stooge launcher? - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Mar 16, 2005, 04:15 AM
VidViper
roger ingersoll's Avatar

stooge launcher?


Been piddling with various ideas for a good stooge launcher, but I'd love to get you folks' ideas.

Any good plans/ideas/pix for a workable stooge?

Thanx a meg,
M
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2005, 08:53 AM
Registered User
Try Alan's RC Links -- there are several launchers listed on his site.
Mar 16, 2005, 01:59 PM
VidViper
roger ingersoll's Avatar

woah


Tried your suggestion of Allan's RC links--but the site's HUGE.

Doing a word search for every combination of stooge launcher I could think of yielded nothing on that page.

Could you zero me in a bit?

Thanx,
M
Mar 16, 2005, 04:03 PM
Registered User
Try the heading: Catapults, Bungees & Winches

You might also want to try a GOOGLE search with: plane launch stooge

Stooges are also used heavily in RC combat, so a search here in the combat forums and at RC Universe might give some hits. A broad search in RCU for stooge gives multiple hits.

Also here: http://www.checksixplans.net/

andrew
Mar 16, 2005, 05:57 PM
Registered User
Most stooges are very similar. The one I use is based loosely on the Brodak design that I'm sure you've seen http://www.brodak.com/shop_productde...maincatagory=1

The base is wood and rather larger but it's the same idea. I'll post a pic if I can find where I've put it. I don't use it much these days. No need for a stooge with remote-switched electric CL .

Steve
Mar 17, 2005, 01:34 AM
VidViper
roger ingersoll's Avatar

kool


Thanx, Andrew, and Steve, for your helpful links.

One thing I have noticed at nearly every hit on this topic is that I should NEVER fly alone--especially not with gas engines.

(Makes sense, I guess. Propellors do have BLADES after all . . .).
Mar 17, 2005, 03:46 AM
Registered User
But many of us do fly alone....it's either that or not fly at all. There are almost no people round here interested in CL that I've found, the local RC clubs won't let me fly with them and there's a limit to how much you can put on long-suffering friends and relatives. If I wait for a helper to turn up I'll never get to fly .

I do agree that you need to be specially careful on your own. A fixed routine helps as does a good solid stooge .

Steve
Mar 17, 2005, 04:11 AM
VidViper
roger ingersoll's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick
But many of us do fly alone....it's either that or not fly at all. There are almost no people round here interested in CL that I've found, the local RC clubs won't let me fly with them and there's a limit to how much you can put on long-suffering friends and relatives. If I wait for a helper to turn up I'll never get to fly .
Guess I'm lucky in that. (Fair number of CL users, considering what a small town Eugene is).

And it's funny (read SAD) that nearly all of us in the CL group have at least tried RC--but NONE of the local RC users will even touch CL. Pathetic snobs, the lot.
Quote:
I do agree that you need to be specially careful on your own. A fixed routine helps as does a good solid stooge .
And paying even closer attention to the details. One of the more interesting reasons I read for the advantage of having someone else along is that they can monitor the site while you're flying. Like, if kids/dogs/whatever decide to wander in.

But I really need to get in some handle time, and it's getting silly, waiting around for weekends and for--as you say--long-suffering friends to agree to get sprayed with castor oil just so I can fly.
Mar 17, 2005, 08:35 AM
Registered User
If your C/L will ROG, a simple release can be cobbled up in about 5 minutes with a block of wood, a couple of nails and some string.

Interesting comments about the R/C flyers. We lost our field last year and have leased property from the local airport -- the airport owns several hundred acres and we are locating on one corner, maximum distance from the active strip.

Even though we were exclusively an R/C club, we are putting in a C/L circle -- many of us flew C/L long before R/C and several of us still have planes. I've built several 1/2A's for my son to fly, but park flying draws too many kids, dogs and watchers to be safe. Besides us old guys flying C/L, we figure that it will offer some entertainment for the kids that come to the field with parents.

There is a nice coroplast flying wing plan available from the Balsa Beavers Club that can be built for a buck or two that is almost indestructable. I've built a couple just to have in the truck if someone wants to try C/L at the field.
Mar 17, 2005, 03:30 PM
Registered User
TLyttle's Avatar
A long time ago, I saw a hint about flying on your own, and I tried it. I took the tire iron and jammed it into the ground half way out the lines, brought the model around to the handle, started the engine, picked up the handle, released the model. There isn't enough tension on the lines to damage them, so the model just follows the lines around the iron during takeoff. Once clear of the iron, the model is usually flying and away you go. Only trick is to keep the model on the ground until the lines clear; if you hurry the takeoff, there is a bit of a bounce on the lines.

