This thread is privately moderated by bayou_city_boy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 03, 2019, 06:52 PM
Bayou_City_Boy
Thread OP
Discussion

Recovery Update

It's been over 2 years now since the Harvey flood destroyed our home. Several have asked how we are doing and if we have recovered.

We have been blessed beyond our expectations!

Everything we lost has been restored several times over. Even the oak trees! We lost 2 live oak trees my wife loved. We now have 15 oak trees and 5 nice pecan trees.!

We spent seven months in a hotel and actually survived each other! Lol

Out insurance company came thru and did not give us a bit of problem on our claim.

Everybody around us had problems with their claims. The insurance adjuster came in, looked around, got us a small check to get us going, And within 4 weeks of the inspection we had the final check.

They actually paid for all my lost airplanes and radio gear too!

But we decided not to remodel a second time. We sold the house to an investor.

As many know we were flooded the year before in 2016. We had just completed the remodel when the Harvey flood came.

While in the hotel we looked around in different areas to find a place to settle down. We looked out in Brenham. We looked up in Tomball and Magnolia. We went up to Tyler Texas.

I even found a nice home on Palestine Lake with a hangar and a runway for a full-scale airplane! But it was $750,000!!!

We didn't get THAT much from the insurance!

We settled on a small 2 bedroom brick home up and Livingston across the road from a small lake. So we have a lake view out of our front living room and family room windows. But without the cost of active living on the lake.

A plus was that a small 5-acre farm came with this home. The farm is directly behind the home. The previous owners had a couple of horses. So there's already a barn and fencing as well as a small workshop and a small one-bedroom cottage with two loft bedrooms.

There is even a small observatory I plan on getting set up next Spring. Many other priorities come first tho.

And there's a 10 by 20 insulated and wired building that I'm using as my hobby shack.

We purchased some cattle, chickens and planted a large vegitable garden.

We also planted 75 fruit trees for a small famly orchard. Peaches, plumbs, blue berries, oranges, lemons, limes, avacodos and grapefruit. We even planted several olive trees. We just picked up 3 pear trees we need to plant.

We received a great many donations from RCG members to help the Boy Scouts. We raised $1000 to donate to the troop. As well as some planes and radios.

Several guys donated a few planes and a couple of good radios to me so I could have something to fly. The funds we received for my lost airplane stuff we used to buy the farm so this was greatly appreciated.

Extra items were sold and we raised funds to donate to the youth at church. And we were able to donate $500 to a family in Porto Rico after the storm there. They lost their roof.

So ... long story just to say ... we are doing great!

And we are still donating 10% of what I sell to the youth.

But boy is working a farm hard work!!! Even a small one. Lol. And I have lots of work to go. So if any of you guys want to come and visit ... Lol!

I realize many folks don't believe in God.

Many say "Oh that's just a coincidence." And I will agree that if it happens once it could just be coincidence. I'll go as far as to say if it happens two or three times it could still be coincidence.

But when it happens all the time, it's no longer coincidence. It's happening all the time for us.

I thank God for all the blessings He has brought to my wife and I as well as the friends that we made not just here at RCG others who came to volunteer and help us recover after the storm.

Last edited by bayou_city_boy; Dec 19, 2019 at 10:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2019, 06:59 PM
Jesus Freak
fellow biomed here, glad you bounced back and kept your focus on God.

and thanks for this post
Dec 03, 2019, 07:51 PM
Bayou_City_Boy
Thread OP
Thanks!
Latest blog entry: Recovery Update
Dec 12, 2019, 01:31 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
The Lord helps those that help themselves. Keep the Faith.
Apr 30, 2020, 12:17 PM
So where are flying now days?

Quick Reply