This thread is privately moderated by R_G, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 28, 2019, 09:07 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Discussion

Sebart Mythos 50e Carbon Landing Gear Upgrade

This past flying season I flew my new Sebart Mythos 50e for the first time and I really liked the way it flew and presented in the air. The only real complaint I had with the model was the spongy aluminum landing gear. The gear was not up to the task of handling the rough grass field that I fly from.

I liked the model well enough that I decided to splurge and purchased a pair of carbon fiber landing gear struts (Item #543) from f3alorenz.de. The carbon gear are a perfect match to the aluminum gear.

So, I spent part of this Turkey Day upgrading the landing gear.

Ralph
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2019, 09:16 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
I had an issue with having to hold a severe amount of right rudder during taxiing and the takeoff roll. Before removing the factory struts I wanted to check the track of the gear.

I made up a pair of tracking "skis" from some 1/8" x 3/4" x 3/4" aluminum angle and found the left wheel was angled outward quite a bit while the right wheel was straight. Not the fault of the aluminum gear, but rather an assembly screw up by Yours Truely!

Ralph
Nov 28, 2019, 09:24 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
I started by drilling the necessary holes in the carbon gear by using the aluminum gear as a drill jig. The aluminum gear was attached to the carbon gear with double side tape. I made sure the two pieces were aligned as well as possible to avoid any misalignment issues during mounting. Very sharp drill bits were used to prevent fraying the carbon fiber cloth while drilling.

Ralph
Nov 28, 2019, 09:39 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
After the holes were drilled it was time to reinstall the gear struts.

I like to use washers under the heads of just about any screw that gets installed anywhere, but it was a little tough getting the washers to where they needed to be, so I attached the washers to the struts using a few tiny drops of CA.

With the struts in place in the fuselage it was also a bit tricky getting the screws in the holes without them falling off my hex driver. A little poster putty on the end of the hex driver solved that problem pretty well!

I also added a small amount of Loctite 242 to the threads of each screw.

Ralph
Last edited by R_G; Nov 29, 2019 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Nov 28, 2019, 09:45 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
The carbon gear is a little thicker than the aluminum ones so I had to open up the slot in the fuselage just a bit.

Once the gear struts were in I again checked the track and set them for just a small amount of toe-in. Hopefully this will help the Mythos to track much better on the ground than it did before.

Ralph
Nov 28, 2019, 10:01 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
The wheels and pants were reinstalled in the same manner as they were on the aluminum struts.

I wasn't planning on using the landing gear covers/fairings again so one final touch was to cover those ugly mounting slots in the fuselage with a few small, quarter size pieces of Ultracote. The Ultracote color match list for the covering on this model can be found in this post.

The Mythos 50e now has a sexy new pair of legs!

Ralph
Nov 28, 2019, 10:03 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
As a side note.....the carbon fiber landing gear is, by my scale, 1.49 ounces lighter than the aluminum version. Lighter is almost always better!

Ralph

Quick Reply