Jan 26, 2020, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
Great Fotos Bob. Iíll write a report after mass.
Thanks Ray, I had a great time even though I didn't fly this one.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2020, 04:09 PM
Nice photos Bob! Keep it up and thanks for sharing!
Gary
Jan 26, 2020, 05:37 PM
Short report

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=403

Nice turn out.

Also Gary presented Dale his sportsman first place for 2019 season and to John his Open 3rd place award. Congratulations guys.

Bob hope you can get your dlg fixed by Feb 8.

Also my dlg was rescued. The first tree company called seemed to be a bit flaky. The company that did show up, is based with in 15 min of the Field. Their business card is posted. First time Iíve called a tree service but they were worried about damaging the plane. I told them not to worry just get it out of the tree.

They arrived quickly and climbed up safely. Used a pole to push my plane out of the tree. My plane battery was low so it came down through the branches with a few nicks but itís all good to fly again.

I was impressed with the ropes and knots the climber used to safely secure himself and to rappel down the tree.
Last edited by rockbus; Jan 26, 2020 at 05:46 PM.
Jan 28, 2020, 10:29 PM
Howdy!

I’ll be your CD for Feb 15. Please sign up here:
https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve...&event_id=1796

While you are there, check out the tasks I’ve perfectly optimized for February weather in Poway

See you there!

John
Jan 28, 2020, 11:06 PM
Thread OP
I’m in! Looking forward to it.

One easy way to see the contest details, including the tasks is to select “View full event info “ from the “Select event action” menu. Or just click here.
Jan 29, 2020, 05:58 PM
I'm in
Jan 29, 2020, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcneil86043

While you are there, check out the tasks Iíve perfectly optimized for February weather in Poway
Hi John - I'm not seeing the tasks via the Vault...
Gary
Jan 29, 2020, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalator
Hi John - I'm not seeing the tasks via the Vault...
Gary

Gary

John listed them in "View Full Event View"

Round Type Round Task
Preliminary 1 F3K Task D - Ladder
Preliminary 2 F3K Task H - 1,2,3,4 Minute
Preliminary 3 F3K Task F - Three of Six (3:00 Max)
Preliminary 4 F3K Task I - Three Longest (3:20 Max)
Preliminary 5 F3K Task C - All Up Last Down (3:00 Max) x3
Preliminary 6 F3K Task E (2020) - Poker (Pilot Nominated) 3 Flights in 10

Cant make this one. Have fun.
Feb 04, 2020, 06:03 PM
Winter Postal Feb 8 Saturday. Sign up in the vault.

Brian up in Long Beach has a vortex for sale:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-DLG-airframes
Feb 09, 2020, 11:40 AM
Marc
I'm in, looking forward to Poway.

Marc
Feb 13, 2020, 10:04 AM
Reminder that we've got our monthly TPG DLG coming up this Saturday.
https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve...&event_id=1796
11 people registered so far...
Feb 14, 2020, 08:33 PM
Is everyone signed up? Should I make the draw and print the score cards?
Feb 14, 2020, 09:29 PM
Good chance of me showing up tomorrow. However, I'm still waiting on my DLG I ordered 4 months ago so I would be a spectator or timer.
Feb 14, 2020, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythradites
Good chance of me showing up tomorrow. However, I'm still waiting on my DLG I ordered 4 months ago so I would be a spectator or timer.
Excellent! We have an odd number of pilots so could use a timer
Feb 16, 2020, 11:10 AM
We had absolutely perfect weather for our DLG contest. It was cool and sunny, and, pleasing to any contest director, the lift was not plentiful. The field itself was lovely. The farmed section is covered with about 6Ē of new growth while the field has about 1Ē of growth. Thanks very much Sandy and Cliff for mowing it! Thirteen pilots arrived from all over Southern California and we got prepped.

As always, I received lots of help with the setup, and between Don Lochead ís wireless sound system, and the new timing board from Chuck Norris, we had a world-class setup for our monthly contest in just a few minutes. I used Tim Traverís F3Xvault com to setup the tasks, print score cards, make the flight matrices, and record the scores. At the pilotís meeting we decided to run 5 rounds of 3 heats each instead of our standard 6x2 format. This solved our problem with the odd number of pilots and is the format used at the Cookie Toss series up in Long Beach. I was able to rebuild the flight matrix in few minutes, and we got the contest rolling just a few minutes late.

I exercised my CDís discretion and called the now discontinued small ladder to start. The first flight group started before the air was active, so only Gary got all 5 flights. The second two heats had an easier time with this task. The second round was 1, 2, 3, and 4, and the conditions were nice with about half the pilots making these times. Round three was 3 x 3:00. The conditions became more challenging with some clear, but short, down cycles, however, a good fraction of our contestants were up to the task. One pilot (me) got in trouble North of the trees, and in desperation turned in a low thermal and ended up hitting the tree behind the timing tent. Luckily, the tree spat me out and the plane landed fine. With a little help we recovered the plane and managed to get a 1:18 - this despite me forgetting I had a minute or working time and giving up. Luckily my timer snapped me out of it and we got a flight in.

In a clear sign that I, as CD, I am a powerful leader, Dave immediately treed his plan in the next heat. While I appreciate the urge to emulate me, I donít appreciate being bested. Whereas I hit the middle of a tree and bounced out, Dave landed perfectly and gently in the tip-top of our tallest tree. Happily, he was able to get hold of an arborist who retrieved the plane in time for lunch at Rubioís. Meanwhile, we started round 4 which was 3 x 3:20. The lift was much more ďinterestingĒ with the thermals moving rapidly South East and with lots of sink between the thermals. During this round two flocks of American Pelicans joined at the top of a thermal Gary was flying in while I timed for him. They were spectacular in their white and black plumage. They rode that thermal out of site through the no-fly zone. I hope Gary did OK that round, I was much moire interested in those birds. We wrapped up the contest with all-ups. Again the conditions made everyone work for their times. Standing there for 90 sec. while the thermal you spotted disapeared to the East requires excellent air reading. In my last flight I went downwind while Gary and Brent got a read upwind. I landed quickly while they specked-out. The difference was I was standing at the East end of the field, while Gary and Brent were halfway up the field, this allowed them to feel the wind shift just before the buzzer, and before it reached me. So now I know, even with the ability to launch and cover ground, where I stand on the field is still important.

Thanks for all the pilots, and all the club members who have made being a CD an easy and fun job. If you are considering directing a contest, give it a try, itís never been easier!

You can find all the scores here: https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve...&event_id=1796

John

Quick Reply