Dec 05, 2019, 08:40 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

SIG Kadet Senior

Not sure if this Claude McCullough classifies as vintage... I think SIG came out with the kit around 1986... I did build and fly two and regret having sold both so I decided to build another one... pure nostalgia of course. These Sig kits are very good quality and the picture manual must be very helpful for beginners. One thing I can not find on any plans by any manufacturer with this kind of structure is to use halved toothpick sticks to make a song connection ? Been using this system for years and it does make a fuselage much stronger. I do have an original Williams Bros 3-3/4 main wheel set but am in search of a similar front wheel of 3-1/4 size (balloon wheels) but of course I will take a complete two wheel set so if anyone does have this for sale so please do let me know. I could use the much lighter Kavan wheels but I do like the Williams shape. I am hesitating on two things : add ailerons or not and change the rubber band wing fixation to nylon bolts. And no, I am not making a tail dragger which is what they have done with the RTF version. I do prefer the original 3 wheel set up.
Last edited by Reginald; Jan 02, 2020 at 11:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2019, 10:36 AM
I still have my Kadet Senior, but I need to recover it before I can fly it again.
Latest blog entry: yes I still fly airplanes too
Dec 05, 2019, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Mine will be covered with red see-trough Oracover film and black like the original... my first one was covered in silk. Oracover is great stuff. Been using it for years. I noticed that Williams Bros. still do have a website... wonder if they will sell to Europe. I do need that front wheel Earl lol
Dec 05, 2019, 06:53 PM
What beautiful work! Thanks for posting.

I covered mine with Koverall and powered it with a Saito 45. It was a fun and easy build and it is a delight to fly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-i7...ew?usp=sharing

Piper Joe’s build log inspired me to buy a wing kit from Sig with the intention of adding ailerons…someday.
Dec 05, 2019, 08:00 PM
I had mine covered with transparent red on the fuselage, and transparent yellow on the wing and tail. I thought it looked pretty neat where you could see the wood on the inside.
Dec 06, 2019, 03:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
I had mine covered with transparent red on the fuselage, and transparent yellow on the wing and tail. I thought it looked pretty neat where you could see the wood on the inside.
That's right Earl... but it does involve building very precisely as all mistakes will show up. Here are my Record Breakers. Nobody's got a Williams 3-1/4 balloon wheel then ?
Dec 07, 2019, 09:16 AM
I would never mention any of my mistakes on the inside. People never noticed the mistakes either, unless you told them about it.
Dec 07, 2019, 01:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
i would never mention any of my mistakes on the inside. People never noticed the mistakes either, unless you told them about it.
lol
Dec 07, 2019, 02:24 PM
I like your open rocker .60 . I Have one but have yet to put it on a model.

I am currently have a Senior on the bench and am working on too. I started the left wing and am doing ailerons and flaps . I will post it balsa builders soon.

Keep up your fine work.
Dec 08, 2019, 06:30 PM
Kadet Seniors are excellent fliers if you like slow and easy. I have seen one (or more?) fly just fine with a .40 sized 2 stroke. One of my flying students had one. I'm not great with engines, but when the engine stopped I was able to keep it in a thermal for several minutes. Or, at least, that's how I remember it.

It's funny to see someone drive up in a Volkswagen Rabbit with a Kadet Senior wing inside. If you're on the right side of the car, you don't see much of the driver.
Dec 09, 2019, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
I do add pics from time to time... I will also add full navigation lights... the Mpx set is very good, do have one in one of my Twin-Stars, very bright
Dec 10, 2019, 04:18 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
I am flying one, it was an ARF. Big motor running on 4S5000. Plenty of power and will do sports pattern with no problem. And will slow down to walking speed to land. Bought at an estate sale, no landing gears/wheels or side windows for $50.00! Love the plane! I have two Kadet Senior kits for spare!

Brian, an EAJ
Dec 14, 2019, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
Still hesitating about adding ailerons or not...
Dec 14, 2019, 12:44 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Mine has aileron , but it will turn fine with rudder. If you want to roll it, aileron would be better! I would build the aileron with it!

Brian, an EAJ
Dec 14, 2019, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
Mine has aileron , but it will turn fine with rudder. If you want to roll it, aileron would be better! I would build the aileron with it!

Brian, an EAJ
Yes... that's what my flying friends tell me, well, some do, others say just leave as is... but I guess that I will have to halve that original 9° V shape of the wing if incorporating ailerons... not much to be found here on rc-groups on the subject, size for example... but it's an easy job to convert
Last edited by Reginald; Dec 15, 2019 at 03:42 AM.

Quick Reply