Thread Tools
Nov 29, 2019, 03:07 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

Help identify an old sail plane


Hi everyone, I'm trying to identify an old sail plane I was given almost 25 years ago. It's a 2 meter, t tail, with ailerons. Definitely was built from either a kit or plans. Anyone recognize it? Or know where I should aim to have the CG?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2019, 03:12 AM
Registered User
I think it might be a Bob Martin Bobcat. Plans on Outerzone.
Nov 29, 2019, 04:50 AM
Registered User
3810's Avatar
Second that
Nov 29, 2019, 04:57 AM
May the Wind Always be Good
Yes it is a Bob Cat
Nov 29, 2019, 04:49 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Awesome! Thanks!
Nov 30, 2019, 10:39 AM
Intermediate Multi
Trisquire's Avatar
Not to change the subject, but that mineral collection behind it looks interesting too.
Nov 30, 2019, 09:56 PM
Slope Soarer
Second the Bobcat. But with a dorsal fin added. I did that too after I broke the fuselage just in front of the fin. The working rudder was optional., I used mine and for a while coupled it to the ailerons 1:1.
Dec 01, 2019, 09:14 PM
Registered User
VCscott's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351
Hi everyone, I'm trying to identify an old sail plane I was given almost 25 years ago. It's a 2 meter, t tail, with ailerons. Definitely was built from either a kit or plans. Anyone recognize it? Or know where I should aim to have the CG?
Wow, thatís a nice Bobcat, I didnít recognize it at first. I built one around 1991, thought it would be cool to have an aileron floater. It was okay, but left a bit to be desired. I built a second Bobcat several years ago as a retro mod for slope soaring. I took some liberties with the kit, redesigned the wing and such. It is 40oz and fully aerobatic, turned out real nice and is a blast to fly.

You got a sweet rare glider there, have fun with it!

Scott
Dec 02, 2019, 01:52 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChacon
Second the Bobcat. But with a dorsal fin added. I did that too after I broke the fuselage just in front of the fin. The working rudder was optional., I used mine and for a while coupled it to the ailerons 1:1.
I wouldn't have something like a Bobcat without a rudder. Really helps when slow. I wouldn't have much coupling on it because sometimes the ailerons should be one way while the rudder goes the other way.

I had a 2T, which I think had just about the same fuselage. Sometimes the fuselage would break at the front of the fin. If I built another, I would look at reinforcing that area and at using a real airfoil for the fin so there was more area for gluing the horizontal stab on. It often broke off.
Dec 02, 2019, 09:51 PM
Registered User
The Bobcat was the first airplane I really learned to crash, then fly. Sorta.

Definitely needs the rudder.
Dec 03, 2019, 09:07 AM
Slope Soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I wouldn't have something like a Bobcat without a rudder. Really helps when slow. I wouldn't have much coupling on it because sometimes the ailerons should be one way while the rudder goes the other way.
That's why I decoupled it in the radio after a while and did it in my hands. But the coupling in the radio helped when I was learning to fly an A-E-R plane.
Dec 07, 2019, 12:22 AM
Surf's up!!
sixty9mustang's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCscott
Wow, thatís a nice Bobcat, I didnít recognize it at first. I built one around 1991, thought it would be cool to have an aileron floater. It was okay, but left a bit to be desired. I built a second Bobcat several years ago as a retro mod for slope soaring. I took some liberties with the kit, redesigned the wing and such. It is 40oz and fully aerobatic, turned out real nice and is a blast to fly.

You got a sweet rare glider there, have fun with it!

Scott

That is a beautiful looking Bobcat! Nice job!


Chip
Dec 08, 2019, 02:44 PM
Registered User
VCscott's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang
That is a beautiful looking Bobcat! Nice job!


Chip
Thanks Chip.

Funny thing, I see them on eBay often but have never seen anybody else fly one.

Scott
Dec 09, 2019, 12:28 AM
Surf's up!!
sixty9mustang's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCscott
Thanks Chip.

Funny thing, I see them on eBay often but have never seen anybody else fly one.

Scott



We had a gentleman up here that flew one a couple years ago in our ALES contests, it just wasn't very competitive. On slope I bet they are fun!


Chip
Dec 09, 2019, 07:11 PM
Registered User
I've seen other Martin designs around, though not lately. I think I only saw the Bobcat once.

I suspect that the Bobcat is one of those gliders that needs a moderately good day to be competitive.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Need Help Identifying an Old Twin Flying Boat MattZC Waterplanes 4 Jun 18, 2017 10:29 AM
Discussion Help Identifying an old Rc Yacht RcSailer Vintage & Old-Timer Boats 3 Nov 18, 2016 05:42 PM
Discussion help needed identifying an old hull nwalker Dock Talk 6 Aug 20, 2016 01:01 PM
Discussion Help identifying an old plane gettinout Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 8 Jul 20, 2015 08:22 PM
Discussion identify an old sailing boat richardross Sailboats 11 Sep 12, 2014 10:13 AM