Twisted Hobbys ProXy FPV Plane Review

Is this the ultimate FPV Parkflyer? Check out our review below and find out.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 44" (1118mm)
Length: 37" (940mm)
Flying Weight: 13.5oz (384g)
Motor: ELAN 2205 2600KV
ESC: Crack Series 15A
Prop Size: DAL T5046 Prop
Battery: 3S 600-850
Price: $98.99
Available at: Twisted Hobbys

Twisted Hobbys brings us a new FPV airplane that is perfect for proximity or sport flying fun. It's a 44" wingspan EPP foam pusher and it will make drone pilots want to come over to the airplane side. It's supposed to be aerobatic and great for flying through gaps upright, inverted or even knife edge.

I was fortunate enough to get a kit sent out early and I couldn't wait to get started on the build and get this thing in the air. So without further ado, let's take a closer look a the kit and components used in the build.

Video

What's in the Box

The box arrived in perfect condition. It's a large flat box and the parts inside were nicely packed with no damage. The kit itself includes all the foam parts, carbon fiber and hardware needed. Electronics are sold separately. Since this was an early production model, the manual wasn't included at the time of the review, but one will be ready soon.

Other Items Included for Review

Twisted Hobbys supplied their recommended power system, servos, and FPV gear for this review. You can obviously use your own stuff, but these are a solid choice if you need to purchase electronics to outfit your ProXy.

Assembly

The ProXy is a kit so be ready to do some building. It's not crazy and it goes together easily. You could have it done in just a couple of nights. FoamTac is your best friend along with thin CA glue and kicker. This is my first Twisted Hobbys airplane and I can say they did an amazing job with the details to ensure the plane builds straight and strong. User cdee did a killer job documenting his build and posted it along with photos on the main ProXy discussion thread. I followed his steps and had no issues at all. I don't see how I could do a better job so I'll link to each of his build parts here so you can reference them for your own build.

Flying

The ProXy is the right size for park flying fun. I went with a simply setup, so no stabilizer, flight board or any autopilot functions. It's just me and the plane. I did some line of sight flying first to get familiar with the handling and then moved into FPV flying.

Take Offs

The wheels are nice and large and well suited for rough grass take offs. There's more than enough power to push it over the terrain and get it to flying speed in about a foot or so. On paved runways, it rolls out nicely with lots of steering control thanks to the pusher prop blowing air right at the tail. You will grind down the tail foam taking off and landing on paved surfaces so I'd suggest adding some sort of cover to protect that area. All you need is just a bit of throttle and you get into the air smoothly. The alternative is to blast the throttle to full and launch into the air like a rocket ship. Hand launches are a breeze too if that's your thing, but taking off from the wheels in FPV is what I enjoy the most.

Basics

I would consider this an intermediate plane. It's not very stable in that it doesn't self-correct to level like a beginner plane would. A flight board could come in handy if you need that. If you bank the wing, it stays there until you tell it to do something else. It feels similar to a pattern plane in that respect. The Unique X shape fuselage and V-tail design allow the plane to track straight and turns can be made with ailerons bank and yank style, rudder only, or a combo of both. You can be very precise with it if you want.

The speed range really impressed me too. It slows down to a crawl being so light and the handling stays under control. I even flew it inside a gym with no issues. At full throttle it makes a lot of prop noise and moves out nicely for descent top end speed.

Aerobatics

The ProXy is built for acro. It rolls decently fast at full rate, but not crazy fast. It holds knife edge easily with just a bit of coupling and inverted flight feels just as solid as upright. Snap rolls are not very tight due to the tail design. You can do point rolls, KE, inverted, rolling circles, harrier and hovers too with some effort. It's not really a 3D plane, but it is capable of some 3D maneuvers.

Landings

Just pull the power back and fly it to the ground. It doesn't get much easier. The foam wheels offer some suspension and they roll out nicely on touchdown. You can do wheel landings, touch n goes, one wheel landings and stall landings. With a breeze, you can slow it down to 0 ground speed and elevator it straight down or even backwards.

FPV

While the ProXy is a fun sport plane, it's really intended to be a FPV plane. It excels at FPV and I was really impressed with the Spotter V2 camera/Tx combo. I have it set for 100mW and could fly anywhere I wanted within our field boundaries. It handles great and I felt locked into it pretty much instantly. I took it easy on the first few flights, but quickly found myself doing rolls and flying inverted down the runway. The EPP foam is super tough and it gives you confidence to try things you wouldn't normally do. Low inverted passes through a race gate and knife edge through a gap in the trees kind of stuff. It's the ultimate FPV parkflyer in my opinion. It's well suited for small areas and tight spaces. You really don't want a large open field, take it where there is a lot of trees or obstacles so you can slow it down, do some acro and run through spaces like an A10 fighter pilot.

I loved that the ProXy has landing gear. It made taking off and landing with the goggles on both easy and a ton of fun. There's really nothing about flying the ProXy that I didn't enjoy, except for the flight time. 3 minutes on a 3S 850mAh lipo is all I get at mixed throttle. That's just not enough even with a lot of batteries, you are just getting in the groove when the timer tells you to land. I can see myself moving some gear around soon and running with 1600's - 2200's. I think the weight penalty will be worth it to try and get closer to 7-10 minutes of flight time. Other than that, man this thing is FUN!!!

Photos

Conclusion

For me, the ProXy is the ultimate FPV proximity parkflyer. The handling is locked in which gives you confidence to fly near obstacles and the durable EPP foam means you don't have to worry about the plane. It can take a hit and keep on going, just like a mini quad. I know for some people, airplanes just feel more natural to fly than drones. Now there is finally an airplane that gives you that same feeling of freedom and that you can fly anywhere and do anything you would do with a drone. I really think this could bring over some drone guys to trying out airplanes. This is my first Twisted Hobbys plane and if their other offerings are this nice, it won't be my last.

Check out the ProXy 44 FPV webpage here

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Dec 09, 2019, 12:02 PM
FREE VAPOR TRAILS
Looks good man, glad you liked it!
Dec 09, 2019, 12:27 PM
This looks like a ton of fun. Great article. Which are your favorite goggles?
Dec 09, 2019, 12:33 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailbonds
This looks like a ton of fun. Great article. Which are your favorite goggles?
Iím using the Spektrum Focal V2s, but I havenít tried any of the latest goggles.
Dec 09, 2019, 01:07 PM
FREE VAPOR TRAILS
My video made with the airplane:
proXy (2 min 50 sec)

I have a set of HDO2's that should be delivered soon, can't wait.
Dec 09, 2019, 01:07 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Nice, a real simple design with a V-tail and no head scratching for component placement.
Dec 09, 2019, 03:22 PM
Kremer Aerotow Team
Jason, did you get any DVR footage with it yet? Interested to see what kind of picture you get with that camera set up.
Dec 09, 2019, 04:17 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
No, I tried, but I only have a little monitor with a DVR and the battery died while I was out there.
Dec 09, 2019, 10:38 PM
What powers the camera?
Dec 09, 2019, 11:56 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I used the included XT60 adaptor that came with the camera. It splits off the 3s flight pack to power the cam/Tx. One battery does it all.
Dec 10, 2019, 06:41 PM
If it flies I like it.
cwojcik,

Smooth flying; good job. What camera did you use for the video?
Dec 10, 2019, 10:04 PM
FREE VAPOR TRAILS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotdogX
cwojcik,

Smooth flying; good job. What camera did you use for the video?
Thanks!

CaddX Turtle V2, color grading in DaVinci Resolve.
Dec 12, 2019, 10:41 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I'll be trying the ProXy out with the DJI FPV system in the near future. Excited to see how that experience will be!
Dec 16, 2019, 12:36 PM
Great flying and review Jason. We appreciate you taking the time in setting up a ProXy so you can really enjoy it!
Dec 16, 2019, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
I'll be trying the ProXy out with the DJI FPV system in the near future. Excited to see how that experience will be!
Iím thinking about doing the same. Iím going to wait for a the DJI compatible caddx vista though. I asked caddx and they said release the end of this month. Will be so cool to have a smaller, lighter option.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3118

Quick Reply