5" until someone comes out with a compelling DJI-HD micro frame or BNF.

I'd recommend the old school EV800 or EV800D goggles. Still excellent to this day.
Sounds like you got the Yellow version of the Mobula . . . ₿ↄ}

In the Mobula thread, as huge as it is, there have been people that have got one that just wasn't up to the standard/average that most of them are. With all the n/g Crazybee boards I have, I'm honestly surprised there haven't been a lot more, although that's with a bunch of different versions and are mostly not used on the Mobula.

I never bothered with the throttle limit. The Mobula is more than fast and responsive enough inside on 1S, and other than just to try it, never really run 2S inside anyway. I just put the jumper in the one battery lead, tucked it under the frame and plug my 450/550 in the other, and slide it in the battery bay. Easily controllable on 1S, and had it over a year. Also, it's one of the only quads/Whoops I have with a 25mW camera that gets decent to good range, and has a good daylight picture, and can even fly around the neighborhood at night with it too. I've never outflown the video signal. The new Hawk Whoop is 1-2S too, so would have to do the same with it's leads, and it doesn't stay in the air as long as the (normal working) Mobulas do.

Your 2" Hawk wasn't exactly designed for Whoopin round the house . . . at least not my house . . . Does look like it would be a lot of fun outside, but I was looking at it's 3" big brother when I was first looking at 3"ers too . . . then got drawn over to the Toothpicky side of the Force . . . and now looking at putting together my 3" Primo to go with my 2" Primos . . . 2" props on my 85 brushless Whoops fly totally different than the Mobula with it's little 40mms, even the 85 running the Mobula 802/16kv motors. It's easily noticeably faster especially on 2S, and gets even better flight times on the same size batteries.

I think the goggles you mentioned are at least one of the Eachine diversity ones I was thinking about. Thought there was another diversity one too, with a different model name, but pretty much the same goggle, and was out around the same time. Seemed like a lot of people were using both, and generally were pretty happy with their purchases too.
Dec 10, 2019, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Sounds like you got the Yellow version of the Mobula . . . ₿ↄ}

In the Mobula thread, as huge as it is, there have been people that have got one that just wasn't up to the standard/average that most of them are. With all the n/g Crazybee boards I have, I'm honestly surprised there haven't been a lot more, although that's with a bunch of different versions and are mostly not used on the Mobula.

Brian,

Totally understand that I could have gotten one of those duds. Mine had the 3rd iteration of the frame, which as I understand as the units got further along the production path the QC actually got worse. Nothing was noticeably broken on mine though - it just felt cheap and lightweight and insubstantial in the air. Also with 2S power and a throttle limit whenever it bumped into anything it could still use full power to self right and it would really throttle up in an alarming way. I felt much better with an old school Beta75 brushed model, but I'm not sure I could go back to brushed now that I've experienced a whoop with turtle mode inside. If I were to do indoor again I would buy something that was really meant for 1S. Maybe a Beta75 brushless or Tinyhawk S. The 65mm Acrobee I had I thought was a little touchy and I think the 75mm size was a better fit for my size of house and stability.

Didn't notice the requirement for a whoop style quad. I stand by my recommendation for a 2 or 2.5" quad like the Babyhawk-r for a first timer outside, and actually I encourage people to do that first because whooping is something I only appreciated after I flew a quad outside, and even then it was more of fun practice to help me get better at the real deal. Kind of like autocross is to the track, if anyone here is into cars.

I've had two friends buy just the standard, non diversity EV800 and have been shocked at the RF performance of that goggle. It outperformed by original DJI goggles RE and Fatshark Transformers before I gave up on analog. As a nice bonus it's about $30 less than the EV800D diversity model and has a much better battery life.
Dec 10, 2019, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom
Brian,

Totally understand that I could have gotten one of those duds. Mine had the 3rd iteration of the frame, which as I understand as the units got further along the production path the QC actually got worse. Nothing was noticeably broken on mine though - it just felt cheap and lightweight and insubstantial in the air. Also with 2S power and a throttle limit whenever it bumped into anything it could still use full power to self right and it would really throttle up in an alarming way. I felt much better with an old school Beta75 brushed model, but I'm not sure I could go back to brushed now that I've experienced a whoop with turtle mode inside. If I were to do indoor again I would buy something that was really meant for 1S. Maybe a Beta75 brushless or Tinyhawk S. The 65mm Acrobee I had I thought was a little touchy and I think the 75mm size was a better fit for my size of house and stability.

Didn't notice the requirement for a whoop style quad. I stand by my recommendation for a 2 or 2.5" quad like the Babyhawk-r for a first timer outside, and actually I encourage people to do that first because whooping is something I only appreciated after I flew a quad outside, and even then it was more of fun practice to help me get better at the real deal. Kind of like autocross is to the track, if anyone here is into cars.

I've had two friends buy just the standard, non diversity EV800 and have been shocked at the RF performance of that goggle. It outperformed by original DJI goggles RE and Fatshark Transformers before I gave up on analog. As a nice bonus it's about $30 less than the EV800D diversity model and has a much better battery life.
I caught where the v3 frame was the strongest, but for some reason, lost flight time over the v2. I don't think the Mobula came with that version though, it came out on the Can. Newest Mobula has the F4 board and the v2 frame.

I still enjoy and fly my B03 & B/S 65 brushed through the house a bit. I'm trying some 25kvs on a 65 brushless 1S, had it on 16kvs, but only ran good on 2S that low of kv on the tiny 31mm props.

I thought c_fox was asking about a 1S brushless Whoop for inside . . . my mistake, getting to be that time of year real quick here . . . I was thinking maybe if I found drywall mud on sale . . . really cheap . . . I'd try a 2" Baby Hawk inside . . .

My Mobula on 2S outside really moves along pretty good for a little 75mm quad, and I can cover my neighborhood outside course pretty quick. Racing around and punches and tree top diving I can still get 5 minutes on my doubled up batteries and is even a fun flyer outside on 1S.

Especially inside my house, I need the diversity setup, and run all that have it on 200mW. It sucks up transmission frequencies really bad, even cell phone reception and wi-fi. With the 200 mW, I would still break up in parts of the house, until I got the diversity setup. I've read good to decent reviews on a wide variety of goggles without the diversity too . . . just my experience, I'll take all the help I can get. Can't have too much hp either . . .
Dec 10, 2019, 07:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I caught where the v3 frame was the strongest, but for some reason, lost flight time over the v2. I don't think the Mobula came with that version though, it came out on the Can. Newest Mobula has the F4 board and the v2 frame.

I still enjoy and fly my B03 & B/S 65 brushed through the house a bit. I'm trying some 25kvs on a 65 brushless 1S, had it on 16kvs, but only ran good on 2S that low of kv on the tiny 31mm props.

I thought c_fox was asking about a 1S brushless Whoop for inside . . . my mistake, getting to be that time of year real quick here . . . I was thinking maybe if I found drywall mud on sale . . . really cheap . . . I'd try a 2" Baby Hawk inside . . .

My Mobula on 2S outside really moves along pretty good for a little 75mm quad, and I can cover my neighborhood outside course pretty quick. Racing around and punches and tree top diving I can still get 5 minutes on my doubled up batteries and is even a fun flyer outside on 1S.

Especially inside my house, I need the diversity setup, and run all that have it on 200mW. It sucks up transmission frequencies really bad, even cell phone reception and wi-fi. With the 200 mW, I would still break up in parts of the house, until I got the diversity setup. I've read good to decent reviews on a wide variety of goggles without the diversity too . . . just my experience, I'll take all the help I can get. Can't have too much hp either . . .
Dang this really got heated up ! haha
im glad everyone has there own opinions and recomendations. Im Deciding between the beta 85 brushed thats on sale of the mobula that really got my eye since its brushless and brings enough batteries for me to start,yea the included batteries might be garbage but it will help me get in the air and comfortable and then i can get better ones.
im thinking of getting a eachine or beta or Emax box goggle set,or if any one knows some one selling better ones used please let me know.

Quick Reply