Dec 14, 2019, 03:02 PM
DFS#000178
Woot. Okay, so..

First glance, everything looks great. Foam finish looks really good. It's a little on the soft side but that's fine. Everything's packaged really well, box is surprisingly big but I guess that's what you get when you have a 1 piece wing.

Speaking of the wing, here's the bottom of the wing if anyone was curious about ESC access or anything of that sort. Also, notice the prop adapters. They're color-coded. That's pretty cool.

And the battery bay. It's pretty big. Should have tons of room in there.

Magnet on the battery hatch is good and strong but not so strong that it's a struggle to get the canopy off. Looks like if someone wants to use long, wide packs they may end up cutting out those two foam blocks back there.

I'll get it assembled tonight and hopefully maidened tomorrow.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2019, 03:16 PM
All aboard Flight 666
Very nice and congrats. I look forward to hearing your and other's reports since this plane is on my radar.
Dec 14, 2019, 06:00 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the report. Looking forward to your flight report. I just got notification that mine was delivered in Palm Springs! Only 17 days until I actually get to put my hands on it. Could you measure the box dimensions please. As we are driving to Cali I have to make sure we have room to bring it back with us when we leave! Thanks

=Rampage;43374427]Woot. Okay, so..

First glance, everything looks great. Foam finish looks really good. It's a little on the soft side but that's fine. Everything's packaged really well, box is surprisingly big but I guess that's what you get when you have a 1 piece wing.

Speaking of the wing, here's the bottom of the wing if anyone was curious about ESC access or anything of that sort. Also, notice the prop adapters. They're color-coded. That's pretty cool.

Magnet on the battery hatch is good and strong but not so strong that it's a struggle to get the canopy off. Looks like if someone wants to use long, wide packs they may end up cutting out those two foam blocks back there.

I'll get it assembled tonight and hopefully maidened tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Dec 14, 2019, 06:21 PM

eflite twin otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Woot. Okay, so..

I'll get it assembled tonight and hopefully maidened tomorrow.
Hi: Mine is on the way and will be here next Thursday. Can you tell me the
length of the battery compartment. i want to order a bigger lipo other then 2200mah.Was looking at a motionrc 3700mah 3s. thanks nick
Dec 14, 2019, 07:15 PM
They call me Lipo...

STOL will happen...

And roger...
Dec 14, 2019, 08:23 PM
You western US guys get an early Christmas! Mine has started its cross country from CA to PA with ETA of next Thursday. I'm thinking the crew is helping themselves to a few long overnighters.
Dec 14, 2019, 08:43 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane
Excellent! Thanks for the report. Looking forward to your flight report. I just got notification that mine was delivered in Palm Springs! Only 17 days until I actually get to put my hands on it. Could you measure the box dimensions please. As we are driving to Cali I have to make sure we have room to bring it back with us when we leave! Thanks
Box is 50"x14"x9". It's a pretty big box.
Dec 14, 2019, 09:07 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick7542
Hi: Mine is on the way and will be here next Thursday. Can you tell me the
length of the battery compartment. i want to order a bigger lipo other then 2200mah.Was looking at a motionrc 3700mah 3s. thanks nick
Battery bay, if you don't cut out the foam at the back, is 5" long, 3" wide, a little under 2" tall at it's highest.
Dec 14, 2019, 09:34 PM
DFS#000178
Couple of small issues.

1) By default, the LEDs are plugged into channel 6. They should be plugged into channel 5.

2) Check the screws holding the servos in the fuselage down. The default screws are very short and don't bite into the wood servo tray very well. My elevator servo was loose out of the box. Longer servos mounting screws will be needed.
Dec 14, 2019, 10:27 PM
DFS#000178
Got her all put together. A few more notes.

1) The elevator and rudder servos seem to be struggling to push the elevator and rudder to the extremes of their throw. I couldn't get 15mm out of the rudder or the elevator and could barely get 10mm out of the rudder on the Pull stroke. Same for the elevator. I don't think it's going to need that much throw though.

2) Pay close attention to the manual. It shows 3mm down elevator for level flight.

3) I got the CG right on with the battery I intend on using*. The CG appears to be right at the start of the plastic wire covers on the bottom of the wing.

4) The nuts on the prop adapters are directional.

5) The props seem to be very well balanced out of the box. I didn't do anything with them and they spin up super smooth. Zero vibration at all.

*I'm using Zippy Compact 25c 2700MAh packs. They are exactly the same size as the battery bay length-wise and fit snugly.

Maiden in the morning if the weather's cooperating.
Dec 14, 2019, 10:39 PM
DFS#000178
Looking closer, I noticed something with the elevator.

The plastic bracket that ties the left and right sides of the elevator halves together interferes with the vertical stab, thus limiting throw and essentially stalling out the servo.

You can see the paint transfer where the plastic bracket was colliding with the foam.

I took a long drill bit and dimpled the foam above and below the plastic bracket on the V-stab and now the elevator reaches full throw smoothly.

I also took the opportunity to flex the rudder back and forth a few dozen times to 'break in' the foam hinge a bit. It was very stiff.

Another issue:

My AS3X appears to do nothing.

It does the dance on power-up and even after throttling up and back down when I move the plane on any axis there's no response from the control surfaces to counteract the movement like in any other AS3X-equipped model. Every 10 seconds or so however you can hear the servos "twitch" a little bit. There's no visible movement but you can hear the servos engage for a fraction of a second.

Looking into this.
Dec 14, 2019, 11:21 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Got her all put together. A few more notes.

1) The elevator and rudder servos seem to be struggling to push the elevator and rudder to the extremes of their throw. I couldn't get 15mm out of the rudder or the elevator and could barely get 10mm out of the rudder on the Pull stroke. Same for the elevator. I don't think it's going to need that much throw though.

2) Pay close attention to the manual. It shows 3mm down elevator for level flight.

3) I got the CG right on with the battery I intend on using*. The CG appears to be right at the start of the plastic wire covers on the bottom of the wing.

4) The nuts on the prop adapters are directional.

5) The props seem to be very well balanced out of the box. I didn't do anything with them and they spin up super smooth. Zero vibration at all.

*I'm using Zippy Compact 25c 2700MAh packs. They are exactly the same size as the battery bay length-wise and fit snugly.

Maiden in the morning if the weather's cooperating.
Thanks for all the info, Good to know for others whos getting them, I am going to wait a while, i sold one plane but really need to sell a couple more before i buy anything else.
Dec 14, 2019, 11:28 PM
DFS#000178
And she's ready to fly.

Here's the battery bay with that 3s 2700 in it. Perfect fit. I don't even think I'm going to need to use velcro because there's nowhere for the battery to move.

I fixed the AS3X issue I was experiencing by just rebooting the RX. The AS3X is working now.

I also used a traditional nylon wing bolt instead of the thumb screw because it looked better. I'm also going to paint the control horn backing plates on the flaps.
Dec 15, 2019, 06:00 PM
Shipped Saturday, arrival Monday
Dec 15, 2019, 06:03 PM
Very nice they even left off all their AS3X and Horizon decals.

Quick Reply