Dec 06, 2019, 09:15 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Converting a chuck glider to RC - FX707

I just wanted to share my experience of turning a foam toy glider into an RC slope weapon. Well, that's my plan, but we'll see how that goes.
So, I bought a toy foamie from Aliexpress, It's called a FX-707 hand launch glider. Basically a toy for kids. But, it seems to be made with RC in mind. All thre cutouts and channels are already there. So this is the start of my journey of turning this kids chuck glider into a light air weapon. We'll see how that goes. I've put a few pics below showing how it turned up.
Last edited by Jesus Nut; Dec 08, 2019 at 05:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2019, 09:17 AM
Thread OP
The metal balls in the front weighed in at 85 grams, which allows for a lot of RC gear
Dec 06, 2019, 09:19 AM
Thread OP
I was planning to use 2x9g and 2x5g servos. 5g for the aileron servos and 9g for ele/rud.
Though based on the size of the cutouts in the foam. it looks like they want me to use 3.7g servos all round.
Last edited by Jesus Nut; Dec 08, 2019 at 05:26 AM.
Dec 06, 2019, 09:20 AM
Thread OP
I may have to open up those servo pockets a bit.
Dec 06, 2019, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
Anyway. this is going to be ongoing. Post updates will be posted when I can be bothered and pics will be posted when I remember to take my phone downstairs to my mancave.
Dec 06, 2019, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
Looking at other FX707 conversions, it seems that mine is different. It is already good to go for RC.
Other foamies of this size need to have the fuse hacked out and servo pockets cut open. but this already has all that - albeit for tiny servos that I don't have but we'll see how we go.
I've discovered that mine is a FX-707S.
It's the "S" that makes all the difference.
Last edited by Jesus Nut; Dec 08, 2019 at 05:27 AM.
Dec 19, 2019, 07:29 AM
Thread OP
I've received a couple of 3.7g servos from Aliexpress. I'll put these in the wing with the 5g servos in the fuselage. Pic shows the 3.7g servo in the wing. I had to cut the tabs off to make it fit properly.
Dec 19, 2019, 07:39 AM
Thread OP
Here's my final servo layout - 5g for the fuselage and 3.7g for the wings.
Dec 19, 2019, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
Turns out that 3.7g servos aint 3.7g.

Shouldn't make a difference to my build, but still.... I wish they would post accurate figures for them. The extra gram is probably the power lead which the factory doesn't take into account when posting specs.
Last edited by Jesus Nut; Dec 19, 2019 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Additional info
Dec 19, 2019, 09:34 AM
J N
To be fair try weighing a 5 or 9 g servo!
Unless you think you are going to go at 100+ mph you don't really need any more than 3.7 g servos anywhere on a light weight 'foamy'.
Certainly interesting that they include all the RC cut outs in what is sold as a 'toy' chuck glider. They certainly didn't of the 'Lidl XL' chuck glider here in the UK but it converted to RC well enough.
Even with a motor & flight battery it ended up just 50 g more than the chuck glider out of the box.
Lidl glider conversion (2 min 10 sec)
Dec 23, 2019, 07:27 AM
Thread OP
Yes Quorneng, you are absolutely right with the servo sizes. Those little 3.7g servos do actually have a surprising amount of torque to them for their size. If I had 4 of them then I would use them all round. They easily have enough power to move their individual control surfaces. But, the rudder and elevator have to run through tubes, and I do believe that on a small and slow airframe like this, the internal friction from the pushrods inside the tubes can add as much load to the servo as the flight loads on the surfaces. This is another reason I have gone with the big, powerful 5g servos for the 2 rear surfaces.
Last edited by Jesus Nut; Dec 23, 2019 at 07:44 AM.
Dec 23, 2019, 07:36 AM
Thread OP
Something I haven't shown in all my close-up pics is what the whole thing looks like, so here it is - All $17 worth
Last edited by Jesus Nut; Dec 26, 2019 at 10:18 AM.
Dec 26, 2019, 04:19 AM
Registered Hoser
Chuck gliders are awesome for those days when you're bagged from work and just need to wind down. Here's what I have, an airhog Disney "jetplane" I found at a garage sale new in it's Bag. It flys really well on a little drone motor. 500 mah will keep it aloft for 15 minutes.
Dec 26, 2019, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
Cptn. Krunch - that looks awesome. Have you got 2 ducted fans in that bad boy? That will absolutely rip and probably scare you if you go full send. Although the flight envelope will be very narrow with a powered model like that - same as the full size.
Last edited by Jesus Nut; Dec 26, 2019 at 10:10 AM.
Dec 26, 2019, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
My build has stalled while I wait on some carbon flat section to be delivered. The Christmas holidays probably don't help with the delay. What I'm waiting on is some 4 mm x 1 mm x 500 mm flat carbon fibre section. This will form the main wing spar. There is already a slit in the wing just ready to take it.
I'm wondering about what glue to use to attach this spar. My first choice would be Gorilla Grip type polyurethane glue. This is the stuff that needs a bit of moisture to set it off and foams up as it sets. If anyone has an opinion on the type of glue to use then please chime in.

Quick Reply