This thread is privately moderated by aussief3b, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 01, 2020, 03:02 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger
There are no FO scores on GS and none posted here. What were the results?
Don't have scores but the order was
1) Gardner
2) Dick P.
3) Brady
4) Frank
5) Mickey
6) Gordon

Two mishaps Gordon Folded a wing on his first FO launch. My third flight was full time but the altimeter readout malfunctioned with no readout, so I got a zero.

Mike flew really well in flyoffs. Congratulations to everyone.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2020, 03:24 PM
Service Engine Soon
Mike is flying F3J next two days but
Mike , Dick, Brady, Franky, Mickey.
Dick got in the fly off because Pete was hunger and didn't hang around for the flyoff .
Gordon blew his wing in round one I thought but I didn't see it in the Video ?
Thanks for the Video by the way Fabien and very well narrated.
Mar 01, 2020, 03:28 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thanks for sharing guys, looks like a challenging and well flown event. But how do you blow a wing in F5J???

Mickey, if you were using an Altis limiter sometimes the CD in Tour events will allow you to display the altitude log since it usually will still show the start height in the altitude graph.

--Chris
Mar 01, 2020, 03:29 PM
The fly off pilots were the top 6:
Brady Baggs, Gordon Buckland, Frank Burnoski, Peter Schlitzkus, Mickey Nowell, and Michael Gardner.

However, Peter left early and was replaced by yours truly, Richard Proseus. Final results:
1 Michael. (Started in 6th)
2 Richard. (I should not have even been in the fly-offs! Thanks you Peter.)
3 Brady. (I hate I stuck you with a 500 pt round)
4 Frank
5 Mickey. (First event. Way to go!)
6 Gordon (Unfortunate disaster from a violent maneuver)

The fly off was anything but normal. As the video shows the first round was a disaster. Gordon blew up his plane on launch, and most of the flights were in the 2-3 minute range. My 4:40 gave me a huge lead over most. 3 of the field maxed the 2nd round (I think) and all maxed the 3rd. This is what I thought, I have not seen any scores. For flights 2 and 3 there was huge lift if you were in the right place and followed it. Planes were very high after only 2-3 minutes. Coming over a slight rise and landing slightly down hill made for quite a challenge.

Dick
Mar 01, 2020, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the reports! Congratulations to all the FO pilots! Mickey, were you initializing your A/MRT in the pits or at the line? We found out at Nats last year that it makes a difference. I always do mine at my launch spot due to this and for safety's sake. Just an idea.

Dave R.
Mar 01, 2020, 04:30 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger
Thanks for the reports! Congratulations to all the FO pilots! Mickey, were you initializing your A/MRT in the pits or at the line? We found out at Nats last year that it makes a difference. I always do mine at my launch spot due to this and for safety's sake. Just an idea.

Dave R.
On the line. New battery each flight.
Don't know what the issue was. It had worked all contest.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Mar 01, 2020, 05:45 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Wrapping up day one of F3J. I'll try to post some more tonight. I am out of the comp with a broken model so I found some time to post the scores.
Mar 01, 2020, 06:24 PM
Ok, so the 3rd Sunny and Warm in FL F5J is in the books. Thank you to everyone who came down to Kennyworld and flew our F5J event. The competitors make a contest and the finest showed up! I also cannot thank the OWLS club enough for hosting us and Kenny's family for allowing us to use the house and barn.

On Friday we got in 9 demanding rounds. There were only two pilots to make it through the first day with no zeros, Brady and Frankie. It was a really hard day. I personally had 3 zeros. Saturday seemed to be starting warmer and with less wind. The temperature was much nicer but the wind came back in force. We were originally going to fly 4 rounds, but we got started a little earlier and were able to get in all 14 preliminary rounds.

Solid flying by Brady, Frankie, Peter, Gordon, Mickey, and myself put us as the 6 competitors to enter in the fly-offs. Mickey's first F5J contest and he pulled out a 5th place prelim finish! Peter flew a great contest as well. He made times when others landed out or motored up. Unfortunately, he had a prior commitment so Dick took moved up into the fly-offs.

