Dec 02, 2019, 03:46 AM
Thread OP
Help!

Alpina magic tailplane

Hello,

I am trying to rebuild an Multiplex Alpina Magic (I have an old fuse), and first I am collecting data in order to make that rebuild.

All I need now, is 3 values for the tailplane
- root length
- tip length
- left or right tailplane length.

Trying to draw it from original MPX sketches is not successful due to the small scale of them.
Tailplane is not the same as the Alpina CS one.

I am used to discuss on french and german forums, where I don't hésitate to answer and share, but nobody did accept to spend some time to measure that values for me (roughly, I don't ask for high précision measurement) :-(
Even on social network where I have a lot of 'friends', and I know some people have Magic's, nobody answers...

I am really desapointed about that, and I would be very happy if an owner ofsuch an MPX plane, on that forum would accept to measure those 3 values for me.

Thanks for advance to read, and I hope, to help.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2019, 12:15 PM
May the Wind Always be Good

Alpina Tail

This should be a help
Last edited by Mr. Kite; Dec 05, 2019 at 02:45 AM. Reason: add photo
Dec 02, 2019, 01:56 PM
High Lift Coefficient
I wish I could help as I built an Alpina Magic over a dozen years ago. No longer have it or the plans. For all the good folks sending measurement to help out, please make sure it's the Magic and not the standard Alpina.

All the best in your build.
Dec 02, 2019, 02:30 PM
Thread OP

Alpina Magic tailplane and rudder.

Oh yes, it really helps ! Thanks a lot!

Using that sketches, I'm now able to rebuild the glider
Dec 02, 2019, 02:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailhigh
I wish I could help as I built an Alpina Magic over a dozen years ago. No longer have it or the plans. For all the good folks sending measurement to help out, please make sure it's the Magic and not the standard Alpina.

All the best in your build.
Thanks for your answer.

I know those parts are not similar between CS and Magic.

But I said it in my question, and Kite's tailplane looks 40mm longer as CS (supposing I know the right CS values...).

That causes me to think it's Magic measurements, because I know Magic tailplane is longer than CS (due to the longer wings).
Dec 02, 2019, 03:47 PM
#'s off a New in the Box Classic Kit at lest it is a start ….Why dose every one have to So Right and yet they Do Not have the #'s..... They Must be on the Pelosi Team....
Dec 02, 2019, 04:00 PM
Thread OP

ALpina.

Thanks for your answer, Kite !

May be somebody will have the magic one too.

Regards.
Dec 02, 2019, 05:00 PM
A PM sent and Yes those were Good #'s
Dec 03, 2019, 04:33 AM
e coli fornia Resident

I have the stab dimensions

Dimensions in inches

Tip of Stab 3.250
Root of Stab 4.750
Length of Stab 14.187 right side
Pin holes on Root 1.563

I have instructions I could scan
Last edited by Rich Speroni; Dec 03, 2019 at 04:49 AM.
Dec 03, 2019, 08:37 AM
Thread OP

Magic stab

Thanks a lot Rich : with your measurements, and the picture, there is absolutely no doubt remaining between Magic and CS tailplane !

It's very kind of you to propose to scan the manual, but not necessary, because it is available in the download section of the Multiplex website.

My main question was the tailplane, and I am happy with that.
If you can provide some more data about the rudder, it could be nice too, even less important for the flight : there is some significant difference between Mr Kite height of the rudder (11"3/4 = 235mm), and the value I measure on same side of my fuselage, which is around 12.5" (316mm).

Gap is quite large between those 2 values (may be different versions of fuselages, they could have produced), and that's why I ask that additional question.
Dec 03, 2019, 02:10 PM
e coli fornia Resident
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizet
Thanks a lot Rich : with your measurements, and the picture, there is absolutely no doubt remaining between Magic and CS tailplane !

It's very kind of you to propose to scan the manual, but not necessary, because it is available in the download section of the Multiplex website.

My main question was the tailplane, and I am happy with that.
If you can provide some more data about the rudder, it could be nice too, even less important for the flight : there is some significant difference between Mr Kite height of the rudder (11"3/4 = 235mm), and the value I measure on same side of my fuselage, which is around 12.5" (316mm).

Gap is quite large between those 2 values (may be different versions of fuselages, they could have produced), and that's why I ask that additional question.
12.375 inches at root of rudder. Rudder has to fit inside fuse so your fuse measurement sounds right.
Dec 03, 2019, 04:39 PM
Thread OP

Alpina Magic tailplane & rudder

Thanks to you 3, who answered to me.

I am very happy to have the opportunity to (re)build a glider which will look as the original one, and to let it fly as it flew in the 90's.

It will probably take time before I achieve all that build, but I'll let you know what about !

Other people could also look for such a build, and find that post. For them, I attach below a wing sketch I already draw with help of some other people , and which seems to be quite accurate (sorry, in mm units ...).

My guess is that the maximum error compared to the original sketch should be always less than 4mm and often less.

That sketch can be used for both Alpina Magic and DG500 Elan ,which were sharing the same wings.

Thanks again, you folks make me very happy !

Regards.

Quick Reply