This thread is privately moderated by bnrusso, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 05, 2019, 01:55 AM
lovin' early retired in 2000
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Update Jumper T16 to the latest REAL OpenTX

UPDATING from 2.3.2 or older to the real OTX 2.3.3 or newer
BRUNO N. RUSSO JR.·WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2019
FYI: I know 2.3.2 says Open-TX but it is a test release from Jumper.
That's why there is no T16 in Companion before 2.3.3 RC1

pre req.:

Download and install https://quadmeup.com/stm32-virtualco...r-for-windows/
select "ready for download".
download and install https://impulserc.com/pages/downloads

Firmware updating to latest OTX and latest MPM
1. go to http://www.open-tx.org/ and select the latest NEWS for the version you will use.
2. near the bottom of the new page SELECT, download, save and install COMPANION and start it.
3. when you run companion, connect your T16 in bootloader mode (L&R trims IN while pressing power) check or install radio profile and settings, tab2. Application.., releases stable. Tab1. TYPE Jumper T16, AETR is recommended for default ***, mode ? (2 for me), select internal and lua and Flex for me.
4. select the download icon and “check for updates”. Download the bin file then change name to OR... for Official Release. Also download the latest SD card contents. (USE the latest zip file.)
5. Extract all (I used DOWNLOAD folder), open the SD card folder, for faster writing, open sounds and delete all but native language, “ENglish” for me, and back out to directories.
6. Open drive letter for t16 SD that shows all the folders starting with FIRMWARE, (mine is E:, put them side by side and drag and drop from unzipped SD folder to E: with overwrite all. This will keep your models but ONLY if you had nightlies and not Jumper TX models.
7. GO TO step 10 if you’re not updating MPM or you don’t have the latest MPM bootloader.

8. to add the latest MPM firmware check out : https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-...odule/releases
9. Download as required: use ....Opentx......-inv.bin for the EXTernal module and ....Opentx....-noinv.bin for the INTernal MPM.

10. now you may eject the 2 t16 drives
11. Unplug the USB and Power the T16 OFF and plug it back into the USB while OFF.
12. in companion select the icon WRITE FIRMWARE TO RADIO. Load the OR...bin file and "write to TX" after a few minutes, "flashing done"
13. disconnect, power UP, past "bad radio data, press any key"and calibrate if necessary
14. then check or set your radio setup default to AETR and your MODE of preference BEFORE creating a new model and then if you had to change default or mode delete model01 as it will have wrong channels.

to update the internal MPM if needed.
Go to SYStem FIRMWARE and select the correct MPM firmware and follow.

*** even those who use DSM transmitters that are TAER should still use AETR default as that is the default for the base firmware in the Multi Protocol Module. When you select DSM the firmware reroutes AETR from the radio to change it to TAER for the DSM compatible RX. EX: in the radio CH3 is throttle but it is plugged into CH1 on the DSM RX.

*Once you have the REAL OpenTX 2.3.3 or newer you can flash the above way or
also with the TX ON by writing the firmware to the radio, OR
dropping the firmware in the Firmware folder and when exiting from the computer connection just write firmware fro the T16.
*Always be sure the MPM and the T16 are using the same channel default.
*Always be sure the latest firmware matches the latest SD contents.
*Finally you change the splash screen by pointing companion to wherever you have placed the splash.bmp file of your choice BEFORE writing firmware to radio.
Last edited by bnrusso; Dec 30, 2019 at 08:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2019, 05:45 AM
Thank you so much. I have a question. I have an external module, should i click internalmulti in installer or not click?
Best regards.
Last edited by cancin; Dec 05, 2019 at 09:14 AM.
Dec 06, 2019, 01:55 AM
lovin' early retired in 2000
Thread OP
NO! Internal is only for internal.
If you are updating an external module with at least 1.2.1.51 use Flash Multi and the com port that shows up when you plug the MPM directly to the PC. Take it out of the radio to flash it.
I use windows 10.
Be sure to use the MPM opentx AETR -inv for external.
Once it goes through it will put the latest bootloader and then you can flash it right from the TX with Opentx2.3.3RC1
Dec 06, 2019, 06:28 AM
I solved problem. I chose release candidate testing, it fixed. Thanks.
Dec 06, 2019, 10:58 PM
Beach Bum

The Written Word

I just successfully uploaded 2.3.3RC1 to my Jumper T16, alomg with SDcard contents.

Thank you so much for the simplified line by line instructions. I dreaded doing it, but turned out to be easy by just following along. And I'm so happy to not have to use youtube to accomplish something!

Quick Reply