The first round was completely horrible conditions. A 4:10 was put up by Dick. I don't know what happened to Gordon. I heard a clap and a smack. I knew whatever happened wasn't good. Later in the round I saw Gordon walking back with a bunch of pieces. Ugh, never a good thing in a contest. Sorry, mate. Brady just got the short straw. I had to do a triple check on the scores. Brady flew an absolutely perfect contest till this point. Honestly, the best pilot of the weekend was Brady Baggs. I thought I had a read on air that was going to be midway down the field. When I got there it was buoyant, but being at 70oz it wasn't enough to sustain my model as it moved down wind. I new I had to get a landing to stay in the game and came back and nailed a 50.

The second round came much easier. Having flown at this field I ignored downwind reads and decided that I'd attempt the ridge lift out front and wait for something to kick off. I executed this perfectly and had a great flight. The landing, not so hot. Frankie had a motor/battery issue which got him the lowest launch for the day and an unfortunate score for the fly-offs.

Finally, for the third, and final fly-off round, I decided I'd execute the same plan. My timer, Jeff Carr, was very persistent before and during the launch that I be conservative because I had a good position. I didn't think that I was ahead in the points but none-the-less decided to go for a higher launch. I waited and got my ride, just like the other pilots.

In the end I went from 6th to 1st and Dick took an entry from 7th to 2nd. All the fly-off competitors gave it their all in conditions which calling "unsatisfactory" is an understatement. I'm very proud of the level of competition in the fly-offs and am humbled with the company in which I flew. Taking 1st place was totally unexpected and I was not prepared for this. I later double and triple checked the scores. This was the first fly-offs that I had I made at a F5J event and it ended in a way that I had totally not expected.

Again, I want to thank everyone that came. I cannot understate this at all. I CD the event because I want people to fly with and the competitors delivered. I couldn't have done this event without the help of John Kennedy and Richard John from the St. Augustine RC Fliers. They provided the timing system and landing tapes, helped setup and tear down. The OWLS club and Kenny Goodwin's family provide us with a great place to fly. I hope we can continue coming here for many years as the location is great, the flying is challenging, and the amenities are awesome.

From a CD's perspective I saw a number of things that I could improve upon. Every contest I host I try to improve on the last. This year we merged the F5J and F3J into one weekend. Next year I'm going to take another step forward in providing a contest that is first class in the US. Hopefully we'll attract more pilots from other countries. Thank you to those that came from far distances. Thank you to those that only took a short drive. I had fun and I hope y'all did as well.

We're going to start looking at weekends for next year. I'm going to do my best to deliver on the sunny and the warm; I can't guarantee breezy or not windy. Don't forget, there's Tennessee F5J coming up and mid-South a week after. I hope to see y'all again soon and to see you down here in FL next year!
Last edited by mikejr83; Mar 01, 2020 at 06:48 PM.
Mar 01, 2020, 09:40 PM
Whew! F3J day one is done. I'm out for the competition but there is a lot of great flying being done!
Mar 01, 2020, 10:36 PM
2 infect U it 1st has 2 find U
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
Don't forget, there's Tennessee F5J coming up...
Does that mean you'll be skipping the ALES contest on May 16 at the Christmas field?
Latest blog entry: A short message...
Mar 02, 2020, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Does that mean you'll be skipping the ALES contest on May 16 at the Christmas field?
5J isn't the same as ALES Mike. I was announcing the next contests that I could remember that are 5J events. It would be awesome if we could work that class into FSS.
Mar 02, 2020, 08:33 AM
Getting ready to start!
Mar 02, 2020, 08:58 AM
F3J scores please
Mar 02, 2020, 09:07 AM
2 infect U it 1st has 2 find U
†††
Last edited by Miami Mike; Mar 02, 2020 at 01:31 PM.
Mar 02, 2020, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOLOVINS
F3J scores please
http://www.f3xevents.com/release/F3J...F3JFLORIDA2020

Had a mid-air in the 2nd group of the first round so we're just now getting done with the last flight group of the first round. Scores are updated when pilots enter their times.

Quick Reply