Jan 11, 2020, 02:05 PM
Thread OP
Hi all, just a ping to remind everyone that our first contest of 2020 is next Saturday, the 18th.

I'll be announcing the tasks soon, but I wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone that this is a contest series, and at the end of the year, the Torrey Pines Gulls will compile the scores for the year and give out awards!

The way this works is very much like a single contest - your scores for each contest are compiled for each pilot, and the ones with the highest combined scores for the year win.

I can tell you from personal experience that persistence counts for a lot! Every contest you attend puts points on the board, so come on out and start earning points for the year!

Register here: http://f3xvault.com/?action=event&fu...&event_id=1741

Chuck
Last edited by cn0rris; Jan 11, 2020 at 02:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2020, 02:45 PM
Thread OP

We love visitors!

In case you've never been to one of the Gull's Monthly DLG contests, we start with the pilot's meeting at 8:45, and start at 9:00 sharp with the first task. We usually wrap up around 12:30 or so, which is the perfect time to head over to Rubio's for some lunch.

The flying field is in Poway, and the following links will take you to the gated entrance off of Garden Road - just choose your favorite mapping app:

Apple Maps: https://maps.apple.com/?q=32.956068,...0,0.030265&t=h
Google Maps> https://www.google.com/maps/place/32...!4d-117.009647
IHLGF Website: http://www.ihlgf.com/directions

We love to have visitors, and you're welcome whether you're a new pilot or have years of experience. Even if you're just curious about DLG, come on out and see what it's all about.

Chuck
Last edited by cn0rris; Jan 12, 2020 at 02:53 PM.
Jan 12, 2020, 06:53 PM
Really looking forward to next Saturday Chuck!
Gary
Jan 16, 2020, 11:05 AM
I'm gonna show up, bring out my TopSky, and hope someone is willing to help me get this thing set up properly. I'm still trying to figure out how to set up cruise/float/thermal on my ix12, and I haven't even thrown the plane yet (just got it for Christmas).

I definitely want to learn more about DLG after seeing someone throw one at the AMA Expo in Nov. and having a little Whipit, and the last thing I want to do is completely crash my xmas present.

Is there a gate for the Poway field, and if so, will it be unlocked on Saturday? Anything I need to be aware of if I want to show up?
Jan 16, 2020, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=sprzout;43611587]I'm gonna show up, bring out my TopSky, and hope someone is willing to help me get this thing set up properly. I'm still trying to figure out how to set up cruise/float/thermal on my ix12, and I haven't even thrown the plane yet (just got it for Christmas).

I definitely want to learn more about DLG after seeing someone throw one at the AMA Expo in Nov. and having a little Whipit, and the last thing I want to do is completely crash my xmas present.

Is there a gate for the Poway field, and if so, will it be unlocked on Saturday? Anything I need to be aware of if I want to show up?[/QUOTE

Gate should be open by 8 am. Bring your plane and txer. Someone will help you setup your radio.

Introduce your self to anyone with a dlg. These guys are there to help

Ray
Jan 16, 2020, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus

Gate should be open by 8 am. Bring your plane and txer. Someone will help you setup your radio.

Introduce your self to anyone with a dlg. These guys are there to help

Ray
Excellent, thanks Ray! Looking forward to meeting the guys (although, I've probably met a few already - I've flown a few times out at Dave's since it's maybe 3 mi. from where I work, and I head over there in the summer to try and get some soaring in on Wed. nights).
Jan 17, 2020, 02:39 AM
Looking forward to this Saturday. I need to escape from school work and take a rest with DLG.
Jan 17, 2020, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MengchenLouisLi
Looking forward to this Saturday. I need to escape from school work and take a rest with DLG.
Education is over rated Mengchen.

I heard that the top DLG Pilots get a 6 figure stipend from Armsoar, Vladimir, and Stream.
Jan 17, 2020, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
Education is over rated Mengchen.

I heard that the top DLG Pilots get a 6 figure stipend from Armsoar, Vladimir, and Stream.
Sounds interesting, but l am not the top DLG pilot . At least, I am gonna finish my graduate school first.
Jan 18, 2020, 06:37 PM
Charles Martin

Pokerface

Sorry I couldn't attend, but hopefully in February.

Looks like an interesting Poker round - got any stories to tell?

Cheers, Charles

P.S.: If you want to fly the new 2020 tasks in February, then I can bring my laptop with Gliderscore
Jan 19, 2020, 05:01 PM
Thanks Chuck for arranging a great contest! Nice to see so many new faces at the field.
-Gary
Jan 20, 2020, 11:14 AM
Thanks for letting me come out and point me in the right direction for my TopSky. I've got it further along, going to try to give it some tosses this weekend out at Palomar's field (I have to be out there for some informal "biplane combat" events anyway) and see how well she flies. I'll probably have more questions, but I'm getting closer to getting a good DLG throw out of it.
Jan 20, 2020, 01:41 PM
Winter Postal Jan 25. See the winter postal thread for details.

https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve..._id=1748&tab=2

We'll try a couple of the new 2020 tasks.

Ray
Jan 26, 2020, 01:00 PM
Great Fotos Bob. Iíll write a report after mass.

Quick Reply