Nov 29, 2019, 09:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Which LiPo packs do you run?

I have been running Nano-tech packs from hobbyking and have had pretty good luck with them. I have a tattu pack that has been a big disappointment. Finally, I have two SMC packs and these are the reason for this post. I have not seen a negative forum post regarding these packs but I have been unimpressed.

I will admit that I lost one of these packs and I don't remember now what state of charge it was in when I found it (it fell behind a drawer in my tool box). But, the other SMC pack has been treated the same as my latest Nano-Tech 5.0 and they are about the same age.

I did an internal resistance check on all four packs and found the SMCs at 7/6 and 6/3. The nanos tested at 3/3 and 3/2.

I really wanted and continue to want to like the SMCs better but one of these packs were treated just like the others which now show a much lower resistance. In addition to the high resistance these take forever to finish a balance charge. One cell is typically 0.05 to 0.1V behind whether I am balance charging or storing them.

BTW, the Tattu pack which has also been treated exactly like the other reads 17/18 ohms and barely has more punch than a Ni-based pack when fully charged.

Back when I was flying planes more I had some good luck with Glacier packs but they are pricey compared to the others.

So, what are you running and what kind of luck have you had?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2019, 10:02 AM
Did I make the A Main?
If you want a quality pack that will stand the test of time and can handle demands for 40A charge rates then you can't go wrong with Trinity white carbon packs, they will save you money in the long run because they won't swell up and tend to keep extremely low IR for longer than any other brand of battery (dozens of brands) that I have owned...
https://www.teamtrinity.com/White-Carbon_c_29.html

I am also finding that investing in a quality charger tends to make a difference in getting cells to remain balanced faster and longer life span too, huge fan of the iCharger brand.
Nov 30, 2019, 11:18 AM
I mostly use cheapo Floureon ones. Never had much trouble with them.

The hard case 5200mah 2s and soft case 3000mah 3s I have been especially hard on and they keep coming back for more. 3 years of use out of them so far.

I recently managed to get a couple of 8000mah "kero" branded 100c 2s packs. These are hard case and 2s2p so have plenty of punch. They are manufactured by Fullymax. Managed to get them for crazy money about 13 each because an ebay seller appeared to have gotten a job lot of them and was selling them for whatever they could get for them. I have found these packs to be excellent. They are no bigger than the average 5000mah hard case but have a genuine 8000mah capacity. I use them a lot in my HBX T6 and also my Slash 4x4 and they even fir in stuff like my Tamiya DT03 buggy.

If I ran every day I might invest in something a little more upmarket but being that I only use my stuff 2-3 times a week these cheaper packs seems to be perfectly good.

The only significantly puffed pack I had was a Tunrigy 6600 hard case that came in a rock crawler I purchased. I guess it must have been left plugged in for a prolonged period. I cycled it a few times and most of the swelling went down and it appeared to work ok but it made me nervous so I got rid of it. With 2x 5200 hard packs and 2x 8000 hard packs I didn't really need it anyway.
Nov 30, 2019, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the reply Bill. While I am certain that Trinity pack is better than what I am buying, I just can't hand over that kind of money unless I was pretty serious in racing. If I screw-up and ruin one of my packs then I am frustrated. If I were to screw-up one of those it would be much worse. I am a weekend warrior on a back yard track and looking more for bang vs buck than max power. If my latest Nano-Tech 5.0 don't live a long enough life then I may consider a higher-end pack.

I am charging with a hitec X2 AC/DC, pretty reputable, I guess and an old Hyperion AC/DC. The balance issue seems to be the same on both of these and only with certain packs.
Nov 30, 2019, 11:27 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Yeah, I never had much luck with the Turnigy Nano-Tech packs, they would tend to show signs of swelling after around 6 months and IR would degrade within less than a year with noticeable decrease in capacity. Since performance isn't an issue, then I can see why low budget is a priority... I have heard good things about the Zeee packs on Amazon, I would give those a try if you're looking to pinch some pennies.
Dec 07, 2019, 08:25 PM
yeah turnigy nano tech batteries aren't all that great. I'm actually charging 2 7.4v right now I use in my starter box. they have never balanced good and the IR of each cell is off by quite a lot. one pack has a cell at 4.2 m ohm . the other cell is close to 6 m ohm. i've bought several of the turnigy batteries and they only lasted a year or so of light use on the weekends. the nano tech's seem a lot better than the standard turnigy.

SMC racing has decent batteries for the cost. most of them are very well matched and balance very close. and for their price they also have a decent constant C rating. the guy that owns SMC is particular with what he sells. he knows a lot of Iipo brands have inflated C ratings and talks about it on his website.
I've had some sitting in storage charge since 2016. they're still at 3.78v per cell and their IR is below 3 m ohm.
Last edited by serpentracer; Dec 07, 2019 at 08:30 PM.
Dec 29, 2019, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
I finally had to retire my SMC packs, I could feel them fade after less than 2 minutes on track. I have ordered a pair of 5200 80C Zeee packs ($31.13 on amazon). I read some reviews that seem to indicate that Zeee will send replacements if these aren't good out of the box. And reports indicate that they have a decent life as long as they aren't DOA. Will do an IR test then see what the capacity is after a few runs.
Last edited by fly5150; Jan 03, 2020 at 08:58 AM.
Jan 03, 2020, 09:16 AM
Thread OP
Initial tests find these to be acceptable. My first IR tests were not very good at 8,8,9,10. But now that I have charged each pack and ran it down to 3.8v/Cell. The packs seemed pretty punchy during the run and according to my Eagle Tree monitor I only got ~1800Mah per pack. I retested IR and found much better numbers (2-3/cell).

I let me charger charge and then discharge to 3.2v/call and saw ~5150mah/pack. So, if I discharged all the way to the 3v minimum they would probably reach the spec. I put them back to a storage voltage and retested the IR and found 4-5/cell.

I don't typically test my packs in the detail. I may try running these and my other health packs on track with the Eagle Tree installed. Same vehicle, same LVC. Then I will know how they really compare.
Jan 03, 2020, 02:04 PM
Did I make the A Main?
I have found to get the best IR readings on a fully charged pack, it's best to use the same method when comparing IR readings over time... i.e, don't compare IR between a pack at storage mode with the IR from a fully charged pack and don't compare IR with a fully charged pack within 5 minutes to a fully charged pack that has cooled down for longer than 5-10 minutes... you'll get drastically different readings, especially if you charge the pack at 5A vs 40A.
Jan 05, 2020, 05:31 PM
Premium Registered User
Different brands its good to try different stuff
Last edited by Giant Tortoise; Jan 07, 2020 at 02:24 PM.
Jan 19, 2020, 09:23 AM
I've got 2 Spektrum 6s 5000 50C Smart batteries (nearly brand new, about 2 runs on each) and 2 Venom Sport Power 2s 5000 40C packs (older, unknown runs.) The Spektrums are too new to really comment on, but they have some decent punch on my Mojave, and the run time is decent.

The venom packs are about 2 years old, but still hold their capacity well. They are wearing out though. I plan to replace them soon, as I think they might be getting too old for the Mojave.
Jan 20, 2020, 09:30 AM
User Registered
I still got, and use, the first three of the four LiPo packs that I ever purchased. From back in 2010, my WinMax packs still put out. I did have to put one WinMax pack down last year as it was taking too long to finalize balance charging; internal resistance was on the rise, and could tell one cell was always hot after a run. I don't even know if a person can still find that brand. After using a Zeee shorty pack for the past year, I will be buying more of them as my older WinMax, and Hunger packs fade.

For being 10 year old packs, I have to almost laugh at the max. charge rates printed on the WinMax packs. I totally did not completely understand LiPo batteries back then. Charging that 4200mAh pack at 10C charge rate (42 amps), even today, seems crazy to me.
Last edited by RustyUs; Jan 20, 2020 at 09:35 AM.
Jan 22, 2020, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyUs
For being 10 year old packs, I have to almost laugh at the max. charge rates printed on the WinMax packs. I totally did not completely understand LiPo batteries back then. Charging that 4200mAh pack at 10C charge rate (42 amps), even today, seems crazy to me.
Some of the racers use these sorts of charge rates to warm the packs up while charging, which gives the pack more punch. I expect that the usable lifetime of the pack drops very quickly under these sorts of conditions. Even on my big 6s packs I get nervous charging them above 2C, and rarely charge higher than 1.5C. I couldn't imagine putting 50 amps into the pack without getting real nervous.
Jan 22, 2020, 01:40 PM
Did I make the A Main?
40A charge rates only happen for a short period of time, like maybe 2 min, then the charger slowly reduces the rate around 30A for a couple more minutes, then 20A for a couple min, then 10A for a couple min until the pack is fully charged at around the 8-10 min mark.

The Trinity White Carbon packs I mentioned earlier can handle these charge rates without breaking a sweat, plus they will last well over a year with low IR readings and no signs of swelling.
Jan 22, 2020, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong
40A charge rates only happen for a short period of time, like maybe 2 min, then the charger slowly reduces the rate around 30A for a couple more minutes, then 20A for a couple min, then 10A for a couple min until the pack is fully charged at around the 8-10 min mark.

The Trinity White Carbon packs I mentioned earlier can handle these charge rates without breaking a sweat, plus they will last well over a year with low IR readings and no signs of swelling.
That makes sense. From what I understand as long as the battery is kept fairly cool high charge rates aren't a huge problem (if the pack is in good condition.) I just get itchy with my packs at high charge rates.

Quick Reply