Horizon Hobby E-flite Twin Otter 1.2m

Versatile and easy to fly, the E-flite Twin Otter 1.2m is an ideal first twin for intermediate to experienced pilots. Modeled after the STOL-capable bush plane, it features LED navigation and landing lights, flaps and includes optional-use floats.

Splash

THE PERFECT FIRST TWIN

From Horizon:

Versatile and easy to fly, the E-flite Twin Otter 1.2m is an ideal first twin for intermediate to experienced pilots. Modeled after the STOL-capable bush plane, it features LED navigation and landing lights, flaps and includes optional-use floats. The DHC-6 Twin Otter was developed by de Havilland Canada in 1965. Designed as a rugged STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) commuter aircraft, the Twin Otter carried passengers and cargo into harsh environments such as the sub-zero Antarctic and scorching North African desert. The line was shut down in 1988, after producing 844 aircraft. Viking Air Limited purchased the Type Certificates for all out-of-production de Havilland aircraft in 2005 and announced the Viking Series 400 Twin Otter Production Program two years later. By mid-2015 Viking delivered 75 new aircraft and re-established the Twin Otter as a successful commuter airliner — while nearly 500 of the original aircraft also remained in operation. The E-flite® Twin Otter 1.2m is a scale replica that makes the perfect first twin-powered model for intermediate to experienced RC pilots. It's versatile, easy to fly, and is outfitted with functional features that include LED navigation and landing lights, flaps, and optional-use floats.

For RC pilots who want a great first (or next) twin model, there's no better choice than the E-flite® Twin Otter 1.2m. It delivers exciting "bush plane" scale looks and performance along with the inherent stability of a high-wing design. The convenient size of the Twin Otter means you can transport it fully assembled for flying at a wide variety of locations with paved, grass or packed dirt surfaces, such as large parks, sports fields and RC flying fields. Your adventures won't stop there, though — remove the tricycle landing gear, install the provided floats, and now you're ready to fly off of large ponds and small lakes. Having two landing gear options included in the box only hints at this model's incredible value. Along with molded-in panel lines, corrugated control surfaces and a scale-inspired trim scheme, the E-flite Twin Otter comes with many functional features including operational flaps, LED navigation and landing lights, and props finished with black and white stripes that look awesome whether spinning or standing still. The Twin Otter 1.2m offers a truly unique flying experience that a wide range of pilots can enjoy.

Features:

• Scale replica of the STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) capable cargo and passenger carrying utility aircraft
  • Easy to take off, fly and land, making it a perfect choice for a first twin-powered model
  • Functional features including LED navigation and landing lights plus operational flaps
  • Scale details including molded-in panel lines, corrugated control surfaces and more
  • High-power brushless power systems with striped 3-blade counter-rotating props
  • A single 3S 2200–3200mAh battery delivers excellent power and long flight times
  • Spektrum™ AR636 6-channel receiver with industry-leading 2.4GHz DSMX® technology
  • Easy to fly with innovative and optional-use SAFE® Select flight envelope protection
  • The unmatched stability and locked-in feel of exclusive AS3X® technology
  • 5-Channel control with six (6) factory-installed servos and linkages
  • Tricycle landing gear with steerable nose wheel for easy ground handling
  • Includes matching optional-use floats with steerable rudder for flying from water
  • Conveniently sized so it can be flown at soccer fields, large parks and in other suitable areas
  • Easy to install/remove one-piece composite-reinforced wing with thumbscrew and snap-in struts
  • Magnetically-secured top hatch for quick and easy access to the battery compartment
  • Lightweight and extremely durable composite-reinforced EPO airframe
  • Extremely fast and easy final assembly

Check out the E-flite Twin Otter Here

Dec 06, 2019, 03:27 PM
Love the size!
With a bit of Tetris, this easily fits into my trunk.
Great value with floats, too!
After the Timber, this might just be my second Eflite foamy in 3 years.
Dec 06, 2019, 04:37 PM
DFS#000178
Pre-ordered mine already. It's going to look great with my Hangar 9 and my VMAR!
Dec 06, 2019, 04:57 PM
Electric Coolhunter
I have one on order.

This makes me want to go back and finish an old project I started years ago after I started flying the H9 Twin Otter: a molded Depron 1s uMX Twin Otter powered by the motors and drives of the old uMX Mosquito. I have the molds for the fuse and the engine nacelles and some test pulls of them in 3mm Depron.....

Family of Twotters time!

However, I would be glad to keep that project parked if HH would just release a uMX Twin Otter....
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Dec 06, 2019, 06:49 PM
IWC
IWC
UMX Twin is a good idea!
Dec 06, 2019, 07:17 PM
DFS#000178
If you're after a UMX-sized Twotter, the Estes ones still show up on eBay every now and then.

They're not perfect scale and they were designed for differential thrust, but they're small and they look the part and could easily be converted. I actually flew one for years on RET with the stock motors.
Dec 06, 2019, 08:45 PM
ultra cheap pilot
A foamy twin otter! I'm stocked!
Dec 06, 2019, 08:46 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
Dec 06, 2019, 11:55 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
If you're after a UMX-sized Twotter, the Estes ones still show up on eBay every now and then.

They're not perfect scale and they were designed for differential thrust, but they're small and they look the part and could easily be converted. I actually flew one for years on RET with the stock motors.
Never really liked the looks of the Estes one. I will stick with my project, unless HH makes it no longer needed by releasing one.

I also have one of the (less than perfect but not terrible) smaller KMP 65” span ARF kits of the Twin Otter.

Glad that HH released this one for sure. A nice size!
Last edited by Thomas B; Dec 07, 2019 at 12:08 AM.
Dec 07, 2019, 05:36 AM
Another interesting looking plane, but once again typical rip-off UK prices:

USA Price: $229 USD
UK Price: $355 USD

Its not as if they even have good customer service for UK customers anymore.
Dec 07, 2019, 07:47 AM
$230 isn’t bad. I guessed $279.99 while viewing the video. I definitely would have guessed floats were extra. I am interested. As usual, I would love a 70”” to 90” wingspan version.
Dec 07, 2019, 03:58 PM
Got mine on pre order as well. Really excited for this plane. I think its a solid value at the price point for what it all comes with. Mine will likely get the floats right away as winter is upon us in Michigan and snow flying will be here soon. I've been doing some research and hope to design and 3D print some scale looking skis as well that attach to the tires. The real twin otter is no stranger to snow/ski flying so I think it would be fun to try.
Dec 07, 2019, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJI
Another interesting looking plane, but once again typical rip-off UK prices:

USA Price: $229 USD
UK Price: $355 USD

Its not as if they even have good customer service for UK customers anymore.
Why would you mind ... your previous posts indicated your utter dismay with HH and you will not do business with them anyway.
Dec 07, 2019, 10:40 PM
They call me Lipo...
Oh....My...Gawd !!!!

I've been SOOOO wanting one of these! I'm a SERIOUS DHC-6 Twin Otter fan....CAN'T WAIT !!!!
Dec 08, 2019, 01:29 AM
I think I'm onboard.

Quick Reply