Jan 15, 2020, 08:47 PM
Thread OP
Just some holes now. Maybe paint tomorrow ?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2020, 06:25 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
If you can put a grate on there, make it easy to remove and always bring hemostats to the lake to pull $%#@* from the pump. I recently picked up a sea shell that wedged into the inlet No idea how it was floating on the surface.

I am thinking you will have a large surplus of power so no worry on the losses with the intake grate.
Jan 17, 2020, 11:48 PM
Thread OP
If,and that is a big if, it should help the pump. In the real boats their called speed grates.

Going for paint Saturday. Tired of sanding.
Jan 18, 2020, 06:34 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Speed Grates or intake loaders are not necessary-you will have more power then you need-maybe just intake grates or rock grates for damage control, depending how you use the boat.
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Jan 18, 2020, 02:06 PM
Thread OP
Its gray.
Jan 19, 2020, 11:43 PM
Thread OP
A bit of a set back. The paint made something happen. Some areas shrunk ? Big time.
Will need to do some repair before I can pull a mold.
Sad.
Jan 20, 2020, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1078
The paint made something happen. Some areas shrunk ? Big time.
Iím making a hull mold using similar methods. Iím not far behind where you are at. How do I avoid shrinking? Was the shrinking from solvent in the paint reacting with the foam? I have a lot of time spent sanding and donít want to start over.
Jan 20, 2020, 01:14 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Don't spray with lacquer or enamel-if you absolutely must, spray VERY light coats..the solvent/fumes will eat the foam.
I brush on rustoleum-FROM THE CAN, NOT SPRAY. It wont eat even unprotected foam. then wet sand wax and buff-it doesn't have to be glass smooth-you take care of that on the finished product..you'll probably want to do some bodywork on the final cast F/G hull anyway.

If budget permits, I suggest using one of the silicone mold making compounds on the market-even if its only a brush on 1/4 inch layer supported by subsequent layers of GRP.

Or go cheap and use plaster for the mold-all will not hurt the underlying foam..
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Jan 21, 2020 at 08:11 AM.
Jan 22, 2020, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
Don't spray with lacquer or enamel-if you absolutely must, spray VERY light coats..the solvent/fumes will eat the foam.
I brush on rustoleum-FROM THE CAN, NOT SPRAY. It wont eat even unprotected foam. then wet sand wax and buff-it doesn't have to be glass smooth-you take care of that on the finished product..you'll probably want to do some bodywork on the final cast F/G hull anyway.

If budget permits, I suggest using one of the silicone mold making compounds on the market-even if its only a brush on 1/4 inch layer supported by subsequent layers of GRP.

Or go cheap and use plaster for the mold-all will not hurt the underlying foam..
I second that on the silicone parting layer, it's brilliant for removal later. Still need to give it a reinforcement of course, There are cheaper trowel-on polyurethane coatings used for the same purpose.
Here's an example of a polyurethane rubber you can use for the parting layer:
https://www.barnesnz.co.nz/polyureth...elastomer-1360
And then you can hard-shell it with epoxy or polyester bound fibre layers.
Jan 23, 2020, 09:22 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the ideas.

Funny part is it only happened to one side ?
But repairs being made.
Feb 10, 2020, 11:30 PM
Thread OP
Repair is done. Now on to mold building.
Loaded into the van and going to the shop for molding.
Oh, had to re do a bathroom , my Wife said,this project could just weight.
Feb 13, 2020, 08:51 PM
Thread OP
Back at it. Today I got the release agent on and then on to Tooling gel-coat.
Then 2 hours of putting 1 1/2 oz. of glass on to lock up the tooling gel-coat..
Friday will bring all the heavy glassing and some reinforcement.

What a pain. But its done. Now I can use the slower hardener for more work time.
Feb 13, 2020, 10:03 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Very, Very Nice ! Did you have a chopper gun or did you just dust the chopped glass on the gel- coat?
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Feb 13, 2020, 11:16 PM
Thread OP
All by hand. Big pain !

Wish I had a wet gun !

Thanks.
Last edited by M1078; Feb 13, 2020 at 11:26 PM.
Feb 15, 2020, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Almost a mold.

Will pull the plug Sunday AM ! Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply