Dec 01, 2019, 07:00 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Build Log

Bubble Jet .. EDF Hybrid

"Bubble Jet" .. its a hybrid 3D printed fuselage with foam wings and tail assembly

1200 wing span with KFm airfoil and a 50mm FMS EDF https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...h=50mm+fms+edf

Weight .. around 700grams with a 2200/3s battery

Lockey

Files and print specs:

I use Cura 4.0.0 for my slicer and have fairly consistent results

My printer is a Original Prusa i3 MK3 using eSUN PLA + filament

Print Temperature I used 225c for PLA+ .. for best results print each part separately (even the little servo plugs)

I use layer hight 0.2 for everything .. except for the "small nose" I used 0.1 layer hight for a nicer finish

For all formers, nose and EDF mount ... 0.4 wall thickness, 2 wall line count, 3 bottom layers and 3 top players and 15% infill with no supports

For all fuselage parts 0.6 wall thickness in spiral (vase) mode ... no infill and no supports .. I use "skirt"

Fuz 1 .. 0 x bottom layers ................. 2.02 mins to print .. times are approx
Fuz 3 .. 0 x bottom layers ................. 1.40 mins
Fuz 2 T .. 3 x bottom layers .............. 1.45 mins
Fuz 2 B .. 3 x bottom layers .............. 2.58 mins
Fuz 4 .. 3 x bottom layers .................. 1.13 mins
Battery box .. 3 x bottom layers ........ 1.30 mins
EDF Nacelle .. 3 x bottom layers ....... 1.09 mins
Servo plug LH .. 3 x bottom layers ..... 0.5 mins
Servo plug RH .. 3 x bottom layers ..... 0.5 mins

Nacelle Mount .................................... 0.54 mins
Undercarriage Former ........................ 2.30 mins
Wing Formers .................................... 1.16 mins
Nose .................................................. . 1.15 mins

Lockey

Only one condition for the free patterns and files is that you post pics and details of your build here on this thread so we can all see how other guys are managing their builds and any problems they might encounter .. and any mods or ideas they might want to throw into the mix
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 06, 2019 at 10:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2019, 09:04 AM
Retired CAD guy
Tony has some innovative Fuse alignment and assembly techniques. IMHO

Can't wait for his video of this one.
Dec 01, 2019, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Tony has some innovative Fuse alignment and assembly techniques. IMHO

Can't wait for his video of this one.
Here's the video Bob, it was a bit too windy really but wanted to get it in the air .. build log tomorrow .. off to bed

Lockey

Bubble Jet EDF .. Maiden (4 min 6 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 01, 2019 at 10:22 AM.
Dec 01, 2019, 11:56 AM
Retired CAD guy
Yep ! as I write this it's 1am in Perth AU !

Anyway ... there ya go !
A nice slide on ground Takeoff and landing YEAH !
But, ummm ???
Either the Takeoff was downwind
or the Landing was downwind
Or the wind switched while your were flying !

I Couldn't see the flexing in the vid.
However,
Good throttle management will keep those wings from OVER flexing ;^}

I'll put a 6mm spar in mine cuz I have a LEAD THUMB !
Dec 01, 2019, 07:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Yep ! as I write this it's 1am in Perth AU !

Anyway ... there ya go !
A nice slide on ground Takeoff and landing YEAH !
But, ummm ???
Either the Takeoff was downwind
or the Landing was downwind
Or the wind switched while your were flying !

I Couldn't see the flexing in the vid.
However,
Good throttle management will keep those wings from OVER flexing ;^}

I'll put a 6mm spar in mine cuz I have a LEAD THUMB !
Bob, I actually went down the park to turn around and take off towards me (into wind) and it seemed like it wanted to lift off .. so I just let it .. and YES, I was down wind and it was probably around 15km and gusting to 20

Believe me Bob when I say the wings were flexing mate .. OMG, all I dared do was fly it as gentle as I could

Lockey
Dec 01, 2019, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
Here is the build

I print all my fuselage parts single wall (spiral mode) at 0.6 wall thickness with little or no internal infill except for the spar tube

After many hours of testing and trial and error, I have developed my own joining system with a 5mm carbon fiber spar running through the fuselage from front to back and the parts fit together really easy .. I use HK cheap CA glue and zapper to glue the parts together

Cheap and cheerfuller ... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...oz-medium.html

The front section of the fuselage slides off to access the battery/electrics box and is held in place with a couple of magnets, wing is held in place with a couple of small bolts

1200 wing span with KFm airfoil and I used a 50mm FMS EDF https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...h=50mm+fms+edf

Weight is a tad over 700grams with a 2200/3s battery

I have been doing a few mods and tweaks and have included a very small undercarriage, Bob (birdofplay) and I have been doing lots of test prints of the new parts .. thank so much Bob for all your help