I used this method for some years when other flyers were hard to find, and it worked very well.
Mar 17, 2005, 03:38 PM
VidViper
roger ingersoll's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0820
If your C/L will ROG, a simple release can be cobbled up in about 5 minutes with a block of wood, a couple of nails and some string.
Woops. The baby ringmaster's the only gear plane in my hangar.
Quote:
Interesting comments about the R/C flyers. We lost our field last year and have leased property from the local airport -- the airport owns several hundred acres and we are locating on one corner, maximum distance from the active strip.

Even though we were exclusively an R/C club, we are putting in a C/L circle -- many of us flew C/L long before R/C and several of us still have planes. I've built several 1/2A's for my son to fly, but park flying draws too many kids, dogs and watchers to be safe. Besides us old guys flying C/L, we figure that it will offer some entertainment for the kids that come to the field with parents.
This is kool. I'm glad you KY rc's are not such snobs. Maybe it's that the rc crowd here's mostly younger guys. The guy I fly with is exclusively RC, and he constantly has to catch himself to keep from condescending when he's with me. (Calls CL "string flying").

And I'm amazed, in the aftermath of 9/11 and Homeland Security and the like, that you're allowed to fly RC anywhere near an airport. (Not that there's any real danger there--it's just that paranoia has ruined it for the rc-er's here. We get to use the overflow parking area, East of our local airport, and we tried to let the RC group come and join us on our Sunday fly-in's, but the airport security ran them off).
Quote:
There is a nice coroplast flying wing plan available from the Balsa Beavers Club that can be built for a buck or two that is almost indestructable. I've built a couple just to have in the truck if someone wants to try C/L at the field.
This if fabulous. I just finished building what I'd thought was THE minimalist airplane--but this coroplast ship has gotta take the cake. Thanx a meg, Andrew, for sharing that link.

Here's a shot of my recent ship. It's THE RAYZOR, from Ray Stone at MinnesotaModelers. He calls it a combat trainer. You see he's taken the concept of a plank-wing to the limit. I love the fuse, which is just two pieces of ply, sandwiched together. There's also a strip of ply in the wing.

Usually think of a profile model as having a vertical fuse, but this thing's horizontal. It's nuts.
Mar 17, 2005, 03:47 PM
VidViper
roger ingersoll's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle
A long time ago, I saw a hint about flying on your own, and I tried it. I took the tire iron and jammed it into the ground half way out the lines, brought the model around to the handle, started the engine, picked up the handle, released the model.
This has gotta be the simplest stooge concept I've seen so far.

(Almost worth mounting gear on another plane, just to give it a try).

Thanx, TLyttle, for sharing this,
M
Mar 17, 2005, 09:47 PM
Registered User
TLyttle's Avatar
More than welcome! If the model is capable of taking off grass, it works. I was originally concerned aboiut "bending" the lines, but I found no damage whatsoever after launching this way for years; radius of the wrench is large enough to prevent damage, it seems.

It's more fun flying with someone, though...
Mar 17, 2005, 10:15 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
The simplest stooge is the best.

You replace the tailwheel wire with a slightly longer one.. and bend a full circle in it.

Take a chunk of 1/2 inch plywood and screw 2 pieces of 1X2 to it (parallel a convenient distance for your fuselage) then screw 2 eyebolts on top of that in a line perpendicular to the 1X2s.

Drill the ply for one to four 10 inch X 3/8 spikes you can get at Lowes or Home Depot (huge nails) (however many it will take to hold the plane back without dragging the nails out of the ground)

Get a 1 ft length of music wire (strong enough to hold the model back without significant bending) and bend a loop on the end

Add enough string to get it to the center of the circle and tie a stick or something to it for a handle.

Drive in the nails.. place the aircraft on the stooge.. run out the stooge line before the control lines. (so you don't frget it) and insert the pin-wire through one eyebolt then the loop n the tailwheel wire then the other eyebolt. (make sure the control handle and stooge handle are side by side...)

Start engine.. run out and pick up the control handle in you flying hand... and the stooge handle in the other... pull the stooge handle and drop it when the plane moves. You should be flying in about 3 seconds.

**********

you can add a launch dolly to just about any model.. 3 wheels and some music wire.
Mar 18, 2005, 12:15 PM
Registered User
I often used a stooge of the dead simple kind already described - one thing - most of us run the lines through our fingers as we walk out to as a last minute check for kinks etc. Best not to with a stooge - they can sometimes release prematurely (hapened to me once in thousands of flight over 20 years) and if that shoulld happen you can end up with badly cut hands - came across a couple of such instances over the years

Mike


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stooge launcher? roger ingersoll 1/2A Planes 2 Mar 16, 2005 01:37 PM