This thread is privately moderated by Raymond-leflyr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 07, 2019, 12:16 AM
Hey, watch this!
Thread OP
Discussion

Safe

I'm gonna write this here for two reasons; one is that I feel it is safe for me to write this here on a RCG blog since I don't expect too many people (if any) to see this and two, that means I won't get people fussing at me for having an opinion. But it makes me feel better to get things like this out of my system and if I send this to people I know or put it in our club"s newsletter, I might hurts someones feelings or make someone angry. This way I am pretty much anonymous.

I am not a big fan of SAFE. I keep seeing bad things happen to airplanes when the pilot can't exercise enough control to correct a problem. Yes, I know that one can flip a switch and change the setting, but pretty much new pilots in a panic mode don't think of that - let alone remember where the right switch is. Guys at my club have flown into trees and behind the pits when they can't make a sharp enough turn. The other thing is that when a person "masters" his $300 trainer and advances to a more challenging model that isn't equipped with gyros guess what happens. It just makes you sick to see nice World War II ARFs snap on takeoff.

On a positive note; I love my little UMX ARFs. I think it is a mark of our technological progress that someone figured out how to get gyros in those tiny receiver/servo bricks. And I'm betting that they wouldn't sell near as many without gyros. Heavy sigh.

Finally, has anyone beside me found it hard to find the old "bricks" for little scratch indoor projects?

P.S. I have been an active flyer and AMA member since the mid 70s and the good ole days were great, but today's models and systems are better - although I do miss having a winter building project(s).
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply