Nov 29, 2019, 07:34 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Discussion

What event??

Its been over a year since the FF bug got me and still cant stop building thierfor am wanting to find out what event each model can enter , heres a list

Korda Wakefield 44 span
Miss cananda 36 span
Korda victory 32 span
Keilkraft senator 36 span
Pacific Ace 40 span
Pacific Ace 30 span
forgot too mention have a lovley R/N Sparrow hawk on board waiting completion which looks to be very competitive......

thiers more but that's enuff to keep me busy at any contest
Last edited by lectroglide; Nov 30, 2019 at 05:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2019, 08:11 PM
If you were in Oz you would be flying them in our Vintage Rubber.

Pre. 1957 X 3 flights X 180. Bonus points do apply here depending on the year.
For example, Senator is 1950, so you get 2 bonus points per year up to 1956 = 12 points that will be added to your score, but 180 is still max.

Bonus points are handy if you don't quite make the max.......i.e. Your model only did 100, plus bonus = 112.
Model did say 170, plus bonus = 180, as 180 is the maximum you can get.

Easy? Clear as mud? Our system works very well and is used in rubber, power and glider.
FWIW 3 of us devised this competition in the mid '70s when I was President of the Free Club in Melbourne.
Nov 29, 2019, 08:50 PM
Here's a link to the SAM rule book
I'm not totally familiar with your planes, I think they may come under rubber fuselage and 4 or 8oz Wakefield.

They will also fall under FAC rules, here's that link: FAC
Dec 03, 2019, 03:21 PM
B for Bruce
With the categoies currently flown at the meets in Oregon the big Korda and big Pac Ace would be in Large Old Time Cabin Rubbers. The rest are all going to fit into Small Old Time Rubber Cabin. The new P30 of course fits into P30.

There is also an event for small and large Mulvihill. I would have to check the local rules for that but I believe at least two of your smaller models would fit in that.
Dec 03, 2019, 04:36 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
With the categoies currently flown at the meets in Oregon the big Korda and big Pac Ace would be in Large Old Time Cabin Rubbers. The rest are all going to fit into Small Old Time Rubber Cabin. The new P30 of course fits into P30.

There is also an event for small and large Mulvihill. I would have to check the local rules for that but I believe at least two of your smaller models would fit in that.
perfect
Dec 03, 2019, 04:38 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
If you were in Oz you would be flying them in our Vintage Rubber.

Pre. 1957 X 3 flights X 180. Bonus points do apply here depending on the year.
For example, Senator is 1950, so you get 2 bonus points per year up to 1956 = 12 points that will be added to your score, but 180 is still max.

Bonus points are handy if you don't quite make the max.......i.e. Your model only did 100, plus bonus = 112.
Model did say 170, plus bonus = 180, as 180 is the maximum you can get.

Easy? Clear as mud? Our system works very well and is used in rubber, power and glider.
FWIW 3 of us devised this competition in the mid '70s when I was President of the Free Club in Melbourne.
looks good
Dec 03, 2019, 11:21 PM
I think the RN Sparrowhawk is for coupe or unlimited., not P-30. BTW, if coupe d'hiver is your kind of model, there's a postal contest for 1960's coupe designs over at Hip Pocket. One of these years I'll build something for it.

Maybe the 30 inch Pacific Ace could be used in P-30? If you launch into thermals, it could be competitive, but that's a big if. However, the rules require an icky plastic prop and less rubber than you might otherwise want to use. If I recall correctly, P-30 is an AMA event.

In the FAC, the models you listed that are old designs and 36 inches or less would probably fit either old time stick or old time cabin.

-------
Gossie:
If I can convince Scotty to beam me and some models over, expect me at one of your events. I think I spent a couple of hours shoveling snow today.
Dec 04, 2019, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I think the RN Sparrowhawk is for coupe or unlimited., not P-30. BTW, if coupe d'hiver is your kind of model, there's a postal contest for 1960's coupe designs over at Hip Pocket. One of these years I'll build something for it.

Maybe the 30 inch Pacific Ace could be used in P-30? If you launch into thermals, it could be competitive, but that's a big if. However, the rules require an icky plastic prop and less rubber than you might otherwise want to use. If I recall correctly, P-30 is an AMA event.

In the FAC, the models you listed that are old designs and 36 inches or less would probably fit either old time stick or old time cabin.

-------
Gossie:
If I can convince Scotty to beam me and some models over, expect me at one of your events. I think I spent a couple of hours shoveling snow today.
Seeing that you know Scotty, get him to beam me over first please......I have an up to date ESTA and Passport, so I'm ready to roll, and hit the white stuff while it's still there.
Will you join me on the moguls?
Dec 04, 2019, 02:33 AM
B for Bruce
The 30 inch Pac Ace would be good for P30 if it is light enough. 10gms of rubber (max motor weight for P30) is not a lot. But if the model is not much heavier than the minimum it could be fun.

Sorry for assuming that the sparrowhawk is a P30.

The coupe event is currently dead in the northwest. But if you made it with a fuselage for a really long motor it could be good for modern open rubber.
Dec 04, 2019, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
Seeing that you know Scotty, get him to beam me over first please......I have an up to date ESTA and Passport, so I'm ready to roll, and hit the white stuff while it's still there.
Will you join me on the moguls?
Sorry, I've never been much of a mogul skier, even back when I had a much better strength to weight ratio. I THINK I can probably still ski ok.
Quote:
snip
Not much of an assumption. I have a kit for the Sparrowhawk P-30 in my basement. It's not by RN, though. I was thinking of trying Easy Built's Ritz ( not all that much like the OTHER Ritz model I know of) in P-30.
Dec 04, 2019, 01:11 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Quote:
The 30 inch Pac Ace would be good for P30 if it is light enough. 10gms of rubber (max motor weight for P30) is not a lot. But if the model is not much heavier than the minimum it could be fun.

The coupe event is currently dead in the northwest. But if you made it with a fuselage for a really long motor it could be good for modern open rubber.
Am gonna haul several models to Oregon and see what happens, the worst they can say is no...………
I believe the hawk fuse is almost as long as the 1939 gollywock but could be mistaken
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 04, 2019 at 01:16 PM.
Dec 04, 2019, 05:06 PM
Something tells me they'll let you fly even the models that don't qualify for an event. At least for fun. Probably you'll get appreciative comments if you have a good flight, and help after bad ones if you ask for it. At least that's what ff contests around here are like.
Dec 04, 2019, 07:02 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Right, I have some really nice models that am itching to fly and sort out so even if they don't fit into a certain class the trim and flying experience should be fruitful...…..

speaking of contest, what class would a Keilkraft Senator be rated for??? 5.8 oz. AUW 34 span 23 G rubber
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 04, 2019 at 07:15 PM.
Dec 05, 2019, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide
Right, I have some really nice models that am itching to fly and sort out so even if they don't fit into a certain class the trim and flying experience should be fruitful...…..

speaking of contest, what class would a Keilkraft Senator be rated for??? 5.8 oz. AUW 34 span 23 G rubber
There was or perhaps is still a SENATOR world wide postal event, that I got 1st in 2014 with this one.
Do a search and join in if it's still being held.

FWIW this one weighs 58 grams, see the scale, plus 30 grams of motor=88 grams total. Just over 3 ounces.
Last edited by gossie; Dec 05, 2019 at 12:07 AM.
Dec 05, 2019, 12:48 AM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Looks good and glad to see your DT setup...seems to me some models I have or are asking about are oldtimers and don't comply to many of todays contest standards, but Ive been known to be wrong, like your prop and looks to be the same size as mine which is 13in.....are those ok for the mail contest your referring too?

looks like you have me beat for model weight, reguardless they fly like a dream
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 05, 2019 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply