Dec 02, 2019, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Star Squared

Well I will be adding a second build log for the the Star

A friend and I are building two at the same time in the same shop
Should be interesting as he's building for speed and lightness and I'm looking at more of a combination of pretty and light..
a few pics so far
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2019, 11:23 PM

Im In

I'm In Marc.
interested in seeing your guy's
builds.

Mike

:
Dec 03, 2019, 07:38 AM
Thread OP
definitely a slow process... at the point in time thinking about a winches. RMG or some other option. Trying to figure out if an IOM RMG is strong enough. so I can take the old RMG out of my britpop, put it in the star and then put the new RMG in my IOM...
Dec 03, 2019, 12:12 PM
Classic wooden RC sailboater
Fun! I'm excited to watch your progress.

I'm also glad that the Star 45 seems to be getting more attention lately. It's a great boat that can compete reasonably well in a home-built version. It has some classic lines, is a nice, large size, and sails well. I hope that it continues to expand and has a big comeback.

Now if only some others would build some Star 45's in the Seattle area so I could get mine back on the water...
Dec 03, 2019, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsmith
definitely a slow process... at the point in time thinking about a winches. RMG or some other option. Trying to figure out if an IOM RMG is strong enough. so I can take the old RMG out of my britpop, put it in the star and then put the new RMG in my IOM...
You may find it hard to believe, but the EXI B1226 drum servo we all use in our club does the job and it's only $10.00
https://www.hobbypartz.com/12exiseb1.html
Dec 03, 2019, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
thanks fred, not sure i'm willing to add another servo to my inventory though. yeah I get it that I could buy a dozen with what Id spend on the rmg, but then I'd get a a shiny new RMG for my IOM..

was also looking at the s100nd as an option, but that brinsg in yet another "servo" to the family picnic

https://www.radiosailingshop.com.au/...oducts_id=1060
Dec 04, 2019, 10:55 PM
Quote:
I have used 280ís back to the first models in a star, plenty strong.
Dec 05, 2019, 12:19 AM
I am subscribed! I love your workshop too. Seems like you are pretty well obsessed with boats lol!

Fred, thanks for posting that servo, I may grab a couple to check out!
Dec 05, 2019, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
Stringers glued in

Ordering chines later today.
Dec 05, 2019, 07:54 AM
Quote:
thanks fred, not sure i'm willing to add another servo to my inventory though. yeah I get it that I could buy a dozen with what Id spend on the rmg, but then I'd get a a shiny new RMG for my IOM..

was also looking at the s100nd as an option, but that brinsg in yet another "servo" to the family picnic

https://www.radiosailingshop.com.au/...oducts_id=1060
https://www.readymaderc.com/products...hoCUO8QAvD_BwE
Dec 05, 2019, 08:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafsail
The price on radio sailing shop in is AUS dollars which makes it 148 USD. plus Andrew Cook is a fellow sailor, buying from those that support our hobby is important.
Dec 06, 2019, 07:11 AM
Scroll down to the bottom of the page, that ain't Aus location.
Dec 06, 2019, 09:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman
Scroll down to the bottom of the page, that ain't Aus location.
not sure what you are getting at... tig, but radiosailsaing shop IS Australian. the location that baron posted is from ohio or at least being shipped from ohio...
Dec 06, 2019, 02:26 PM
Quote:
not sure what you are getting at... tig, but radiosailsaing shop IS Australian. the location that baron posted is from ohio or at least being shipped from ohio...
Ya...My bad, Sorry BTW have you been watching the Star Worlds? Good stuff
Dec 06, 2019, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman
Ya...My bad, Sorry BTW have you been watching the Star Worlds? Good stuff
Which worlds, 2019 was in june, and the 2020 was moved to miami nov 2020.

Quick Reply