Dec 01, 2019, 11:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Tactic Going Out of Business?

I started flying last year with a Tactic TTX410 four channel transmitter and built a bunch of planes with Tactic's receivers. Now I want to step up a more sophisticated transmitter and looked to buy a Tactic TTX660 six-channel unit, only to find it is discontinued. In fact, the only transmitter available is the one I currently own. So, is this the death spiral for Tactic? Will I have to switch to a new system?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2019, 12:01 AM
Horizon inherited Tactic when they bought Hobbico and had no interest in continuing the Tactic line because it competes with Spectrum.
Dec 02, 2019, 12:03 AM
Just checked Tower's web site and the TTX660 is listed as "temporarily unavailable". The TTX610
is the one that is discontinued.
Dec 02, 2019, 12:13 AM
Just checked Horizon's web site and the TTX660 is listed as" no longer available". So who knows ?
It's a shame if they discontinue the line as there are a bunch of them out there and I've never heard a bad word about them.
Dec 02, 2019, 02:31 AM
They tried to market these to multirotor pilots but never released any single line receivers. If they had single line receivers out there from day one then they probably would have been a lot more successful and Hobbico might not have had to sell to Horizon in the first place. Keep in mind that the Tactic lineup beat the FrSky Taranis to market by about a year.

They had that market segment all to themselves for a year and sat on it then they never released any new products over the next 5 years.
Dec 02, 2019, 02:58 AM
most exalted one
Just a result of the Horizon takeover and move to consolidate, eliminate, profit.
Dec 02, 2019, 07:50 AM
Amain Hobbies lists the Tactic TTX-660 as on back order. Whether or not they are truly gone, I have no idea.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/tactic-...cj2660/p664460

My two Tactic TTX-650s are the radios I've used all of the time from the time they first appeared. Love 'em. Ken

http://www.theampeer.org
Dec 02, 2019, 08:58 AM
Tactic is the poor man's Futaba. The TTX-650 is a legendary radio

Thankfuklly the SLT protocol is still carried as an alternative in other radio brands.

Spektrum would catapult their systems if they add it too, but most likely wont in hope to just force Tactic owners to their radios. Those people will most likely move to Frsky.
Dec 02, 2019, 09:18 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_56
Tactic is the poor man's Futaba. The TTX-650 is a legendary radio
They're actually budget Graupner. Graupner SJ is the OEM for all Tactic stuff and the Tactic cases and programming logic all come from Graupner, mostly variants on the MZ-12 with less capability.

Quote:
Thankfuklly the SLT protocol is still carried as an alternative in other radio brands.
The only brand with official SLT support is even more dead than Tactic (that's Hitec). Jumper does have SLT support via the Multi-protocol module

Quote:
Spektrum would catapult their systems if they add it too, but most likely wont in hope to just force Tactic owners to their radios. Those people will most likely move to Frsky.
Spektrum would catapult themselves to where? They already own over 50% of the market and 80% or so of the new buyers. Tactic was an unsuccessful attempt by Hobbico to try and copy Spektrum's successful BnF model, and in terms of market share Tactic always was a rounding error.

I'd bet on most Tactic owners going either Spektrum, Graupner or FlySky. Spektrum gives the ubiquity, customer support & foamy support, Graupner the ergonomics and programming logic, FlySky the cost without complexity.

FrSky tends to appeal to a very different market than Tactic did.
Dec 02, 2019, 09:28 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
Just a result of the Horizon takeover and move to consolidate, eliminate, profit.
Tactic was on life support long before the Horizon takeover. The writing was on the wall when they killed the TTX850 and TTX650 and replaced both with the TTX660, along with the fact that they basically stopped developing receivers years ago, IIRC the TR625 was the last receiver they released.
Dec 02, 2019, 09:34 AM
Tactic does have some nice servos though, which we are maintaining. I've got the TSX25 in several planes (even before we owned the Tactic name).

Andy
Dec 02, 2019, 10:35 AM
Andy,

Does your statement, "which we are maintaining", indicate that the Tactic radio systems are indeed "dead"?

Thanks,
Ken
Dec 02, 2019, 10:46 AM
No, it means that we like the Tactic servos.

Don't read between the lines - there's nothing there but white space.

Andy
Dec 02, 2019, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
I'd bet on most Tactic owners going either Spektrum, Graupner or FlySky. Spektrum gives the ubiquity, customer support & foamy support, Graupner the ergonomics and programming logic, FlySky the cost without complexity.

FrSky tends to appeal to a very different market than Tactic did.
Which if those brands have the capability of accepting existing Tactic SLT receivers, and genuine 6-channel receivers for under $20?
Dec 02, 2019, 12:20 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_56
Which if those brands have the capability of accepting existing Tactic SLT receivers, and genuine 6-channel receivers for under $20?
For SLT compatibility? None. SLT is a dead end system now and only was ever supported by Tactic and Hitec. The only way to get SLT is if you have an old Anylink 2 module or whether or not you want to bet on how reliable the MPM compatibility is. I do not think the latter is a really safe bet (MPM support is reliable only on the most popular protocols that get well tested. SLT is an edge case and I would not rely on MPM support)

Genuine 6ch for under $20? FlySky FS-iA6B receivers are $15 or so and are true 6ch telemetry receivers with single-wire output support, a lot more capable than a TR625.

Quick Reply