Dec 01, 2019, 09:49 AM
Thread OP
Question

Hot wire foam fuse

Hi Guys,
last year I saw a different type of building foam planes. They cut the fuse out of blue foam with a hot wire and formers.
After that they glued the sections together.
Is there special name fir this typ of building?

Thank you!
Regards from germany.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2019, 11:28 AM
The Junk Man
You mean the sectioned foam fuselage technique?

Here is one I built a while back. Is that what you are referencing?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...en-Complete%29

Tom
Dec 01, 2019, 10:20 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
I am not aware of any special name for it in english. Generally if you refer to a hot wire, cutting and assembling segments is probably how you are going to build the plane.
Dec 02, 2019, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
Thank you.
The thread that T_om posted is not the exact that I'm looking for but everything I'm looking for is described.

May be you have a hint for me where I can find some plans to bild a first little airplane with this technic?
Dec 02, 2019, 07:32 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
I cant recommend any plane to start with for hot wire building. I tend to jump off the deep end, so my advice on a starter plane would not be the best.

I found a FliteTest Viggen Build Log had good information about hot wire building. It is the first plane I did that way. I had several do overs.

And with more details, a booklet on Building With Foam sold by ParkFlierPlastics includes good info on the techniques.
Dec 03, 2019, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the information with the booklet.

I found a CAD model of a BF 109 and played a little. Now I have a set of formes and will try to cut them.
If they are looking good I then put a wing under the fuselage. Maybe with a clark y Profile and 2° of washout.
What is the english term for the twist of the wing ?

Regards
Dec 03, 2019, 02:36 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic1512
Thank you for the information with the booklet.

I found a CAD model of a BF 109 and played a little. Now I have a set of formes and will try to cut them.
If they are looking good I then put a wing under the fuselage. Maybe with a clark y Profile and 2° of washout.
What is the english term for the twist of the wing ?

Regards
You said it, 'washout'.

Both mm and inch get used by many, though ounces/sq.ft is more often used over grams/sq,dm

Dec 05, 2019, 09:52 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
I'd suggest to start by making a simple combat wing type plane(Nurflügel), just to get the hang of cutting slab foam in assymetric shapes with a hotwire fairly accurately with the smallest investment possible.

Then, after that maybe try making a simple center fin fuse for said wing, to figure out making hollow shapes with cuts in more than one direction (Cutout to accommodate wing shape).

Once you have the cutter/supply setup built and have figured out viable solutions for making templates (or going CNC, if you should be so inclined. Templates are a lot simpler though, CNC can make up a complete hobby of its own....) and setting up the different types of cuts, your imagination and the general laws of physics will be pretty much be the limit. Oh, yeah, and the size of the door on your hobby cave, not to forget...
Dec 06, 2019, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic1512
Hi Guys,
last year I saw a different type of building foam planes. They cut the fuse out of blue foam with a hot wire and formers.
After that they glued the sections together.
Is there special name fir this typ of building?

Thank you!
Regards from germany.

You might want to take a look at this website

www.parkflyerplastics.com

I highly recommend his book, "Building With Foam" by Keith Sparks

Quick Reply