This thread is privately moderated by Miami Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 30, 2019, 01:02 PM
Alt + 24 = ↑ & Alt + 25 = ↓
Thread OP
Announce

OpenTX ALES Group Launching System

Early in 2019 I won a Taranis Q X7 in a raffle at a club fun-fly. At first I thought I'd have no use for it because it doesn't have enough switches for my sailplane setups, but then I realized that an OpenTX radio can be useful for other applications beside controlling a model.

Presenting the OpenTX ALES Flight Group Launching System

Here's my OpenTX-based ALES Flight Group Launching System in action for the first time on November 22, 2019, during the ALES event at the Tangerine Soaring Contest, at Kennyworld, near Ocala, Florida. I directed the contest and also participated in it by starting the timer 5 minutes before each group launch and just letting it run.

The flight line was stretched all the way across the field with 12 landing tapes, but even at the far end pilots could clearly hear the countdown, starting horn, and Launch Window Expired sounds. The second megaphone was directed toward the pit area.

Parts:

Demo:

OpenTX ALES Group Launching System (2 min 13 sec)

If anyone is interested in building one of these systems then please post below and I'll work on assembling the details, such as:
  • The megaphone modifications that provide a sound input from the radio and a power input to use a 3S LiPo pack.
  • The model setup that triggers the timed voice announcements. (OpenTX 2.2 or 2.3 is required for the extra logical switches.)
  • The Lua telemetry script that generates the monitor screen.
  • The custom sound files created with TTSAutomate using TTS Provider = Google Text To Speech - Web and Voice = English (United States), en-US.
  • The PSV file containing the list of phrases for TTSAutomate, for those who want a different voice or language.
By the way, the megaphones retain their normal function, which means their microphones can still be used to make announcements.

to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2019, 01:03 PM
Alt + 24 = ↑ & Alt + 25 = ↓
Thread OP
Reserved.

Quick Reply