Dec 27, 2019, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
You're right, Brett. The finish was harder this morning.

CD
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2019, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
Pretty much done painting; Rustoleum camouflage khaki and silver Krylon.

I still need to do hinge the ailerons, add the rigging (fishing line and elastic thread), the markings (planned to be flat black Super Monokote ironed onto the paint), finish the pilot, and add the machine gun.

At this point, with all servos and a battery pack, the E-III comes out at just about 30 oz. (32 oz. was the design weight). It's not going to be a rocket, but neither was the full-scale Eindecker.

Anyway, I wish you all a Happy and Blessed New Year!

CD
Dec 30, 2019, 10:47 PM
treefinder
Looks great, man! Ya need a 3d printed LeRhone in there tho. . . . . fill up all that empty space around the motor!

oops, my bad, it was an Oberursel U.0 which was a copy of a gnome.
Dec 31, 2019, 01:06 AM
Foam is where the heart is
looks great
Don't forget the interrupter gear
Jan 01, 2020, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
From what I've read, if a captured Gnome was available, the Germans would swap it out for an Oberursel, so, no problem with that. Besides, this isn't that scale a model (with a Doxie as a pilot, how could it be? Everyone knows Dachshunds can't fly, only Beagles can .)

I'm a bit of a computer geek, but I really don't want to get into 3D printing. So, I'm ginning up a foam engine from half-cylinders and a black back plate. Hopefully, it'll be ready in a few days (have to un-decorate from Christmas, this weekend).

I don't think I need an interrupter gear. It's a foam machine gun, so the bullets would also be foam -- they'd bounce off that APC prop .

Happy New Year, all!

CD
Jan 02, 2020, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
I've come up with a dummy engine from 1/4" foam and a few bits of doweling. It'll go in front of and around the motor, hopefully allowing enough airflow for cooling the motor, ESC, etc.

As to the pilot, I've made him a profile pilot (with added ears), also from 1/4" sheet foam.

All the painting on these parts were done with Wal-Mart/Apple Barrel craft acrylics (except Dieter's black nose and eyes -- those were done with a Sharpie).

Last family get-together of the holidays is tonight; tomorrow it's time to take down the tree, etc. Then I can get back to the Eindecker!

CD
Jan 03, 2020, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
After un-decorating from Christmas, I finished the rigging (Spyderwire), markings, etc. All I need to do is print the ID sticker with AMA & FAA registrations.

Balance is almost perfect with a 3S1500 lipo installed. RTF weight is 30.125 oz, giving about a 10.9 oz/ft. sq. wing loading.

Just need a day with light winds and not too cold a temp for the maiden!

CD
Jan 04, 2020, 08:44 PM
treefinder
Your rotary looks great, and the wheel chock tip is worthy of the "free or cheap" thread.

I have had this discussion with Lockey already, but figure I'll bring it up again. Since the "engine" is a rotary, it would be a hoot to fix it to the electric motor so it could do it's rotary thing! I suppose it would only work if one had a slow turning (relatively) setup. One of these days I must build the one sheet Neiuport 11 just to try it. Of note, Lockey opted to keep his rotary fixed. . .
Feb 22, 2020, 12:12 PM
Thread OP
Maiden flight was Monday, 17 Feb. The Eindecker proved to be a nice, gentle flier, capable of mild acrobatics (i.e., loops, rolls, spins, & stall turns). It does slow down quite a bit when the throttle is cut, so I had to make sure I kept on more than the usual power when landing.

CD
Feb 23, 2020, 07:57 AM
Build more, websurf less
Congratulations Captain.

Sounds like the new Eindecker will be fun to land. I have a plane that requires extra power during the final landing approach and flare. With the pitch and power just right it descends slowly until touchdown. I achieve that sweet spot maybe one out of ten landings but when I do it is very satisfying.

Please give my regards to Micki and the pups. And Dunsel.

Paul
Feb 23, 2020, 10:15 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, Paul, will do!

CD

Quick Reply