I am sure bob will be doing some sort of kit for this one https://hoosiercutoutservice.com/planes/lockey.htm and I will be looking at doing the plans and STL files at my end https://www.lockeysrcplans.com

If anyone is interested in this one, please contact ether Bob or myself, or please feel free to post any comments or constructive criticisms .. we are still learning

When printing in "spiral mode" it needs at least a 45 degree wall to climb so thats why the wing hold down part is that shape .. so a bit of carving of the foam needed on the wing in the centre

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 07, 2019 at 08:47 PM.
Dec 01, 2019, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
I was asked how the EDF was held into the Nacelle

I simply nip off any mounting lugs on the EDF, wrap masking tape around the EDF and use hot glue and slide it into the nacelle .. this way when I want to reuse the EDF (when I've had a crash or don't want the model anymore) I simply break away whatever its in and I can remove the masking tape and I have a nice clean reusable EDF

By the way, I have designed nacelles for 50mm, 64mm and 70mm EDF's .. EDF nacelles have an inner and outer skin and are also printed in spiral mode with 0.6 wall thickness to keep things light

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 02, 2019 at 07:29 PM.
Dec 01, 2019, 09:31 PM
Retired CAD guy
Great start mate !

Keep up the good work !
Dec 01, 2019, 10:08 PM
Thread OP
Double post .. sorry

Here is a pic showing the small undercarriage

Oh ... and some of the test prints not sure why I got the Sh!tty brown colour, think it was for a WW1 plane I was looking at designing .. should be able to get one good set from that lot

Lockey

EDIT ... Thats right, I remember, it was the Bristol M1c WW1 monoplane .. must save some for this one
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 01, 2019 at 10:42 PM.
Dec 02, 2019, 09:17 AM
Retired CAD guy
I got some of that eSun in tan and brown for Dessert color AC,
But, I ended up using it for a couple of Owl statuary's .
They are guarding my Patio just now. ;>}
Last edited by birdofplay; Dec 02, 2019 at 02:15 PM.
Dec 02, 2019, 02:08 PM
Retired CAD guy
Things are coming along well.

I just hope the Tips are going to be bendable "after" I've laminated them.

I put a 6mm CF tube main spar in the wing and two 3mm sq CF pieces stacked in the rear spar location.

With no square nuts in imperial or metric in house,
I decided to use long, shiny , sheet meal screws for the wing hold down.

I gotta say the magnet placement was a bit fussy to install correctly, but allz well that ends well.

More as the plot thickens

Bob
Dec 02, 2019, 06:37 PM
Thread OP
Tiz looking great Bob, not sure about the "wing tip bending" after lamination ?? let me know how that goes,

I rolled mine before lamination and it seemed to hold the rolled shape, I glued the 2 pieces together up to the last few inches at the tip and then used a little pattern to hold the roll shape whilst I glued the tips .. with hot glue of course

Sorry mate should have set you the little pattern for this

I like the idea of using self tapping screws for holding down the wing, maybe same on the undercarriage

What glue do you use Bob for gluing in the spars ? .. I always used to use 5 min epoxy but its very slow and messy so I now use hot glue and find it works very well .. and quick I first run a couple of beads all the way down the slot, push in the CF tube and hold it flat with a metal ruler (or similar) and then run a bead down the top of the spar and wipe off excess with a piece of scrap foam .. I find this works

Looking at your pics, it looks more like a submarine than an airplane

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 02, 2019 at 07:31 PM.
Dec 02, 2019, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Hey Bob .. have you noticed .. I think there are only the two of us playing in this sand pit

I see less and less guys building or getting involved these days .. maybe "scratch building" is a dying art, we seem to be in a minority these days ..

With the cheap foamies that can be bought ready to fly, no one is interested in building any more .. its a real shame, but I guess this is the way of the world

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 02, 2019 at 07:18 PM.
Dec 02, 2019, 07:56 PM
Retired CAD guy
That's why Kit sales and scratch building has pretty much run It's Course !

I'll wager that all the "Building" is being done by either
1. old dinos like ourselves who are schooled and steeped in Crafting our own toys.
2. Or by aspiring modelers with low budgets.

The real low end stuff has been HOGGED by the likes of FT
who I am convinced are well funded shills of the HK empire.
Dec 02, 2019, 08:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:

The real low end stuff has been HOGGED by the likes of FT
who I am convinced are well funded shills of the HK empire.
I hear on the grape vine that HK are in trouble financially and thats why almost everything you want to buy is out of stock

By the way .. and a little off topic ... I pulled this one back onto the drawing board the other day for another look .. its a fairly complicated one that I have been working on for a few months (on and off) and still can't decide if I should build the fuselage in foam or 3D print .. as you can see, I am working on both ... I even printed the nose section

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 02, 2019 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply