Dec 07, 2019, 01:46 PM
Joe
Thread OP
Discussion

Airbrush painting larger models

Hi

Looking for some advice, just finished a small 1:14 scale p47, it was a built up balsa fuse/wing that was lightly glassed. I used thinned Tamia acrylic paints with an airbrush to finish it.

Is there a more cost effective way of purchasing this kind of paint for airbrushing? I really want 250ml tins rather than the little 20ml glass jars? Am I using the wrong kind of paint? I am happy with the finish but my current 1:4 scale project will require more paint!

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2019, 02:26 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
1/5 Zero airbrushed with Latex from Home Depot and satin clear from systems3

This took quite a bit of time with the airbrush but came out nice,,, What 1/4 airframe are you building?
Dec 07, 2019, 03:58 PM
When I paint a large plane I use a 1 qt spray gun. No way I would want to do that job with an airbrush. The cheapest paint is going to be latex from Home Depot. Dope, epoxy, or automotive paints are going to be much more money.

carl
Dec 07, 2019, 04:51 PM
On my last build of a 28% (94" span) Fly Baby I used latex from ACE Hardware. They will sell a pint sampler can of colored to suit for $5. I used rattle can poly semi gloss to seal it. I put it on with a Harbor Freight and Tool auto touch up sprayer. The hopper on it holds about 1/4 pint. I thinned about 10%.

It has proven to be very durable with gasoline. My project required just over half of a pint on the wing panels and stabs and 1/3 pint on the fuselage and cowl.
Dec 07, 2019, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrover
When I paint a large plane I use a 1 qt spray gun. No way I would want to do that job with an airbrush. The cheapest paint is going to be latex from Home Depot. Dope, epoxy, or automotive paints are going to be much more money.

carl
I owe those who suggested latex. As you say, it is much cheaper and EZ to buy at the neighborhood hardware. It is certainly EZ to clean up the little spray rig. It goes on EZ and has proved durable when sealed with poly.
Dec 07, 2019, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
I owe those who suggested latex. As you say, it is much cheaper and EZ to buy at the neighborhood hardware. It is certainly EZ to clean up the little spray rig. It goes on EZ and has proved durable when sealed with poly.
And also important to me you can spray it indoors,, virtually no smell,, little lone any toxic fumes
Dec 07, 2019, 06:44 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Flat, satin or egg shell latex?
Dec 07, 2019, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1
Flat, satin or egg shell latex?
s
Behr Flat works well,, Lowes sells a satin in the small jars,,, that works OK too,,,

1/5 scale Yellow at-6 wings are painted with the Lowes paint,,, I still have to add the gloss clear,,

The sky blue on the bottom of the ESM LA-7 is from lowes too

Yes also both done with an airbrush downstairs in my basement
Dec 07, 2019, 10:09 PM
Play that funky music right
I've use the craft acrylic paint in the little $1 bottles and cleared coated it with automotive urethane. Pretty satisfied with the results but needs quite a but of paint for full saturation.

Another modeler here suggested as he uses it, using artist acrylic paints. Highly pigmented using finely ground pigments. This will cover better than the course pigments in latex paint. Artist paint is relatively inexpensive. It is quite thick and needs to be thinned quite a bit to spray but the OP said it isn't an issue.

Ken
Dec 08, 2019, 05:32 AM
Joe
Thread OP
Thanks for all the help, these models look great.

I'm from the UK, and there doesn't seem to be anything called latex paint around. Does this have another name elsewhere? Sounds similar to emulsion paint?
Dec 08, 2019, 07:46 AM
When we say "latex",, it's just your standard water based interior house paint,, over here they sell sample sizes for $4 or so so you don't have to buy a gallon every time
Dec 08, 2019, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2003
Thanks for all the help, these models look great.

I'm from the UK, and there doesn't seem to be anything called latex paint around. Does this have another name elsewhere? Sounds similar to emulsion paint?
If what you call emulsion is a water based paint now in general use, it might be the same.
Dec 08, 2019, 08:29 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
I've used 'artist' acrylic paint, too, with an airbrush. Thinned at 50-70% water, and well shaken (not stirred...), coverage is good. Colours can be mixed easily to get custom tints, but it's perhaps best to mix all in one go, as it's delicate, trying to match an existing shade. My 'planes are not enormous, though, so a paint-shop 'touch-up' gun might be better for larger surfaces.
Dec 08, 2019, 09:20 AM
Play that funky music right
I use one of the automotive HVLP touch up guns similar to this one. https://www.harborfreight.com/4-oz-h...gun-61473.html It will lay down enough paint for larger areas like wings but can be turned down to do very fine work. There are many choices and you can spend any amount of money you like.

Ken
Dec 08, 2019, 09:56 AM
I agree,, I have a touch up cup also, and a 1 qt, HVLP set up,, a 1qt gun is just way to big and would waste so much paint in overspray

Another tip,,

If you are going to use a air compressor fed gun, it's very helpful to have a volume control valve at the gun to minimize that blast at the first trigger pull,,

I've been using this little gem for 20 years

Name: 102_2882.JPG
Views: 28
Size: 968.0 KB
Description:

Quick Reply