Nov 30, 2019, 06:02 PM
A man with a plan
I'm glad you made a complaint. When I'm looking for Saito engines, or Surpass engines, or whatever specific thing I want, I don't want to see a bunch of irrelevant listings for twelve other brands. It's pretty annoying. I've reported dozens of spam listings.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2019, 07:12 PM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
He's back at it.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-OS-O...sAAOSwzZFdxybv
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Nov 30, 2019, 07:28 PM
I'm a balsa butcher
What's the problem? The description is correct and there are no other brands listed in the description.
Nov 30, 2019, 07:41 PM
A man with a plan
Item specifics
Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items). See the seller's ... Read more
Type: Enya 35 .35 40 .40 four stroke r/c engine
Required Assembly: Oliver Tiger Barbini diesel Model: OS / O.S. Max .40 FS-40 OS FS 40 FS-40 rc engine
MPN: OS / O.S. .26 FS-26 OS FS 26 FS-26 ; r/c engine Country/Region of Manufacture: Japan
Fuel Type: model airplane aeroplane plane diesel engine Scale: HP VT 21.21 25 .25 49 .49 rc plane engine
Brand: OS / O.S. Max Type 6 K6 K 6 ignition engine Color: Saito FA 30 .30 40 .40 four stroke rc engine
Nov 30, 2019, 08:41 PM
I'm a balsa butcher
I ignore all that because it isn't relevant. It's only there so the eBay listing program knows where to put it. He most likely has a bot doing the listing for him.

I tend not to buy off eBay anymore because it is swamped with commercial vendors and auto bidders.
Nov 30, 2019, 11:09 PM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by udlman
I ignore all that because it isn't relevant. It's only there so the eBay listing program knows where to put it. He most likely has a bot doing the listing for him
He’s listing this under toy/hobbies. Let’s not make excuses for him.
Others have listed dozens of irrelevant brands under brand names. He puts brand names in other categories
Dec 01, 2019, 01:14 AM
A man with a plan
It is relevant, because if you're searching for a Saito 30 or an HP VT 21 you'll get his engine in your results. No big deal, but if everybody lists like that the search function will be useless.
Dec 01, 2019, 07:46 AM
Oxford Panic
Whenever I search Ebay I always get a whole list of irrelevant stuff so what's different here.
Dec 01, 2019, 08:01 AM
Well, I think this thread shows you why the search function doesn't work.

It is up to ebay I guess, they can do whatever they want if they think that it will help them to make a profit....
Dec 01, 2019, 08:22 AM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
if everybody lists like that the search function will be useless.
I hadn't even considered that nightmare. eBay started as a marketplace for Beanie Babies, imagine if that [email protected] was still coming up in our searches. To make the site more useful and appealing to a broader group of sellers, they needed to implement a mechanism for narrowing down the market.

It's not going to be perfect because the company that oversees the venue may not be competent enough to know an MVVS from an Enya (and sellers can make honest mistakes, hence the importance of photos) but seeing these names under so many different categories should raise a few eyebrows to someone with a basic understanding of English
Dec 01, 2019, 08:48 AM
Yes, a basic understanding of English should be more than enough:

" Color: Taipan Webra Rossi Super Tigre Irvine 15 2.5cc 2.5 "

There isn't even an actual color in there...
Dec 01, 2019, 10:19 AM
Oxford Panic
This be a better way to search Ebay. It's some kind of 3rd party search engine which is better than Ebay can manage for themselves...
https://picclick.co.uk/

A.
Dec 01, 2019, 10:25 AM
A man with a plan
Anybody with a basic understanding of English can discern an irrelevant search result, but it can be a problem if everybody spams the search terms. There may be only 2 dozen of what you're looking for, but you'll have to wade through an ocean of spam before you see them all. It's not at a problematic level currently, but I always report spam search terms when I see them, to do my part to maintain a useful search environment. I haven't been on ebay in several months, but I reported the listing that was posted above, just because.

In fact, I searched Enya 19, and then Saito 30, and I didn't receive any spam results at all. It looks like we're doing pretty well in the Engines category at the moment.
Dec 01, 2019, 01:06 PM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris
Yes, a basic understanding of English should be more than enough:

" Color: Taipan Webra Rossi Super Tigre Irvine 15 2.5cc 2.5 "

There isn't even an actual color in there...
So why is it so hard getting through to the eBay call center in Pakistan ?
Dec 01, 2019, 09:40 PM
Cause their all in Aus Tom , watching their cricket team getting beat . Someone probably left a light on to make it look like they were home . Sorry mate couldn't resist .

Quick Reply