Dec 09, 2019, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee
I might as well send you one of these. A fully programmable, self contained PWM generator.(Freq and Width)
Drives MOSFETs very nicely. Been tinkering with EFI here as well.
PM your address and I can pop one in the mail.
your pm box is full
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2019, 12:39 PM
One of the worlds best hobbies
Just made room

BTW, When I run a bit of castor, I am able to cut back on the synthetic oil rather than needing to add more.
Dec 09, 2019, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Gary.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Dec 09, 2019, 01:31 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighcopter
the ability to easily switch fuels seems like a plus for this system.
Not really. the system is versatile in that it can be used for both, but changing from one fuel to another involves a lot more than just changing a few settings (long story, if you want to know, I'll be happy to explain but for now I leave it at this). All in all, I would strongly advise to stick with one fuel once everything has been dialled in.

But I can assure you that once you are hooked on gasoline, you will not see need to ever go back. Methanol will never be cheaper, and doubtful easier to get.
If health or smell are factors, then the Stihl, Aspen or other Alkylate fuels are still most likely easier to buy than methanol on account of lots more people owning chainsaws or weedwhackers than toy planes or racing cars.
Now of course, that is "in general", because some people live near a dragstrip or LHS or such, but more people don't than do. But everybody lives within reasonable distance of a place where gasoline and common 2-stroke oil are sold, or hardwarestores that sell Alkylate fuel.

Cue Gary countering with "smell" and "been there, done that" in 3, 2, 1.... (just pulling your leg, Gary ).

Doesn't change the fact that of all the people I have converted engines for so far, not one single one of them has switched back to glow. Several have sent me another engine, several have visited me to learn how to do the next one themselves.
Dec 09, 2019, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Visiting is currently out of the question but I will learn how to do this and repeat it in the future.

Dec 09, 2019, 02:02 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Visiting is currently out of the question
Sounds reasonable

But at least 2 of them travelled 100 miles to do so, which for us literally is halfway the country (mind, countRy, not county or even state )

Modifying the carb is a bit of a trick, not really hard, but after you do 2 or 3, it becomes easy. With the valve in the equation, it also becomes obsolete
Dec 09, 2019, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Claiming a stake on my valve (I'll gladly pay)but I can see how it's cost effective too, which is the great part.

Dec 09, 2019, 05:53 PM
Still gassin' it.
Going gasoline, even in the US, is absolutely cost effective. It is allready cost effective here in Europe, and our glow fuel prices are fairly comparable to yours, but our gasoline is about 2 or 3 times more expensive.

I can literally buy a brand new OS fourstroke (or two chinese cheap ones) each year for what I save on not buying glow fuel. And that is fuel savings alone. If I include the transportation cost for buying glow fuel (170~180 km roundtrip each time) I can buy the accompanying plane as well. Gasoline I can buy at the corner of my street and I am passing at least 5 gasstations on my way to the clubfield....
Dec 09, 2019, 06:13 PM
Thread OP
I'm already sold. Let's make this happen.

PS. I have an os70fs-II I may also convert at some time.

Dec 09, 2019, 07:38 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:

PS. I have an os70fs-II I may also convert at some time.
no worries, I have 45 of these housings, there are currently 10 solenoids on order, and the drivers I still have 8 in stock (and more when I need them), and only 3 requests at the moment (not including you). So I can send you one, but in the same effort two if you wish me to.
The system works just as well on a .70 single as on a 1.20 twin
Dec 09, 2019, 07:51 PM
One of the worlds best hobbies
Not all that absolute;
All about choices. Methanol is $2.50/ gallon, delivered to my door. Worth every penny. I burn as much as I can. The monetary differential is too small to sway that preference .

I am one who did indeed run gassers yet returned to methanol fueled fun
The FG-20 was of course a gasser. The owner requested conversion to methanol. It runs very well on that fuel

It is about enjoyment. Be it fueled by gasoline, kerosene, methanol CO2, rubber bands, rising air currents or electron motion.

I can easily buy all of my fuel, a few planes and engines, pay AMA fees and club dues by not smoking tobacco or cannabis LOL

We can easily discuss the ideas techniques and findings without having to toss in proclamations of superiority of one over the other.
Whatever the choice, no single choice is "best" or more valid than the others.
Last edited by Gary Cee; Dec 10, 2019 at 06:07 AM.
Dec 09, 2019, 07:56 PM
Same Day Delivery
O M G! It's the same old bla, bla, bla, gasoline is superior to methonal because availability, cost, smell, etc, etc. Methonal runs cooler, with more power than gasoline, and has been used without CDI for decades, It Is a Suprememum Fuel, and easily obtainable in most of the U.S. if ones looks outside of hobby sources. Gasoline is for mowers and leaf lowers, not model planes! Of course, those that are in restricted political environments that prevent the purchase of methanol, may be forced to use gasoline due to lack of availability. But should not be touted as superior! Our toy engines may be fine pieces of engineering marvel, designed for methanol fuel........why change?

And for those with extra pocket change, add some nitro for that extra kick! Why?.......because We Can!
Last edited by mike3976; Dec 09, 2019 at 08:42 PM.
Dec 09, 2019, 08:36 PM
Entropy is happening!

Welcome back Bert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus
I would like to advise against that. Your DLE and RCGF have conrods with needle bearings. Too much oil is hard on those, and 20:1 is generally regarded as the fattest you can go.
I run my "big" engines (a couple of Zenoah 230's) on 40:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus

Roller bearings are a bit different, in that there is "open space" between the rollers, that might or might not get filled with oil. the approaching roller pushes the oil out of the way, but the passing roller draws in oil in its wake, so oil WILL enter those open spaces. IF too much oil is present in those open spaces, the rolling elements start to act a bit like steamrollers, trying to flatten that amount of oil, and in front of the roller a wedge of oil is created. The roller trying to compress this wedge of oil, results in relatively enourmous forces trying to push the outer shell of the bearing away from the rollers (because the rollers cannot move in the opposite direction, the shaft is in the way ). In caged roller bearings, this usually results first in cage faillure, after which the roller elements break their formationflight and the whole assembly fails due to that, in uncaged bearings usually a lot of erosion occurs resulting in "square" rolling elements and pitted races.

For low speeds, rollerbearings easily can run submerged or stuffed full of grease, but high speed applications, too much oil or grease results in (sometimes really quick) bearing faillure.......................
Its good to read more of your posts again.
I have a 40 cc Kioritz industrial engine converted to aero application, powering my 1/4 scale tug plane (Spacewalker).
It has roller bearings top and bottom of the crank. Very nicely engineered (with 3 piston rings).
During our recent festival, we flew it towing gliders and put about 4 litres of fuel through it.
The fuel mix was AvaGas and Stihl Ultra mixed @ 30:1.

Questions:

1. Is this mix too oil rich?
I have tried running it on the bench using both 40:1 and alternatively, 30: 1 AvGas and Stihl Ultra.
RPM figures were the same, or very nearly so - no distinguishable difference.

2. Do you recommend I use 40:1 instead?

I have two other roller bearing engine, a 25 cc Chinese two stroke in the process of conversion and a nice 30cc OPS MAXI converted to CDI/spark ignition.
Same recommendation for these?

Jim.
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Dec 09, 2019 at 09:46 PM.
Dec 09, 2019, 11:55 PM
Whats that drip ?
Hee Hee, the solenoid valve passes viscosity, which will be the oil first and foremost. The fuel comes along for the ride. Beside the fact, Burtus's boxer runs more stable than ASP ever thought. Its a clever idea how this fuel delivery duty cycle can compensate for broader environmental differences without having to re-tune the needles.
Last edited by ClubFlyer; Dec 10, 2019 at 12:02 AM.
Dec 10, 2019, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlyer
Hee Hee, the solenoid valve passes viscosity, which will be the oil first and foremost. The fuel comes along for the ride. Beside the fact, Burtus's boxer runs more stable than ASP ever thought. Its a clever idea how this fuel delivery duty cycle can compensate for broader environmental differences without having to re-tune the needles.
Question... does this modulator replace the HS needle or does it work in conjunction with and simply have the ability to lean the engine from where the HS needle is set?

Quick Reply